News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Arriva take over Midland

Started by Ck, July 27, 2012, 07:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Michael on August 09, 2012, 07:38:23 PM
I think we can safely say that the joint NXWM-Midland route will cease joint operation lol. I really hope that NX put up a fight to drive Arriva out.

Err why? well apart from the name of the one operator changing

MW

Quote from: Tony on August 09, 2012, 08:11:12 PM
I think we can safely say that the joint NXWM-Midland route will cease joint operation lol. I really hope that NX put up a fight to drive Arriva out.

Because Arriva appears to be more of an offensive operator, rather than defensive. By that I mean, the fact that they are taking a lot of Centro contracts at knockdown prices obviously suggests that they've got greater plans for the West Midlands commercially, so companies like Midland & Rotala won't do much for Arriva commercially. Now obviously they'll have to cross horns with NXWM, so if I was NXWM management, I wouldn't be happy with operating jointly with a company that's attacking me.

Tony

Quote from: Michael on August 09, 2012, 08:27:47 PM
Quote from: Tony on August 09, 2012, 08:11:12 PM

Because Arriva appears to be more of an offensive operator, rather than defensive. By that I mean, the fact that they are taking a lot of Centro contracts at knockdown prices obviously suggests that they've got greater plans for the West Midlands commercially, so companies like Midland & Rotala won't do much for Arriva commercially. Now obviously they'll have to cross horns with NXWM, so if I was NXWM management, I wouldn't be happy with operating jointly with a company that's attacking me.

But the deal was negotiated by Centro, someone Arriva are unlikely to want to upset, and Arriva will want to generate goodwill with passengers when they move into an area and stopping a ticket popular with the locals is hardly likely to do that. On the other hand as neither Midland or Arriva have registered a directly competitive service against NXWM for a long time.

While Arriva are trying to establish themselves in the area they are unlikely start a bus war risking losing all the money they are handing over tomorrow by losing and getting left with a load of 5 year centro contracts that are difficult to get out of at a ridiculously low tender price losing even more money.

I expect Arriva to just use the Midland purchase as an 'economies of scale' operation for some time making the tenders they have won more economical by reducing the overheads allocated to each route.

The big question is which depot will close to acieve this, West Bromwich or Wednesfield? Some routes are obviously moving to Cannock depot, hence the increase in VA approved recently. The 62 & 23 which operate from Cannock Bus Station are an obvious two, but that is only 3 buses. Cannocks VA at 95 is currently 34 above the allocation of 61 so it looks like more may be moving in.

Badger

Was just thinking how Midland really need a repaint, will be interesting to see an entire fleet done in Arriva's new livery if they keep the fleet.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

Ck

There is also the 15,81 and 810 which could run from cannock depot

MW

Quote from: Badger on August 09, 2012, 08:59:11 PM
Was just thinking how Midland really need a repaint, will be interesting to see an entire fleet done in Arriva's new livery if they keep the fleet.

They might keep it separate to the traditional Arriva bus operations.

Bob

i wonder if theyd keep the 810, must be the least used bus route in Cannock! Yet years ago when it was the Green Bus 10 service it used to be run by full Leopards & Atlanteans/Conductor operated deckers!

Badger

Whenever I've tried to catch it the driver's said my n network pass is invalid (within WM to within WM). On top of that round Fordhouses at least it lacks solid stops, I'm sure many don't know it exists. Plus a really weird timetable.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

Ck

tbf the timetable isnt very good anymore 4 trips a day it starts at 8 and is finshed by 330 i thought it was under contract

D10

Quote from: bob on August 09, 2012, 07:57:29 PM
Yea maybe NX will come back to Cannock lol

And perhaps NX might also fancy a go in Telford, Tamworth and Lichfield too to show Arriva that they will put up a fight!

MW

Quote from: D10 on August 09, 2012, 10:25:47 PM
Quote from: bob on August 09, 2012, 07:57:29 PM
Yea maybe NX will come back to Cannock lol

And perhaps NX might also fancy a go in Telford, Tamworth and Lichfield too to show Arriva that they will put up a fight!

Using the withdrawn B6LEs, it just gets better and better lol.

Badger

How would Network WM passes work if NX went to Telford or Cannock? I know they're valid on the 10/255/256/5/5A which all leave the West Midlands, but not as far out. Would it just be like any other operator (only valid in the WM area)?
My local's the 3 and 63.

Bob

Doubt NX would go Telford or Tamworth TBF but they used to have a substantial presence in Cannock, incl monopoly on Walsall routes plus the main operator on Pye Green road services

Ash

Yeah it would be like the other operators as NX Coventry's 12 service goes to Leamington Spa but a network pass is not valid all that distance

winston

Quote from: bob on August 09, 2012, 10:33:49 PM
Doubt NX would go Telford or Tamworth TBF but they used to have a substantial presence in Cannock, incl monopoly on Walsall routes plus the main operator on Pye Green road services

Why not? Arriva have a monopoly in both Tamworth & Telford and it obviously quite a profitable area for them. Don't forget WMT setup the Your Bus operation in the Stevensons stronghold of Burton when they were expanding rapidly in the West Midlands. NX are plenty large enough to throw money at setting up an new operation in one of those towns to get back at Arriva, plus have a size able reserve fleet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk