News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Old Bus Routes

Started by Busboy105, June 15, 2020, 07:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busboy105

While taking a walk in Small Heath, I came across an old bus stop on St Benedicts Road. On closer inspection, the flag says Travel West Midlands and the service 89 below. (Its hard to see at first glance, the flag is faded apart from a bus logo and the words Bus Stop).
My question is that does anyone know anything about this 89 route?

ellspurs

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 15, 2020, 07:37:17 PM
While taking a walk in Small Heath, I came across an old bus stop on St Benedicts Road. On closer inspection, the flag says Travel West Midlands and the service 89 below. (Its hard to see at first glance, the flag is faded apart from a bus logo and the words Bus Stop).

There used to be a 98 that went down St. Benedict's Road. It ran from Hay Mills Asda car park to Sheldon, the Wheatsheaf via every back road it could find (Ward End, Bromford, Shard End, Garratts Green, The Radleys, Common Road).

It seems at some point this became the 89 although I can't remember when and what route changes there were. This later amalgamated with the 693 (Castle Bromwich circular) to become the 689, which then merged with the 663 to become the 91, which was renamed the 53 that we have today (please correct me if I'm wrong, doing this out of distant memories).

I would love to have copies of all of these timetables so I could document the changes in routes and timetables from the WMPTE era but the load I had in the late 90s/early 00s all got water damaged and thrown out while I was at uni.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 15, 2020, 07:37:17 PM
I think there was a 89 briefly, it might of been originally a 689 (I'm not sure)
The 28 originally used St. Benedicts Road, I used it regularly when i used to live near by on Burlington Road (where I was brought up), it was re-routed via Heybarnes Road in the early 1990's due to speed humps on St. Benedicts Road. Then around 1994 a 28C was introduced during shopping periods between Ward End and Hay Mills (ASDA) using St. Benedicts Road and ran every 40 minutes. This was soon replaced an extended 98, this was probably replaced the 89.

Busboy105

Quote from: Steve3229vp on June 15, 2020, 08:34:20 PM
I think there was a 89 briefly, it might of been originally a 689 (I'm not sure)
The 28 originally used St. Benedicts Road, I used it regularly when i used to live near by on Burlington Road (where I was brought up), it was re-routed via Heybarnes Road in the early 1990's due to speed humps on St. Benedicts Road. Then around 1994 a 28C was introduced during shopping periods between Ward End and Hay Mills (ASDA) using St. Benedicts Road and ran every 40 minutes. This was soon replaced an extended 98, this was probably replaced the 89.
Quote from: ellspurs on June 15, 2020, 07:57:18 PM
There used to be a 98 that went down St. Benedict's Road. It ran from Hay Mills Asda car park to Sheldon, the Wheatsheaf via every back road it could find (Ward End, Bromford, Shard End, Garratts Green, The Radleys, Common Road).

It seems at some point this became the 89 although I can't remember when and what route changes there were. This later amalgamated with the 693 (Castle Bromwich circular) to become the 689, which then merged with the 663 to become the 91, which was renamed the 53 that we have today (please correct me if I'm wrong, doing this out of distant memories).

I would love to have copies of all of these timetables so I could document the changes in routes and timetables from the WMPTE era but the load I had in the late 90s/early 00s all got water damaged and thrown out while I was at uni.
The 663 was renumbered to the 53 around 2013, I don't remember a 91.
Thanks for the information guys.

the trainbasher

The 98 was I believe numbered 24, prior to that it was part of the 28, but was changed to now be the 28a.

The one @ellspurs mentioned was the 99, changed to be the 689 IIRC

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

CBBUser

I can't recall the route number, but the origin of the route was in a minibus route from Fox & Goose to Poolway. The child fare from Bromford Road to Fox and Goose was 8p - if that helps to age it. It ran a very convoluted route, originally via brockhurst road, Bromford road, collingbourne avenue, chipperfield road, Firs Estate, Heathway, middle Leaford and through to the Pool Way.

It wa extended at both ends through to Asda Small Heath, and the Wheatsheaf. I suppose parts of the route are now the 25, 53 & 58

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Steveminor on June 15, 2020, 09:36:57 PM
The etms today are light years ahead of the old way3 kit operators used to use & give far more information regarding the passes.
Regarding Torbay encts passes we had a couple (before lockdown who were visiting from Torbay & their passes would not scan. It was traced to incorrect coding on Torbay councils part.

What you are doing on First buses I.e showing your photo before scanning "should" be the correct procedure on all buses, but we know that with the speed of todays society that does not really happen.

I remember the old mid red west inspectors not wishing them any disrespect but they had no real knowledge of deregulation as they were clueless as to why Pete's Travel were running the 440 just in front of their bus as "aren't you 5 mins early & hang on theres another 440 just behind we'll  need to speak to someone about this" was their comment lol
If you knew Nick Bye as well as I do then Torbay Council & public transport well ahem cough sadly but Torbay has the 12 thanks to Stagecoach oh & Pete's Travel yes I remember them well didn't they pull of the 440 commercially & it ended up under contract to Centro as the 123 @Steveminor I wonder what ever happened to them not sure they are still trading unlike First Midland Red  Buses Limited but as Dame Shirley Bassey once said Diamonds are forever.........

Steveminor

The 440 was merged with the already tendered 123 to create a new link between handsworth & Merry hill & continued right through to Rotala days although passenger numbers had been in decline for a while due to various factors even the 40x had to change to try to survive.
As for First Midland Red I think mr eggleton is doing a settler job however their heyday are behind them & today they are a shadow of their former selves

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Steveminor on June 16, 2020, 04:26:23 AM
The 440 was merged with the already tendered 123 to create a new link between handsworth & Merry hill & continued right through to Rotala days although passenger numbers had been in decline for a while due to various factors even the 40x had to change to try to survive.
As for First Midland Red I think mr eggleton is doing a settler job however their heyday are behind them & today they are a shadow of their former selves
I always keep an eye on former Midland Red West routes.

The 123 used to flip flop between Pete's Travel & Central Connect on tender.

Eventually it became the NXWM 53 which turned out to be unmitigated disaster.

Between Merry Hill & Thimblemill it then became a rejuvenated 129 fitted along with the 127 & 128.

Cut back again it became the 13B in MXWM next round of changes

To today where the route doesn't survive in any recognizable form at all save for a TfWM tender around Old Hill.

The history of the 123 post Midland Red West is most interesting post lockdown.

ellspurs

Quote from: CBBUser on June 15, 2020, 10:31:20 PM
I can't recall the route number, but the origin of the route was in a minibus route from Fox & Goose to Poolway. The child fare from Bromford Road to Fox and Goose was 8p - if that helps to age it. It ran a very convoluted route, originally via brockhurst road, Bromford road, collingbourne avenue, chipperfield road, Firs Estate, Heathway, middle Leaford and through to the Pool Way.

It wa extended at both ends through to Asda Small Heath, and the Wheatsheaf. I suppose parts of the route are now the 25, 53 & 58

The original minibus route was numbered 661 or 662. These two routes got combined into the 98.

Quote from: the trainbasher on June 15, 2020, 09:52:18 PM
The 98 was I believe numbered 24, prior to that it was part of the 28, but was changed to now be the 28a.

The one @ellspurs mentioned was the 99, changed to be the 689 IIRC

The 99 used to run Smith's Wood to Birmingham City Centre via Lea Hall, Yew Tree and Heartlands Hospital.

The Smith's Wood part of this route (around Lanchester Way) is what the 53 serves now. The Lea Hall - Yardley part of the route is served by the 58, and the Yew Tree - Heartlands Hospital part is part of the 73 route now I believe. The 24 covers the parts that the route did around the 28 terminus in Small Heath.

The 689 was a merger of the Kingshurst/Castle Bromwich circular 693 and 89, evidenced by the picture on this ebay listing for the timetable.

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 15, 2020, 08:41:49 PM
The 663 was renumbered to the 53 around 2013, I don't remember a 91.
Thanks for the information guys.

Yea the 91 was a renumbering of the minibus 676 route that ran Chelmsley Wood to Birmingham International Station. This is now the Chelmsley Wood - Marston Green circular 91A/91C.

Busboy105

Quote from: ellspurs on June 16, 2020, 01:37:47 PM
The original minibus route was numbered 661 or 662. These two routes got combined into the 98.

The 99 used to run Smith's Wood to Birmingham City Centre via Lea Hall, Yew Tree and Heartlands Hospital.

The Smith's Wood part of this route (around Lanchester Way) is what the 53 serves now. The Lea Hall - Yardley part of the route is served by the 58, and the Yew Tree - Heartlands Hospital part is part of the 73 route now I believe. The 24 covers the parts that the route did around the 28 terminus in Small Heath.

Why was that 99 withdrawn?

ellspurs

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 16, 2020, 01:50:35 PM
Why was that 99 withdrawn?

Barely anyone caught it. From Smith's Wood it took the best part of an hour to get to the City Centre, and when I caught it I was usually the only person on it until it got to Meadway. Most of the route after that was already covered by other routes, and the parts that weren't got split up into parts of what I described above.

The only popular points along it aligned with the schools. I believe the 889 (Tudor Grange Academy Kingshurst - Yew Tree) is still running along the route that the 99 took.

I used to get on, get the top front left position, and enjoy the meandering around.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: ellspurs on June 16, 2020, 02:00:23 PM
Barely anyone caught it. From Smith's Wood it took the best part of an hour to get to the City Centre, and when I caught it I was usually the only person on it until it got to Meadway. Most of the route after that was already covered by other routes, and the parts that weren't got split up into parts of what I described above.

The only popular points along it aligned with the schools. I believe the 889 (Tudor Grange Academy Kingshurst - Yew Tree) is still running along the route that the 99 took.

I used to get on, get the top front left position, and enjoy the meandering around.
The 99 route from Smith's Wood to Birningham started in 1989, at the time it was god send because the 16/17 (Hamstead to Lea Hall/Radleys) were still cross-city and there reliability was getting worse so the 99 gave us a bit of relief. But over the years it became less and less used just like the 590 (Birmingham - Coleshill circular) which was carrying fresh air on the Yardley/Garretts Green/Chelmsley side. Travelling patterns change and will continue to do so

the trainbasher

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 16, 2020, 10:17:50 AM
I always keep an eye on former Midland Red West routes.

The 123 used to flip flop between Pete's Travel & Central Connect on tender.

Eventually it became the NXWM 53 which turned out to be unmitigated disaster.

Between Merry Hill & Thimblemill it then became a rejuvenated 129 fitted along with the 127 & 128.

Cut back again it became the 13B in MXWM next round of changes

To today where the route doesn't survive in any recognizable form at all save for a TfWM tender around Old Hill.

The history of the 123 post Midland Red West is most interesting post lockdown.

Ah yes, the 123. If I remember correctly, at one stage it got merged into the 236 Gornal service (back when PN ran one AM Peak 139 to Halesowen IIRC)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

the trainbasher

As an aside, does anyone remember when the 243 had a diversion round Cradley Heath back when it started at MH so couldn't serve Timbertree

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk