News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: Stu on May 16, 2024, 07:02:17 PMBirmingham City Council missed a trick years ago by not investing in park-and-ride sites dotted around the middle ring road, ahead of demolishing city centre car parks. We now have the ridiculous situation where the two remaining multi-storey car parks at the Bullring and Moor Street are regularly full on Saturdays, and because they are located on a main entry and exit point for buses to/from Moor Street Queensway, the resulting congestion from drivers queuing to get into these car parks causes the buses to also get stuck and delayed.

That dates from decades earlier and the old West Midlands County Council which was the transport authority as a starter for ten. They took the decision to use rail based Park and Ride sites, but make them free. The issue is that the sites along the likes of the Cross City at stations such as Four Oaks and Selly Oak are being filled up by people driving to a station from outside the West Midlands County to dump their car there and take advantage of the higher frequency rail service in the West Midlands County (thats why trains reverse at Stourbridge Junction and Shirley)...rather than the less frequent rail services to places in the wider region, where you pay more in fares and to park.

The West Midlands County Council were also responsible for the Middle Ring Road and the 40mph limit, it was started by Birmingham City Council but a sizeable chunk was built by WMCC in the 70's with the last portion finally being finished after the County Council was abolished and the buses deregulated and privatised. That was the opportunity to build multi story car parks and establish a bus based Park and Ride system for the city centre, but the land along the Ring Road went for other uses so was an "opportunity cost" when Birmingham City Council and the developers started the plans to replace the 1960's Bull Ring Centre and car parks and break the concrete collar  Inner Ring Road in the mid 1980's.

We are now living with the consequences of decisions made in the 1970's snd 1980's. People living in the 2060's will live with the transport and planning decisions made today by the Government, the Mayors and councils.
QuoteIt is also revealing that TfWM have done so little to prepare a plan. It is almost as if they'd not expected Parker to win the Mayoral vote. "A dereliction of duty" from them I think and that is being kind at best.
A plan is set to be put to the WMCA board

https://governance.wmca.org.uk/documents/g1178/Public%20reports%20pack%2018th-Mar-2024%2013.00%20Transport%20Delivery%20Overview%20Scrutiny%20Committee.pdf?T=10    ---   page 57 for reference, Agenda item 10.
He is only a couple of weeks into the job but I think Richard Parker is being rather disingenuous, given his appearance on the BBC One Midlands "Politics Show" this morning and this article on the BBC News website.

New mayor outlines bus reform plans

I do not see how you can have a franchising system, without the operators involved making a surplus in return.  The London regulated franchise system of course is operated by private companies who are in course in business to make a return on their capital employed.

The only way all of any "surplus" for West Midlands services can be reinvested entirely in the West Midlands and for the customer is for everything to be owned by WMCA, including buses, drivers, garages and operational staff...but that is not franchising as in London or the model being put in place in Manchester. (TfL own some assets like the Borismaster buses and lease them, but not all Londons vehicles and garages)

Parker needs to show his working and explain the incentive for companies like Metroline, Transdev, Transport UK Group, Wellglade and others to come into the West Midlands and break the effective Mobico (formerly NX Group) monopoly on local bus services in the conurbation.  Plus demonstrate what would be in it for Mobico for their Leadership Team to continue in operating buses in the West Midlands....rather than walking away to put their money elsewhere leaving Parker having to take everything over to keep the wheels turning. I suspect that would cost rather more than £75 million and the current Government will not help him if the decision was taken before the upcoming General Election.

It is also revealing that TfWM have done so little to prepare a plan. It is almost as if they'd not expected Parker to win the Mayoral vote. "A dereliction of duty" from them I think and that is being kind at best.
National Express West Midlands / Re: Route Branded Buses off Ro...
Last post by darthdc - May 19, 2024, 02:37:23 PM
6120  - Route 1
Quote from: Wba_lad on May 18, 2024, 10:53:51 PMI've been using mobile ticketing since September now as college issued it onto my phone instead of putting it on my swift card again. However I've noticed with the sunny weather the sun reflects of the phone meaning sometimes the ticket won't scan, now some drivers are understanding with this issue and ask to see the ticket and then let you on but some keep making you try and try scanning it and are funny about it, it's a shame the QR code scanner could not be moved to avoid this issue with not scanning,
When I used to have this I never used to have scan it or wasn't told to, most drivers looked at it there was always 1 or 2 who asked to look at it giving the scrutiny. 
Quote from: Stu on May 19, 2024, 12:47:07 PMSee most recent reply in the 'Vehicle Transfers' topic!

https://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=10.msg328450;topicseen#msg328450

Yes but it's back at WB on the 80 the post refers it going back to Walsall
National Express West Midlands / Re: Buses on loan
Last post by Stu - May 19, 2024, 12:47:07 PM
Quote from: Bartosz on May 19, 2024, 12:37:40 PM1887 on the 80.

Transfer or loan?
See most recent reply in the 'Vehicle Transfers' topic!

https://wmbusphotos.com/forum/index.php?topic=10.msg328450;topicseen#msg328450
National Express West Midlands / Re: Buses on loan
Last post by Bartosz - May 19, 2024, 12:37:40 PM
1887 on the 80.

Transfer or loan?
National Express West Midlands / Re: Diversions
Last post by Jay71 - May 19, 2024, 11:44:42 AM
Route 50. Bradford St partially closed.  Buses going up Digbeth High St & then going on to the top part of Bradford St
Rotala / Re: Diamond East Midlands (for...
Last post by joieman - May 19, 2024, 11:41:26 AM
Quote from: twbc99 on May 19, 2024, 11:07:09 AMIt does seem to be going quite slowly. 40521 is supposedly being repainted but was last tracked 2 months ago. Would of thought it would be back now.
And many of the buses that are in the Diamond livery were simply transferred in from elsewhere.
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk