News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Mechanics

Started by Ginger66, June 08, 2022, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginger66

Not sure if this question as been asked before.

Was the older buses easy to repair such as the Leyland nationals/fleetliner or MCW metrobus or are the newer buses such as the Enviros easy to repair

My thought is the newer buses you can hook up a laptop and do a diagnostic and it will pin point the problem but if you was to look at the Guy Arab buses the mechanic would have to strip everything down to get the route of the problem

B61 ANDREW

Going back 25 plus years , I had a spell driving "HGV's" and always carried a pocket full of spare fuses and made sure a lump hammer was kept in the cab.   :wink:

Wumpty

Quote from: Ginger66 on June 08, 2022, 08:38:29 PMNot sure if this question as been asked before.

Was the older buses easy to repair such as the Leyland nationals/fleetliner or MCW metrobus or are the newer buses such as the Enviros easy to repair

My thought is the newer buses you can hook up a laptop and do a diagnostic and it will pin point the problem but if you was to look at the Guy Arab buses the mechanic would have to strip everything down to get the route of the problem
It depends on which side of the fence you sit - old fashioned mechanics or new technology.

Arguably, old fashioned mechanical engines didn't have a bank of computer systems monitoring their every move and relied on knowledgable mechanics to troubleshoot and fix manually. I remember talking to an engineer a few years back who rued the day that he couldn't attempt to fix an engine without someone plugging it into a laptop first. He was a huge Gardner 6LXB fan and knew everything their was to know about Metrobuses and Fleetlines. He was also instrumental in the conversion of Leyland Nationals from the fixed head and clackety 510 engines to the DAF and Volvo conversions of the early 90s.

I imagine that the new technology of the Tridents, Enviros and Platinums streamline diagnostics by plugging them into a laptop for fault codes, though still needing a human to fix it. 

Old fashioned mechanical for me anyday!
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk