News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Election Day Mayoral Pledges.

Started by wembley86, May 02, 2024, 11:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: BBS on May 08, 2024, 08:48:03 PMThing is people are moaning about the 79 not being reliable when the Wolverhampton 1 is far more unreliable
Do you have figures to show that?

Steve3229vp

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: BBS on May 08, 2024, 08:48:03 PMThing is people are moaning about the 79 not being reliable when the Wolverhampton 1 is far more unreliable
Caught both last year as my daily commute. The 1 was only unreliable during you guessed it Roadworks in Tettenhall and at another time you guessed it the School Peak which On the Wolverhampton end especially in Tettenhall made absolute carnage. As whoever decided a Grammar School, College, Two Primary Schools, Girls High School, The King's plus Compton Park Schools in a close proximity was absolutely mental. The 1 to make up Time usually ran as a 1E to Dudding Road, Sedgley Market Hall or Wolverhampton it would then wait for the Number 1 to Dudley behind and try and make up time. The 10 had the same issues. They were also absolutely rammed. This is what I'm saying you don't know the issues I do have experienced it and taking a trip to Tettenhall once I saw the roadworks it had one side of Tettenhall Road by the Mermaid Pub closed off. In the middle of the day The 1 was usually on time
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
NXWM 529, 25, 41, 11, 11A, 40, 47
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,
Frequently Travelled On Routes
79, 34/37, 39 and Very Occasionally the 529 and 74

the trainbasher

QuoteThis has been mooted for some time though, I wouldn't be surprised if TfWM already have plans at a very advanced stage, hence the recent purchase of NX's Walsall garage by the WMCA.
https://governance.wmca.org.uk/documents/g1178/Public%20reports%20pack%2018th-Mar-2024%2013.00%20Transport%20Delivery%20Overview%20Scrutiny%20Committee.pdf?T=10

This was discussed at the Transport Delivery Overview and Scruitny Committee in March

QuoteThe group then received an update on the grant scheme and reserve funding now available to provide circa £80m to support the bus network between June 2023 and December 2024. Once this funding ends there is the potential for significant changes to the network. To prepare for this, TfWM are in discussions with the DfT around the risks post-January 2025. TfWM are currently asking operators to provide information on a viable network and what is needed to maintain these services. TfWM expect to have a full understanding of the commercial position by mid-March, during April to June will look at initial planning followed by stakeholder engagement in early Summer, with full public consultation during August and September prior to services needing to be registered in the Autumn. Members also reminded to note that on 19 July the WMCA Board will decide as to whether we move to the next stage of bus franchising.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

the trainbasher

Quotehttps://governance.wmca.org.uk/documents/g1178/Public%20reports%20pack%2018th-Mar-2024%2013.00%20Transport%20Delivery%20Overview%20Scrutiny%20Committee.pdf?T=10

This was discussed at the Transport Delivery Overview and Scruitny Committee in March
From the same link...
Transport Delivery Overview & Scrutiny Committee Work Programme 

• Pre-Decision: Future Bus Delivery Options To review the franchising assessment and to make any further recommendations to the WMCA Board to help inform a decision as to whether the Authority should progress further to audit and consultation. July 2024

• Pre-Decision: West Midlands Ring & Ride and Demand Response Transport Service To report on the proposed outcome of the introduction of the revised target operating model of the West Midlands Ring & Ride and Demand Responsive Transport Service prior to WMCA Board. July 2024

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

winston

Quote from: Stu on May 08, 2024, 07:36:14 PMI thought I saw in another article - possibly on the Birmingham Mail - that he had said within 3 years.

This has been mooted for some time though, I wouldn't be surprised if TfWM already have plans at a very advanced stage, hence the recent purchase of NX's Walsall garage by the WMCA.

I still also believe that this would be going ahead even if Andy Street was voted back in.
This article says within 2 years:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4n19w30351o

I'd much prefer the London model of tendering by route, existing operators will be at less risk of losing large chunks of their business overnight I.e. Rotala losing Bolton, First losing Oldham & Stagecoach losing most of South Manchester...

PhageyMcPhage

Quote from: winston on May 08, 2024, 11:54:29 PMThis article says within 2 years:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4n19w30351o

I'd much prefer the London model of tendering by route, existing operators will be at less risk of losing large chunks of Lotheir business overnight I.e. Rotala losing Bolton, First losing Oldham & Stagecoach losing most of South Manchester...

London wasn't deregulated to start with.

If your suggestion was followed, how would new operators be able to compete for work?

MW

Quote from: PhageyMcPhage on May 09, 2024, 07:29:25 AMLondon wasn't deregulated to start with.

If your suggestion was followed, how would new operators be able to compete for work?

Surely the London model would make it easier for new operators to gain work. As far as I understand, London is done on a route by route basis rather than whole chunks of areas meaning the PVR per contract is a lot lower than how Manchester has done it.

winston

Quote from: PhageyMcPhage on May 09, 2024, 07:29:25 AMLondon wasn't deregulated to start with.

Bid for work then setup a depot on securing the work. There isn't the shortage of suitable depot sites in the WM that there are in London. 

winston

I've since learnt the following from a reliable source:

Richard Parker can easily bring in franchising within two years, by using the model already drawn up & fully costed by Andy Street.

Andy Street was also planning to introduce franchising to the WM, the plan should he have won the Mayoral election was for this to be formally announced after the Transport Delivery Committee approval meeting in July.

That franchising plan was based on a mixture of the London & Manchester models, to be based on core route corridor packages:

Hagley Rd
Bristol Rd
The 4s
etc.

I understand that Richard Parker is intending to use the format & work already undertaken.

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: winston on May 09, 2024, 11:24:35 AMI've since learnt the following from a reliable source:

Richard Parker can easily bring in franchising within two years, by using the model already drawn up & fully costed by Andy Street.

Andy Street was also planning to introduce franchising to the WM, the plan should he have won the Mayoral election was for this to be formally announced after the Transport Delivery Committee approval meeting in July.

That franchising plan was based on a mixture of the London & Manchester models, to be based on core route corridor packages:

Hagley Rd
Bristol Rd
The 4s
etc.

I understand that Richard Parker is intending to use the format & work already undertaken.
He had already trialed it to with the 31 and 32 in Walsall the 42, 43, 43A in West Bromwich and the 40 in West Bromwich. Only really the 31 and 32 worked and maybe the 40 but if I'm right Diamond didn't want to run in the partnership anymore. So they now operate the 42, NX the 43 the 43A was scrapped. The 40 is still NX and Diamond and the 31 and 32 is NX and Diamond but I believe NX have more journeys on the 32 than Diamond who match or slightly better NX on the 31
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

MW

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on May 09, 2024, 11:52:28 AMHe had already trialed it to with the 31 and 32 in Walsall the 42, 43, 43A in West Bromwich and the 40 in West Bromwich. Only really the 31 and 32 worked and maybe the 40 but if I'm right Diamond didn't want to run in the partnership anymore. So they now operate the 42, NX the 43 the 43A was scrapped. The 40 is still NX and Diamond and the 31 and 32 is NX and Diamond but I believe NX have more journeys on the 32 than Diamond who match or slightly better NX on the 31

That wasn't franchised.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on May 09, 2024, 11:52:28 AMHe had already trialed it to with the 31 and 32 in Walsall the 42, 43, 43A in West Bromwich and the 40 in West Bromwich. Only really the 31 and 32 worked and maybe the 40 but if I'm right Diamond didn't want to run in the partnership anymore. So they now operate the 42, NX the 43 the 43A was scrapped. The 40 is still NX and Diamond and the 31 and 32 is NX and Diamond but I believe NX have more journeys on the 32 than Diamond who match or slightly better NX on the 31
These were agreed partnerships, not franchises

BlackCountryBusSpotter

Quote from: Steve3229vp on May 09, 2024, 01:42:06 PMThese were agreed partnerships, not franchises

I thought the idea was that it would lead to Franchising eventually I was younger at the time so didn't really know what it meant 
Local Routes
NXWM 34, 37, 39, 79
DIA 310
WCT 65
Bit Further Away
DIA 326, 57, 23, 41A,

winston

Quote from: BlackCountryBusSpotter on May 09, 2024, 05:40:38 PMI thought the idea was that it would lead to Franchising eventually I was younger at the time so didn't really know what it meant
No, they were only co-ordinated timetables, liveries & fares provided by two different operators.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk