News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Vintage Trains

Started by Stu, September 29, 2018, 11:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Vintage Trains, based at Tyseley Locomotive Works, has been awarded a TOC licence and is planning to launch a number of regular passenger services using classic steam engine trains.

They are also celebrating their 50th anniversary with an open weekend today and tomorrow (29th-30th September).

https://www.birminghampost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/new-vintage-steam-train-service-15168566

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

mikestone

And the first are Polar Express workings from Moor St to Tyseley Warwick Road and back - four daily Thu-Sun from 29th November at 15.00, 17.00, 18.45 and 20.30.
;
I hope someone has thought this through.

Trident 4194

Steam train arrived in moor street at 15:20 any ideas?

Rob H

Quote from: Trident 4194 on December 13, 2018, 03:37:15 PM
Steam train arrived in moor street at 15:20 any ideas?

They're christmas specials which run from Birmingham Moor Street - Tyseley Up & Through Sidings and return and they've named these specials as the Polar Express :)
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

Stu

My locals:

Stu

I must admit I arrived at Moor St station on Sunday evening having travelled back from London and was a bit surprised to see queues of people standing around in their pyjamas, it is certainly proving quite popular!
My locals:

Trident 4194

Quote from: Stu on December 13, 2018, 09:00:33 PM
I must admit I arrived at Moor St station on Sunday evening having travelled back from London and was a bit surprised to see queues of people standing around in their pyjamas, it is certainly proving quite popular!

Looking at prices though it seems expensive compared with the SVR. Scenery much nicer too on the SVR. The idea is a good one though.

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on December 13, 2018, 09:03:22 PM
Looking at prices though it seems expensive compared with the SVR. Scenery much nicer too on the SVR. The idea is a good one though.

It's not about looking out the window,  it's basically a full theatre production. Read the reviews, most say that it's value for money

winston

Quote from: Trident 4194 on December 13, 2018, 09:03:22 PM

It's not like for like with the SVR, it's not the Steam Train your riding it for, it's for the entertainment / telling the story of the Polar Express for the kids. I went on it Sunday from Telford Steam Railway with my lad. It was a really good experience, everyone enjoyed it!

Stuharris 6360

Believe 50049 is currently based at Tyseley as a "standby" locomotive for the service.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

mikestone

Running again this year but between Moor Street and Dorridge - Wensleydale version has snow making machines - presumably these don't?
;
According to RTT they ran on Friday although didn't appear to be on VT website . Yesterday they were in RTT but appear to have not run.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk