News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Coach damage

Started by Liberator9, June 26, 2012, 07:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liberator9

At my school today a school trip to Manchester United started in disaster. We have these narrow school gates which are really inadequate leading out onto the Warwick Road. The Johnsons coach apparently hit the gates and damaged something and had to be taken out of service due to the damage! Fortunately another coach was provided. Has anyone else ever had a incident involving a coach or bus suffering damage and seen it. I remember being on a NXWM Gemini a few months ago on the 966 and the mirror was smashed off after hitting a lamp post! ::)

Stu

I can recall one evening coming home from Solihull on the 37, back when it was operated by Eclipse Urbans, the bus I was on had just left Solihull and was on the Warwick Road approaching the Ashleigh Road stop, when it hit a low tree branch, and it snapped off the nearside wing mirror! The bus pulled up just after the stop, and we all had to get off, as the mirror was gone.

The funny thing was that as the driver directed us to transfer onto the Urban that followed a couple of minutes later, that bus also had hit the same branch, and its mirror was hanging limply off! Cue a call from the driver over the radio to the garage about the low branch, warning other drivers to take care, and to advise that two vehicles had to go back to garage for repairs!

Luckily, we watched the next Urban avoid this branch, and we were all ushered on to continue our journeys! Kudos to Solihull Council, the offending branch was soon removed, but what bad luck for two buses to get damaged at once!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Quote from: Liberator9 on June 26, 2012, 07:50:48 PM
At my school today a school trip to Manchester United started in disaster. We have these narrow school gates which are really inadequate leading out onto the Warwick Road. The Johnsons coach apparently hit the gates and damaged something and had to be taken out of service due to the damage! Fortunately another coach was provided. Has anyone else ever had a incident involving a coach or bus suffering damage and seen it. I remember being on a NXWM Gemini a few months ago on the 966 and the mirror was smashed off after hitting a lamp post! ::)

Solihull School?

Badger

I seem to remember a Hills Coaches coach crashing going around the entrance into Aldersley High School as a kid, but I can't remember/find anything more about it.

The only bus crash I've been in was an Arriva 76 hitting a car on Stafford Street (it was the car's fault, for some reason crossed into the bus lane randomly while the bus was up her rear). Did more damage to the car than to the bus.. saw it driving around with the bumper popped back on not long after.

My dad reckons he saw a bus shunt a mini onto a busy motorway island in Coventry.

Other than that I'm 6'1 and get hit on the head by mirrors sometimes... the driver had to get out and readjust it once.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

makkacdt

ive been on 2 i think. one was a metro bus either 128 or 129 going thru lion farm around the bend and a car hit it leading to the back wheel on the bus exploding, and on a 139 when some idiots bricked the bus shamshing widown in the process.

Also been on a bad end when a theif stole the money foult out a 128 a few years back, felt sorry for the driver as they blamed him for going to the toilet i mean if u need to go u need to go
Wouldnt mind a 10 min bus service....

D10

Many years ago when I used to go to school with Midland Red (South) at Banbury, there was a lady driver who used to turn up with miniskirts and very unsuitable high heels! Not sure if that caused her to crash into a tractor one day while taking us home from school.

Us kids were all right, but we didn't see this particular driver again....!

Lukeee

Seen a Scania Double on the 907 hit someone on the head with the wing mirror before and the bus was taken out of service.

John

Quote from: Lukeee on June 26, 2012, 10:25:08 PM
Seen a Scania Double on the 907 hit someone on the head with the wing mirror before and the bus was taken out of service.

I was on that bus, it was by the Tesco at New Oscott.

SMK

I remember being on the 334 as we got clipped by a car who suddenly pulled out of a side road off the Wellington Road (this was during that period of the 90s when it ran to Wolverhampton via Stowlawn).
I remember the car driver effing and blinding saying it was the bus driver's fault even though he was in the wrong.
My mom ended up giving a written statement to say the bus driver wasn't at fault.  :)
I can't remember if it was B6 or a Wright-bodied B10L I was on.
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

BU07 LGO

33 Gemini i was on smashed into a lorry turning into what was then the container base in Perry Barr and smashed mirror and carried on driving then a few months later i saw the same driver smash into some railings by one stop! He was alsways a mad driver and used to stamp on brakes and drive past people's stops! He had a turban and used to see him all the time around 2003/2004 and remember him dragging a kid down the stairs by his ankle for not paying! He often had inspectors and other TWM staff on the bus so maybe was being monitored? Haven't seen him for years now!

Also a B10L 33 back in the day took the railings out by one stop and woman driver opened cab and asked if everybody was ok!

Liberator9

Had a near miss yesterday on the 37! Car comes cutting us up on the right in Olton and if the driver hadn't have looked right and slammed on the brakes it would've been one large episode of argument. Fortunately no injury from the braking.

nx4737

Was on one of our B9TL Geminis on the 110 about 3 years ago which had a bit of an accident, it pulled up behind a cue of other buses at the lights to access the Parade in Sutton, a woman in a car came straight out of one of the side roads behind TGI Friday driving straight into the side of the bus, she claimed she hadn't seen the bus... Yup, you read that right, she hadn't seen a big green decker that had been sitting in front of her for about 2 minutes... anyway, the bus was taken out of service with some damage and ran back empty to Tamworth, while we were all put on the 110 behind, which just happened to be an already quite full B6...

nx4737

Also, not so serious, I was on a Scania on the 29a during the snow last year that clipped a Flights coach near the underpass that heads under Paradise Forum/The library... Both the drivers had quite an exchange of words...

Lukeee

Not quite a hit but a near miss, between two NXWM buses (route 7 and 16, both PB) resulted in a rather loud verbal discussion between 2 drivers. This was going back a couple years now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk