News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Social Travel

Started by PM, January 07, 2015, 02:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justlookingaround

Are the ex-Cardiff Darts DDA compliant though? There's no wheelchair ramp.

Solo1

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on November 27, 2015, 05:05:07 PM
When did the latter 3 vehicles enter the fleet?
photo of X512   on my flicr site

KV03ZFR is one of the 03 reg MPD
It was on the 11 yeaterday
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Steveminor

Yes it is from the same batch & sunny travel have also bought 2 mpds from abelio.

barry619

Quote from: countryliner on November 28, 2015, 10:38:41 PM...if they dont have ramps then they are definetly not DDA compliant...

I know this has been put around several sites, but to quell the rumour about ramps, it is not laid down in the PSV Accessibility Regulations that a ramp must be fitted to a bus for it to be compliant. A 'boarding device' is the term used, and that can be a wheelchair lift if appropriate. By that token, it would technically be possible to have a compliant high-floor Vario, as long as all the other regulations were satisfied, although the likelihood of an operator spending the money required to create such a bus is minimal.

Equally, it is not necessary to have a fold-out/extendable ramp within the step. A separate ramp stored elsewhere on the bus and placed into position by the driver when required is acceptable.

Tony

Quote from: barry619 on November 30, 2015, 08:16:45 AM
I know this has been put around several sites, but to quell the rumour about ramps, it is not laid down in the PSV Accessibility Regulations that a ramp must be fitted to a bus for it to be compliant. A 'boarding device' is the term used, and that can be a wheelchair lift if appropriate. By that token, it would technically be possible to have a compliant high-floor Vario, as long as all the other regulations were satisfied, although the likelihood of an operator spending the money required to create such a bus is minimal.

Several late Varios are DDA compliant. I believe the A&M (Flexibus) ones are
http://wmbusphotos.com/A&M/YN56NHM.html

These have rear ambulance doors with a wheelchair lift fitted

barry619

Quote from: Tony on November 30, 2015, 09:05:41 AM
Several late Varios are DDA compliant. I believe the A&M (Flexibus) ones are
http://wmbusphotos.com/A&M/YN56NHM.html

These have rear ambulance doors with a wheelchair lift fitted
Quite, that's what I was referring to, and I imagine that as a 56-plater it was built in PSVAR-compliant format. It would be possible to convert a non-compliant Vario on the same basis, although cost prohibitive I'd assume.

Steveminor

If you wanted to you could use a step entrance coach without any kind of lift on bus service as coaches dint have to be dda till 2020.
But then how do you legally define a coach .

I do have dvsa official response on definition of a coach but interested in what other people think.

Tony

Quote from: Steveminor on December 01, 2015, 09:14:47 PM
If you wanted to you could use a step entrance coach without any kind of lift on bus service as coaches dint have to be dda till 2020.
But then how do you legally define a coach .

I do have dvsa official response on definition of a coach but interested in what other people think.

A coach is a PCV that is not authorised to carry standing passengers

Steveminor

@Tony there is a bit more to it than that but in essence if those criteria are met then a metrobus could be used in service until 2020.

winston

PD1125565/5 - SOCIAL TRAVEL PRIVATE LIMITED, UNIT 1 BRITTANIA WORKS, ENGINE STREET, SMETHWICK, B66 2DR
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Cannock Bus Station
Finish Point: Stafford Hospital
Via: Brocton, Walton on the Hill
Service Number: 74A
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 11-JAN-2016
Other Details: Monday to Friday

LG

Quote from: Winston on December 02, 2015, 02:37:29 PM
PD1125565/5 - SOCIAL TRAVEL PRIVATE LIMITED, UNIT 1 BRITTANIA WORKS, ENGINE STREET, SMETHWICK, B66 2DR
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Cannock Bus Station
Finish Point: Stafford Hospital
Via: Brocton, Walton on the Hill
Service Number: 74A
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 11-JAN-2016
Other Details: Monday to Friday

I just wondered why Walton on the hill.  Arriva gave this up due to lack of passengers

Steveminor

There's ways & means to make it commercially viable plus you have to remember that arrivas break even point would be higher than any smaller operator.
If it doesn't work, well at least we can put our hand on heart & say we tried.

winston

Quote from: Steveminor on December 07, 2015, 08:34:01 PM
There's ways & means to make it commercially viable plus you have to remember that arrivas break even point would be higher than any smaller operator.
If it doesn't work, well at least we can put our hand on heart & say we tried.

Isn't it a bit dangerous putting all Social's 'eggs in one basket' with all revenues soon to come from variations of the 74?

Bryan

Quote from: Winston on December 07, 2015, 08:46:54 PM
Isn't it a bit dangerous putting all Social's 'eggs in one basket' with all revenues soon to come from variations of the 74?

I would agree. My guess is in a few months time it will be a complete change of routes for Social yet again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk