News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Local Daysaver

Started by metrocity, May 23, 2022, 04:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metrocity

When did the £3 'outer Birmingham' daysaver finish ?

Stu

Quote from: metrocity on May 23, 2022, 04:58:40 PMWhen did the £3 'outer Birmingham' daysaver finish ?
I wasn't aware that it has been discontinued, though now I look it is no longer shown on the NXBus website.

Only last week, some bloke was having an argument with a driver on the 2 as he had boarded at Wake Green Road and tried to get a £3 daysaver. The driver was having none of it though, despite this bloke claiming "I bought one from here yesterday".

I've not seen any official announcement or publicity about this.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on May 23, 2022, 06:45:49 PMI wasn't aware that it has been discontinued, though now I look it is no longer shown on the NXBus website.

Only last week, some bloke was having an argument with a driver on the 2 as he had boarded at Wake Green Road and tried to get a £3 daysaver. The driver was having none of it though, despite this bloke claiming "I bought one from here yesterday".

I've seen someone try and purchase one in the City Centre once on the 95. Driver explained to them that it didn't start to Fox and Goose stop.

I think it must be in the last week or 2, though I did notice if you look at other offers on the NX website they say they can withdraw these things "without notice" in the terms and conditions.
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/offers/kids-travel-for-1-at-weekends-and-off-peak
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Gareth

Quote from: Stu on May 23, 2022, 06:45:49 PMI wasn't aware that it has been discontinued, though now I look it is no longer shown on the NXBus website.

A shame the driver didn't have the skills or decency to maybe explain that that particular ticket was no longer available. Or that it had finished that day for example. Or if it had been discontinued a while back, that it could have been sold in error the day before.

MW

Quote from: Gareth on May 23, 2022, 07:03:17 PMA shame the driver didn't have the skills or decency to maybe explain that that particular ticket was no longer available. Or that it had finished that day for example. Or if it had been discontinued a while back, that it could have been sold in error the day before.

It wouldn't have been sold in error. What'll often happen is the company will remove the option on the ticket machines. They'll probably then put an A4 piece of paper up in the depot on a notice board announcing if a ticket is no longer valid/issued. Most drivers probably wouldn't have a clue as is often the case. 

Stu

Quote from: Gareth on May 23, 2022, 07:03:17 PMA shame the driver didn't have the skills or decency to maybe explain that that particular ticket was no longer available. Or that it had finished that day for example. Or if it had been discontinued a while back, that it could have been sold in error the day before.
I couldn't hear all the exchange between that passenger and the driver unfortunately, but the gist I was getting was that the ticket was available but couldn't be bought until the bus (the 2) crossed the Outer Circle route (at the Swanshurst Lane/Coldbath Road stop). As this passenger had boarded at Wake Green Road, they should have paid for a £4 daysaver.

Some drivers might have just waited until passing that point and then just issued the ticket and be done with it, this driver was rightly standing their ground though, as far as I could work out.

The exchange was still going on when I disembarked at Billesley Common. :laugh: So I have no idea how this was concluded.

Quote from: 2206 on May 23, 2022, 06:50:04 PMI think it must be in the last week or 2, though I did notice if you look at other offers on the NX website they say they can withdraw these things "without notice" in the terms and conditions.
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/offers/kids-travel-for-1-at-weekends-and-off-peak
That is true, but for something like a local area Daysaver, which presumably many people use and may rely on, it would have been more appropriate to give passengers some notice and to publicise its withdrawal.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Yes I think if a ticket is no longer available anymore for good communication it would make sense for them to at least put up a passenger notice on the buses  and on the website stating the ticket has now been withdrawn.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MasterPlan

Does anybody know why the local daysaver has been discontinued? Was it not popular enough?
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Westy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the outer boundary was the 11 route & the inner boundary was the 8 route?

Was there much traffic within those points,  or did most people want to go in & out of city anyway?

To be honest,  I would have 'fixed' the issue with the Sandwell boundary, where you can't go east of the M5, despite still being in Sandwell,  until you get past Smethwick or Bearwood, that people used to complain about!

Steveminor

It was anywhere OUTSIDE the outer circle

Quote from: Westy on May 23, 2022, 11:15:35 PMCorrect me if I'm wrong, but the outer boundary was the 11 route & the inner boundary was the 8 route?

Was there much traffic within those points,  or did most people want to go in & out of city anyway?

To be honest,  I would have 'fixed' the issue with the Sandwell boundary, where you can't go east of the M5, despite still being in Sandwell,  until you get past Smethwick or Bearwood, that people used to complain about!
Outside the Outer Circle.
Certainly on the X12, 94/95 and other routes not everyone wants goes to the City Centre. For those who just wanted to use the 11 for instance it was just £3 and covered the full route. Ticket only valid after 9.30.
Not valid past Sheldon into Solihull/Airport or to Coleshill going by the map.

Reason for the end of the offer could be increased operating costs, I guess.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

andy41

Quote from: 2206 on May 23, 2022, 07:47:07 PMYes I think if a ticket is no longer available anymore for good communication it would make sense for them to at least put up a passenger notice on the buses  and on the website stating the ticket has now been withdrawn.
You would think wouldn't you? At the same time the Evening Saver 'disappeared' again with absolutely no notice.

I tweeted them asking about it and got a very curt 'the ticket is discontinued' 

When I queried the lack of publicity I was informed it 'would appear on the website later today'

NX don't give a monkeys about customers at the moment, one can only assume the Stagecoach fiasco has left them absolutely on their backsides judging by some of the knee jerk decisions being thrown about by those running the operation. 

The rate of decline is alarming. 

Kevin

I did wonder about these tickets, tried to get an evening saver on the app on Friday but it had disappeared. Nothing on the website about these being discontinued.
To be honest, £4 still ain't bad for a multi trip ticket.
Maybe something more could be made of the single journey thing though. A single on the app is valid for half an hour, which I have previously made use of by having to make a single journey that involved 2 buses. If that was made into an hour similar to the TfL bus fares it would benefit people more, as a lot of people do just make such single "journeys" out of multiple buses
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Westy

Quote from: Kevin on May 25, 2022, 11:21:15 AMI did wonder about these tickets, tried to get an evening saver on the app on Friday but it had disappeared. Nothing on the website about these being discontinued.
Maybe something more could be made of the single journey thing though. A single on the app is valid for half an hour, which I have previously made use of by having to make a single journey that involved 2 buses. If that was made into an hour similar to the TfL bus fares it would benefit people more, as a lot of people do just make such single "journeys" out of multiple buses
Wasn't the old Pte 'Thrufare' similar?

Tony

QuoteI did wonder about these tickets, tried to get an evening saver on the app on Friday but it had disappeared. Nothing on the website about these being discontinued.
Very few people make a journey by bus, but do not go back later. The thrufare that was 50p and valid for an hour when it was launched in the west midlands was before day tickets were available

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk