News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Queuing

Started by Westy, January 29, 2024, 07:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

Do people have a problem with a simple queue these days?

Take the 529 in Walsall Bus Station for example.

You are supposed to queue along the glass fence, but you get people hanging around on the opposite site next to the main queue, in the hope of 'jumping in'.

I had to stop someone this morning from jumping in front of me.

'Excuse me. Queue!'

The same happens with the 31 & 32 stops as well!

Gareth

It happens at every stop on every route. Queuing is a thing of the past it seems. It's the worst part of traveling by bus. Especially when a bus is missing or a bus is late.

Quote from: Gareth on January 29, 2024, 10:28:25 AMIt happens at every stop on every route. Queuing is a thing of the past it seems. It's the worst part of traveling by bus. Especially when a bus is missing or a bus is late.
At the stops in the City it feels like hardly anyone queues these days.

I've even seen someone go right to the front before people who'd been waiting a while, at the same time as saying on the phone to someone they hope nobody pushes infront of themself.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

karl724223

What pisses me off is passengers getting on the bus as soon as the doors open before the passengers on the bus have got off then they are in the way on the platform gets my goat up that does 

hlliwmai

Quote from: karl724223 on January 29, 2024, 02:00:06 PMWhat pisses me off is passengers getting on the bus as soon as the doors open before the passengers on the bus have got off then they are in the way on the platform gets my goat up that does

I actually agree with you @karl724223 whenever I board a bus I always wait for passengers to alight before stepping on board  

Jack

Quote from: karl724223 on January 29, 2024, 02:00:06 PMWhat pisses me off is passengers getting on the bus as soon as the doors open before the passengers on the bus have got off then they are in the way on the platform gets my goat up that does
I agree but what grinds on me is the people who stand up when the bus has fully stopped. Its so annoying getting on thinking everyone's got off then you are being squashed as you couldn't see them.

Trident 4194

Wanna know the solution to that? Don't open your doors until the passengers are ready to alight 

Jack

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 29, 2024, 02:29:21 PMWanna know the solution to that? Don't open your doors until the passengers are ready to alight
Agreed, yet the drivers bang on about 'conflict avoidance' that's one way of avoiding it!

karl724223

Quote from: Trident 4194 on January 29, 2024, 02:29:21 PMWanna know the solution to that? Don't open your doors until the passengers are ready to alight
You open the doors for passengers to get off but passengers get on before they have got off. Read what was posted  another bright spark 

Jack

Quote from: karl724223 on January 29, 2024, 02:45:35 PMYou open the doors for passengers to get off but passengers get on before they have got off. Read what was posted  another bright spark
Well then they shouldn't stand up and start walking when the bus has opened its doors?

I've noticed that's become an issue ever since Covid. 

BlackCountryBusSpotter

I notice at the other end the 529 in Wolverhampton has a Queue and the 59 and the X8, the Number 10 of a morning doesn't have a Queue or never used to assuming it still doesn't, the older matter College Kids would Queue with the few other non school kid regulars, the school kids formed a massive Rugby Scrum meaning the Queue needed someone like Owen Farrell to get past the kids and as that journey the 08:15 from Wolverhampton to Perton used to be Single Decker it sometimes meant the Older regular passengers and a lot of the college kids would have to stand. They never put a notice up as other of times of day it had a Queue. The Number 1 also of a morning never a Queue. The 79 when it served stand R never had a Queue in fact they had to put up a notice or two asking passengers to wait twoards the X8 stand Stand S in a Queue as people again formed a rugby scrum from the Seats by the Travel information boards and from right outside the doors and to the left behind the NIS Screen that merged with the orderly Queue on the right. People were allowed to jump into that Queue from the Seats as people would let them join as they were before them. If you were say 10th in the Queue you usually ended up being in the middle of the scrum or the last on. The X51 when I caught that does have a Queue outside the Courts. My Dad said it never used to so if the X51 to Cannock turned up people going to Walsall would jump in front and get on meaning people were waiting half an hour or so for the next X51 to Cannock. My Dad says people then realised that people to Cannock and Bloxwhich should get on that bus so a Queue formed for passengers to Walsall or before and the X51 passengers for Walsall and beyond. There isn't a queue for the 34/37/39 in Darlaston or the 4's. When Thandi used to serve the stop in between both this meant no one could to the right so again it was a Scrum but then a Queue when the Bus pulled up did form. Now it is possible now Thandi don't stop there anymore. But I tend to find passengers queuing depends on the time of day, service and clientle. Ie the X51 clientle have figured out the passengers to Cannock have priority over Walsall passengers unless a Walsall bus turns up first, the 529 and 59 in Wolverhampton Queue as they don't have long to wait for the next bus and are on the end of the row of stands. But the 10 of a morning and the 79 which gets a lot of kids even at Peak they don't tend to Queue and all push forward. I've been stood behind my 6'4 mate and got on 2 minutes after him as so many people pushed in front.
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

BrumKev86

I found definitely in the West Midlands there is no such thing as queuing for the bus. If I did try and queue, I would just get idiots just pushing in. Worst time was when waiting for the X12 in Solihull Town Centre, lots of elderly people queuing in the bus shelter. Then all of a sudden loads of school kids appear, just stood at front of the queue when they we were all waiting 15 mins plus. I had a go at a couple of them for trying to push in. It's just rude and bad manners to not only push in but to not let elderly passengers on first.

Since moving to the south west it's completely different down here. People actually queue for the bus everywhere, even in Bristol Bus Station. Before First moved the Y1 service from the bus station, the queue would go straight down past other stands during peak times, which would be confusing as you never knew what queue to be in!.
Grew up in Great Barr, now living in North Somerset

Wumpty

I agree with the conflict avoidance system and that there's a lack of queueing.

This is where the London double door buses contribute towards effective loading/offloading and avoids platform conflict.

Sadly, society has a lack of manners.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Mike K

You can add queueing (or lack of) to the list of many annoyances which, due to selfish a***holes, make bus travel today such an unpleasant experience. These include:

Bags on seats, and not moving them until asked
Waiting until the bus has fully stopped before casually strolling from your seat (usually upstairs near the back) to get off, holding up the bus and everyone else up at your expense
Shoes on the rear facing seats downstairs
Assuming that everyone else wants to hear the crap you're watching on TikTok etc
Eating and drinking then using the bus as a rubbish bin
Buses that smell like a public convenience

I could go on.

Stu

Yes, there's nothing worse than trying to step off a bus only to have a crowd of people stood right by the door outside!

I agree with many of the comments already posted, there is a general lack of manners, respect and consideration amongst the general public nowadays, people are just so utterly selfish and ignorant.

I remember one morning waiting for the 2 at the Billesley Common stop, there was me and two other people waiting behind me. The bus pulled up at the stop and as usual there were a load of schoolgirls getting off, so I and these two others were stood waiting patiently for them all to disembark. Someone else then just appeared out of nowhere, walked in front of me, and stepped onto the bus while it was still unloading! What a wanker!

Quote from: Jack on January 29, 2024, 02:24:55 PMI agree but what grinds on me is the people who stand up when the bus has fully stopped. Its so annoying getting on thinking everyone's got off then you are being squashed as you couldn't see them.

If you mean people waiting until the bus has actually stopped before moving towards the front, yes I have noticed more people doing this in the last couple of years.
I can understand the elderly and infirm remaining in their seats until the bus has come to a stop, but not fit and healthy young men & women sat at the rear of the top deck. It just adds to the dwell time at stops in my opinion.

Quote from: Mike K on January 29, 2024, 03:37:33 PMBags on seats, and not moving them until asked

Waiting until the bus has fully stopped before casually strolling from your seat (usually upstairs near the back) to get off, holding up the bus and everyone else up at your expense
Shoes on the rear facing seats downstairs
Assuming that everyone else wants to hear the crap you're watching on TikTok etc
Eating and drinking then using the bus as a rubbish bin
Buses that smell like a public convenience
With the exception of your last point, I have experienced all of those and yes it does irritate me too!

Quote from: BrumKev86 on January 29, 2024, 02:58:57 PMSince moving to the south west it's completely different down here. People actually queue for the bus everywhere, even in Bristol Bus Station. Before First moved the Y1 service from the bus station, the queue would go straight down past other stands during peak times, which would be confusing as you never knew what queue to be in!.

You've reminded me what it was like at Aberystwyth bus station when I was there last year. I was going to get the 512 back to Borth where I was staying, and there was a huge queue already loading when I arrived at the stop. But it was a pleasant queue, everyone patiently boarding, and despite being a little Enviro200, everyone was accommodated, all seats taken, with just a couple choosing to stand.

Almost a complete contrast to the attitudes of many passengers here in the West Midlands. 
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk