News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Diversions

Started by JB93, April 21, 2013, 01:23:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CL

Are the Broad Street services not using Holiday street anymore? It seems they've adopted a controlled one-way system at the end of Broad Street; causing quite a bottleneck. It's added 10 minutes to my commute to school and I'm not impressed.

I don't want anyone to tell me "I should've left out earlier" because how was I to know? Irate would be an understatement.

Basically I's like to know why the buses aren't using Holiday Street.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Dom

Quote from: CL on November 13, 2017, 08:27:47 AM
Are the Broad Street services not using Holiday street anymore? It seems they've adopted a controlled one-way system at the end of Broad Street; causing quite a bottleneck. It's added 10 minutes to my commute to school and I'm not impressed.

I don't want anyone to tell me "I should've left out earlier" because how was I to know? Irate would be an understatement.

Opened at midnight.

Tony

Would this be the same Holliday Street that was causing huge delays to the buses mentioned a couple of weeks ago?

Tony

We're watching the bottom of Broad Street, the junction onto Paradise Circus on the Traffic Cameras this morning and can see that there is  some tweeking needed in the Traffic control. The chap from Birmingham Council has just left with a list of what needs doing, but there have been no delays inbound on Broad Street this morning, a big improvement on using the diversion and in the morning peak inbound is the priority.

Outbound the biggest delays were around 08:00 when there was a queue down Suffolk Street delaying the Harborne services, but the biggest delay was 5 minutes, you were certainly not delayed by 10 minutes due to it.

TT90

I've seen a few issues with buses turning right from paradise back onto broad street outbound. They catch the temp lights on red and have to wait for the buses coming the other way to clear. When they do get a green light they still can't move as the buses are queing and sat at the bottom of broad street waiting to turn left onto paradise etc. No doubt this is causing delays and needs looking at ?

CL

Firstly, I'd like to thank Tony & Dom for the replies.

Secondly from personal experience, I've never really noticed delays much when buses used Holliday Street, which is probably why I liked the diversion (never really added more than 1/2 minutes to my journey). That being said, nowadays I rarely catch peak time buses to experience what it could be/has been described to be like; a "car park".

In regards to this morning's journey, I'll admit, I may have been bending the truths a bit. I checked the clock on my phone at Municipal Offices; 08:07. And again whilst my bus was stuck at the Broad Street turning. That was definitely 08:15, or thereabouts. That probably explains where I got "10 minutes" from; by measuring the time from Municipal Offices. If it helps, I was on 6107; following a B7 ALX on the 128 (iirc), and a price-branded MMC on the 9.

On a separate, but similar, note; it really is irritating when car drivers use the 'bus gate' at Broad Street. Definitely a contributing factor to delays experienced. But even the driver of the blue hatchback had got tired of waiting behind a van and two buses at the temp lights! Haha

MW

Quote from: CL on November 13, 2017, 10:31:13 PM

Secondly from personal experience, I've never really noticed delays much when buses used Holliday Street, which is probably why I liked the diversion (never really added more than 1/2 minutes to my journey). That being said, nowadays I rarely catch peak time buses to experience what it could be/has been described to be like; a "car park".

In regards to this morning's journey, I'll admit, I may have been bending the truths a bit. I checked the clock on my phone at Municipal Offices; 08:07. And again whilst my bus was stuck at the Broad Street turning. That was definitely 08:15, or thereabouts. That probably explains where I got "10 minutes" from; by measuring the time from Municipal Offices. If it helps, I was on 6107; following a B7 ALX on the 128 (iirc), and a price-branded MMC on the 9.

On a separate, but similar, note; it really is irritating when car drivers use the 'bus gate' at Broad Street. Definitely a contributing factor to delays experienced. But even the driver of the blue hatchback had got tired of waiting behind a van and two buses at the temp lights! Haha

I'm guilty of using the bus gate in my car lol

I also use the bus lanes in the City Centre after 7pm. I think that you're allowed to use them after that time. I've taken that left turn at Moor Street under the tunnel to go outside New Street plenty of times. This is all after 7pm though. Never had any tickets. I'm pretty sure you can after 7pm

DJ

Quote from: MW on November 13, 2017, 11:42:27 PM

I also use the bus lanes in the City Centre after 7pm. I think that you're allowed to use them after that time. I've taken that left turn at Moor Street under the tunnel to go outside New Street plenty of times. This is all after 7pm though. Never had any tickets. I'm pretty sure you can after 7pm

Nah, it's 24/7 operation, and it seems like most of the others are, according to a PDF I found here.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Dom

Quote from: MW on November 13, 2017, 11:42:27 PM

Yeah a lot of them are available to use after 7pm, Carrs Lane for example.

Tony

Quote from: CL on November 13, 2017, 10:31:13 PM

Would have seemed worse for you as well because 6107 lost two minutes between Brindley Place and Sheepcote Street after the contraflow, not sure what cause that, but that is out of view from the cameras I was watching

CL

Quote from: Tony on November 14, 2017, 11:04:16 AM
Would have seemed worse for you as well because 6107 lost two minutes between Brindley Place and Sheepcote Street after the contraflow, not sure what cause that, but that is out of view from the cameras I was watching
Ahh, alright. Thanks for that.

Caught 3304 on the 9 this morning. Definitely wasn't as bad as yesterday!

Trident 4194

Quote from: CL on November 14, 2017, 03:16:56 PM
Ahh, alright. Thanks for that.

Caught 3304 on the 9 this morning. Definitely wasn't as bad as yesterday!

Still caused severe knock on delays as illustrated by the 3 convoy of 9 at 10:35 halesowen towards Stourbridge- 2 streetdecks, 1 mmc

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 14, 2017, 04:04:39 PM
Still caused severe knock on delays as illustrated by the 3 convoy of 9 at 10:35 halesowen towards Stourbridge- 2 streetdecks, 1 mmc
You haven't been on those buses all morning, or been near Broad Street. So how come you aitomaticlly assume that it was Broad Street that made those buses late.

When they were still using Holiday Street, Holiday Street was causing lots of disruption the evening I went down there on the 128.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Mike K

A 9 has just taken a left turn off Broad St onto Sheepcote St towards city whereas the 120 in front and the 127 behind continued down Broad St. Are some buses being diverted due to the delays at the bottom of Broad St?

karl724223

Quote from: Mike K on November 14, 2017, 05:09:54 PM
A 9 has just taken a left turn off Broad St onto Sheepcote St towards city whereas the 120 in front and the 127 behind continued down Broad St. Are some buses being diverted due to the delays at the bottom of Broad St?
probably turned at five ways sometimes it's quicker to turn left at sheepcote street and loop the island than go up at five ways

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk