News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Birth of the First 'f' logo?

Started by Gareth, November 08, 2012, 12:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gareth

Whilst looking out some photos for another thread, I came across this Frontline Coach

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58309111@N03/7170168788/

and this Leyland Leopard.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58309111@N03/7170140686/

They both seem to have the First f logo in the window, but surely this was much later 1999/2000? These photos are around 1995/6

Ive zoomed in on both, but cannot make out the wording under the 'f'.

Could it be that when Bagerline and GRT merged to become First, they remembered this little 'f' from a small fleet in the Midlands?

Would be interesting to get more information if anyone know any?

jc

i think the 'F' had something like 'part of first group' under it and i believe it was applied to all buses that were run under the 'First' name after the merger.

I could be wrong though.

Gareth

Seems First happened a lot earlier than I thought! April 1995, with logos appearing soon afterwards.

That surprised me a little. I remember using First Midland Red regularly in 2000, and we didnt even get any Barbie or Barbie 2 for years! I think it was the last fleet to get any of the new livery. Amazing how the years roll into each other over time!

Roy

As you say, First was created in April 1995 by the merger of Badgerline (about 4000 vehicles) and GRT (about 1600 vehicles).  The initial change was the removal of the badger from the rear of both sides of the Badgerline vehicles and its replacement by the f-logo.  Initally, the original company name followed the f-logo, but this was later dropped.

The Barbie livery was introduced in 1998 (I think) but was only applied to brand-new buses puchased by First.  A year or so later, the awful "Barbie 2" livery was introduced for older vehicles.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk