News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

History of service 97

Started by Busmapper, March 29, 2014, 10:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busmapper

I've created a Wikipedia page on service 97, mainly to document the background and history of the route. Feel free to add to or correct.

Mayby I have been naive about the use of Wikipedia, although I probably didn't help by not initially uploading the History section, but the Wiki mods have put the article up for potential deletion. If you think there is merit in the article do record your support by editing the bold link in the red bar paragraph at the top.

I was inspired to write the 97 page after contributing to similar articles with a Midland Red (Solihull area) element to their history on the Warwick Road and Stratford Road bus corridor pages.

Liverpool Street

Perhaps you should've put it in a paragraph on the NXWM Wiki page? Seems the Wiki staff don't like bus routes on their own page...
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

PM

Quote from: Busmapper on March 29, 2014, 10:02:22 AM
I've created a Wikipedia page on service 97, mainly to document the background and history of the route. Feel free to add to or correct.

Mayby I have been naive about the use of Wikipedia, although I probably didn't help by not initially uploading the History section, but the Wiki mods have put the article up for potential deletion. If you think there is merit in the article do record your support by editing the bold link in the red bar paragraph at the top.

I was inspired to write the 97 page after contributing to similar articles with a Midland Red (Solihull area) element to their history on the Warwick Road and Stratford Road bus corridor pages.

Did Central Connect withdraw from the 97/A in 2011?

Steve3229vp

Route 97 was introduced 21st November, 1976 together with new services 98 and 99, they replaced the following routes:

53  City (Carrs Lane)-Shirestone Road via Fazeley Street, Garrison Lane, Bordesley Green, Bordesley Green East and Meadway.
54  City (Carrs Lane)-Stechford via Deritend, Cattell Road, Bordesley Green and Bordesley Green East
163 City (Bus Station)-Chelmsley Wood (Helmswood Drive) via Chelmsley Road
169 City (Bus Station)-Chelmsley Wood (Berwicks Lane) via Bosworth Drive
193 City (Bus Station)-Chelmsley Wood (Helmswood Drive) via Bosworth Drive and Greenlands Road.
195 City (Bus Station)-Chelmsley Wood (Arran Way) via Cooks Lane and Bacons End.

the new routes were:

97 City (Carrs Lane)-Chelmsley Wood (Helmswood Drive) via 53 to Shirestone Road then via Bosworth Drive and Chelmsley Road
98 City (Bus Station)-Marston Green via 54 route to Stechford, then via Meadway, Whittington Oval, Lea Hall Station, Cooks Lane, Chelmsley Road and Greenlands Road.
99 City (Bus Station)-Chelmsley Wood (Lanchester Way) via 54 route to Stechford, then via Meadway, Whittington Oval, Lea Hall Station, Cooks Lane and Bacons End

Busmapper

Quote from: Steve3229vp on March 29, 2014, 01:02:29 PM
Route 97 was introduced 21st November 1976

Thanks for info. Now corrected.

Steve3229vp

Attached is the leaflet for routes 97, 98 and 99 from 21st November 1976.

Busmapper

The Wiki police have had their say, 'Wikipedia isn't the place to deposit personal research material. Maybe there are bus or transport websites which will be interested?'.
Looks like I misinterpreted the use of Wikipedia for hosting this.

If anyone has any suggestions for an alternative (open) host location for this material let us know.

monkeyjoe

Interesting I would be interested in seeing ones for the :- 94 & 71 routes as I understand have been around for a while but been called many different numbers etc. 94 = 56 / 71 = 169 ?? . Please feel free to correct me.

Tony

Quote from: monkeyjoe on April 02, 2014, 11:15:40 PM
Interesting I would be interested in seeing ones for the :- 94 & 71 routes as I understand have been around for a while but been called many different numbers etc. 94 = 56 / 71 = 169 ?? . Please feel free to correct me.

The 71, ignoring its many little route changes, was the 166 before it was renumbered 71, before that in the 1960s it was the 175.

The 94 was the 194 before the 94. The 56 was a BCT route that terminated at the Clock garage, the 160 City-Kingshurst, and 194 City Chelmsley Wood. At the time of merger of these three routes into the 93 (Kingshurst) & 94 (Chelmsley Wood) The 160 was the more frequent service with a daytime frequency of every 20 min where as the 194 was every 30. The 169 was one of the services merged into the 97

monkeyjoe

Cheers.

Did WH/LH garages run these services or did others get involved like Sutton/Perry Barr?

busfan2847

The 56 ran from WH.

The 166, 175, 160, 194, 169 were all Midland Red Routes transferred to WMPTE in December 1973. They operated from Digbeth and probably Sutton garages. After the transfer Digbeth's routes were transferred to the reopened BCT Moseley Rd garage before being integrated into other BCT garages.

The 166 (Solihull & Sutton Coldfield via Chelmsley Wood) and 175 (Shirley & Sutton Coldfield via Chelmsley Wood) did co-exist. I have a copy of a 1974 map that has both routes listed.

Gareth

Sutton also had the odd running board on the 93/94 in the early days. I have a photo of an ex Midland Red fleetline from Sutton on the 93 and I've seen a couple of photos of Ailsas on the 94.
Lea Hall also had running boards on the 55.

Tony

Quote from: busfan2847 on April 03, 2014, 01:50:11 PM
The 56 ran from WH.

The 166, 175, 160, 194, 169 were all Midland Red Routes transferred to WMPTE in December 1973. They operated from Digbeth and probably Sutton garages. After the transfer Digbeth's routes were transferred to the reopened BCT Moseley Rd garage before being integrated into other BCT garages.

The 166 (Solihull & Sutton Coldfield via Chelmsley Wood) and 175 (Shirley & Sutton Coldfield via Chelmsley Wood) did co-exist. I have a copy of a 1974 map that has both routes listed.

The 175 never went to Sutton Coldfield when the 166 was running.

The 175 was originally Sutton Coldfield to Solihull, this was renumbered 166. Later a new 175 was started which terminated at Auckland Drive, Lanchester Way in Chelmsley Wood North to Solihull/Shirley. There was also a 185 from Aukland Drive.

Sutton Coldfield garage always operated the Sutton Coldfield to Solihull service until it closed whichever of the three numbers it was using. The 175/185 were Moseley Road (They didn't start until PTE days), later Yardley Wood. The 194 (Later part of the 94) was operated by Sutton Coldfield. The 160 was run by Sheepcote Street. The 161/171 (Coleshill-Birmingham Circulars) were run by Sheepcote Street (161) & Digbeth/Moseley Road (171), later Coventry Road, then Washwood Heath. The Birmingham Chelmsley Wood services (163/169/193/195) were also run by a mix of Sheepcote Street, Moseley Road & Sutton Coldfield garages in PTE days

monkeyjoe

iansdavies

i remember the 163 bus which was the first bus service to run around chelmsley followed by 169 193 as chelmsley was being built around the late 60s then in june 1973 wmpte took over still running those route numbers and operating from sheepcote street ,then in november 1976 the 53 became the 97, but certain journeys still terminated at shirestone road ,the 163 became the 98 the 195 became the 99, the 97 was located at coventry road whilst 98 and 99 at lea hall ,im not sure what bus operated along berwicks lane during that changeover period maybe the 166 or 165 .i do miss the bmmo different shapes and sizes .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk