News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Arriva take over Midland

Started by Ck, July 27, 2012, 07:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Badger on August 09, 2012, 10:30:20 PM
How would Network WM passes work if NX went to Telford or Cannock? I know they're valid on the 10/255/256/5/5A which all leave the West Midlands, but not as far out. Would it just be like any other operator (only valid in the WM area)?

Network WM passes are only valid in WM, despite where NXWM are operating.

Bob

Nxwm Daysaver will get you into Cannock tho

MW

Quote from: bob on August 09, 2012, 11:23:44 PM
Nxwm Daysaver will get you into Cannock tho

NWM and NXWM isn't the same...

NXWM is a bus company. There own daysavers are valid on all there buses.

NWM is the local West Midlands PTE. All there passes are valid in the West Midlands.

richie

Quote from: Winston on August 09, 2012, 11:03:27 PM
Quote from: bob on August 09, 2012, 10:33:49 PM
Doubt NX would go Telford or Tamworth TBF but they used to have a substantial presence in Cannock, incl monopoly on Walsall routes plus the main operator on Pye Green road services

Why not? Arriva have a monopoly in both Tamworth & Telford and it obviously quite a profitable area for them. Don't forget WMT setup the Your Bus operation in the Stevensons stronghold of Burton when they were expanding rapidly in the West Midlands. NX are plenty large enough to throw money at setting up an new operation in one of those towns to get back at Arriva, plus have a size able reserve fleet

I doubt NX will move into other areas but will focus more on the one they are in they have the monopoly and will continue to do so and im fairly confident in saying that any operator will not compete with NX to any worthy scale in birmingham thats their focus and where most money is for them.

andy

Quote from: richie on August 10, 2012, 12:08:47 AM
Quote from: Winston on August 09, 2012, 11:03:27 PM
Quote from: bob on August 09, 2012, 10:33:49 PM
Doubt NX would go Telford or Tamworth TBF but they used to have a substantial presence in Cannock, incl monopoly on Walsall routes plus the main operator on Pye Green road services

Why not? Arriva have a monopoly in both Tamworth & Telford and it obviously quite a profitable area for them. Don't forget WMT setup the Your Bus operation in the Stevensons stronghold of Burton when they were expanding rapidly in the West Midlands. NX are plenty large enough to throw money at setting up an new operation in one of those towns to get back at Arriva, plus have a size able reserve fleet

I doubt NX will move into other areas but will focus more on the one they are in they have the monopoly and will continue to do so and im fairly confident in saying that any operator will not compete with NX to any worthy scale in birmingham thats their focus and where most money is for them.

Seconded. NX would respond vigorously on their own turf if Arriva got nasty but to be honest I don't think it would come to that. There is plenty of room in the West Midlands for 2 large operators, it's a miracle that this has never been the case til now. I think Arriva are just looking for a small market share that NX won't really respond to, don't forget there will be a lot more Centro developments over the next couple of years and NX wouldn't be in a position to take everything anyway.

monkeyjoe

I wish another serious contender would enter Birmingham. ;D

Bob

True but i still think they could enter the Walsall-Cannock corridor ( the direct route not the number 2) as its quite lucrative)

Tony

winston

Quote from: Tony on August 10, 2012, 11:19:50 AM
Here is the official press release

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/arriva-aquire-midland.aspx

Tony,

I'm surprised Arriva haven't acquired the whole of the D&G group, do you have an idea whether it will be Wednesfield or West Bromwich garage that will close? I'm assuming the former is more likely with the VA increase at Cannock etc

Stu

Interesting development!

I must admit the only current Midland route I am familiar with is the 200/201 Oldbury-Bearwood circular, so it will be strange seeing Arriva buses in Warley!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

winston

Quote from: Stu on August 10, 2012, 11:32:02 AM
Interesting development!

I must admit the only current Midland route I am familiar with is the 200/201 Oldbury-Bearwood circular, so it will be strange seeing Arriva buses in Warley!

At least the acquisition of Midland will finally provide Arriva with Centro Tenders at realistic prices. It will be interesting to see if the latest batch they are reported to have won are also for a 5 yr term

j_rp_wright

Just spoke with my friend at Midland, after a staff meeting he can condirm Arriva HAVE brought the company!!

j_rp_wright

Just been confirmed Arriva have bought Midland. My friend was told yesterday during a staff meeting.

j_rp_wright

j_rp_wright

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk