News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Social Travel

Started by PM, January 07, 2015, 02:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo1

Tony

Quote from: Solo1 on July 27, 2015, 09:51:24 AM
http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp#fromNode=0%7CBridge%20St%20N%7C%7C-1.961819%7C52.498919%7CtoNode=0%7CCannock,%20Staffordshire,%20UK%7C%7C-2.021829%7C52.699941

hmmm, timed at 70mph up the M6, even if the Motorway is clear and free flowing a bus will not do 60mph up the motorway. The chance of the M6 being clear at the moment is also viurtually nil at the moment and if it is has a 50mph speed restriction on it. Try closer to 45 minutes

fleetline6477

Presumably they will be running dead at peak times around 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. I'd say closer to 1 hour. Most days there are long delays on the M5 / M6 area of the motorway.

fleetline6477

Quote from: Steveminor on July 26, 2015, 10:17:58 PM
We've spent a long time doing our sums. We need 5% share of the passengers to break even.
That's not a high figure to aim for & should be achievable.
I'm sure people thought the same when central buses went on the x55 & the 66 but they're holding their own.

There are a number of differences between Social Travel and Central Buses attempts to launch new routes into new territories

1. CB on X55 provided an alternative to Arriva routes providing a quicker link between two points. ST are simply running along the
    same route and offering nothing new from what I understand.
2. CB look extremely professional launched new buses in fleet livery with names, route branding, on-board Wifi, timetables, social
    media presence and a website. Drivers dressed in uniforms. ST use much older vehicles, no clear established identity, no website,
    drivers generally look scruffy. Are you issuing printed timetables, website, social media presence?

It is somewhat unfair to compare CB and ST at the point where they launched routes into the Staffordshire area as they are very different companies in many ways - size, years of operation... CB have, I believe, many more factors in their favour to establish new routes in new territories.

With the news under GRS Travel that have ceased to operate on the Outer Circle surely you'd be better to build on this route and begin to provide buses on the 11A. As you're not doing this is it right to assume that passenger numbers / revenue on the 11 doesn't warrant extra investment of vehicles?

@Steveminor as it has Been mentioned tomorrow will be the last day of GRS on the outer circle do you have any plans to expand the company and have a go at the 11A ,this will obviously increase the number of passengers on the 8:30 journey from the fox and goose as I use this service and social travel quite often I know this one gets stuck behind a grs.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: 2206 on July 30, 2015, 10:01:04 PM
@Steveminor as it has Been mentioned tomorrow will be the last day of GRS on the outer circle do you have any plans to expand the company and have a go at the 11A ,this will obviously increase the number of passengers on the 8:30 journey from the fox and goose as I use this service and social travel quite often I know this one gets stuck behind a grs.

Don't suppose it was 4659 you got, if you used the 11A? I think I was at F&G at around 750am ish however.

Quote from: MW on July 30, 2015, 11:22:06 PM
Don't suppose it was 4659 you got, if you used the 11A? I think I was at F&G at around 750am ish however.
@MW No I used the 11C.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Steveminor

All disc's are accounted for at the moment but we'll see what opportunities present themselves when we get more

covlad27

@Steveminor Are you planning any concessions for Arriva ticket holders on the 74 route??

Steveminor

The fares aren't finalised yet. I've just got back off holiday so I'm working on them now but probably

covlad27

Have you taken into account the current road works in Stafford.  This will have a massive impact on running times to both your new service and Arriva

Steveminor

Looking at it there should be adequate drop back, but you can never plan for the unexpected.  Who knows how long the delay could be day to day. If you give too much time then you run the risk of buses running early & as I was always taught no one ever missed a bus because it was running a bit late

domino.99

Quote from: Steveminor on August 01, 2015, 11:32:57 PM
Looking at it there should be adequate drop back, but you can never plan for the unexpected.  Who knows how long the delay could be day to day. If you give too much time then you run the risk of buses running early & as I was always taught no one ever missed a bus because it was running a bit late

Dose that mean your running two buses on the route?

Quote from: Dom on August 02, 2015, 06:57:37 PM
Dose that mean your running two buses on the route?
They will be using two buses.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Trident 4194

Quote from: Steveminor on August 01, 2015, 11:32:57 PM

7 minutes dropback in beaconside, not much time. May see a few late buses

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk