News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

8A/C Inner Circle

Started by Jay71, April 16, 2024, 02:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay71

8a/c. When was a double decker last used on this route?  Were they stopped being used because of low bridges?

markcf83

Quote from: Jay71 on April 16, 2024, 02:20:14 PM8a/c. When was a double decker last used on this route?  Were they stopped being used because of low bridges?
Certainly not in the last 25 years,if indeed not longer. 
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Tony

Quote from: markcf83 on April 16, 2024, 03:13:21 PMCertainly not in the last 25 years,if indeed not longer.
They were used up to the closure of Hockley garage 

Jay71

Quote from: Tony on April 16, 2024, 03:50:37 PMThey were used up to the closure of Hockley garage
Did they stop using double deckers because low bridges?  Or was it another reason?

Tony

Quote from: Jay71 on April 16, 2024, 03:54:23 PMDid they stop using double deckers because low bridges?  Or was it another reason?
When Hockley closed it went to Bordesley garage which only ran single decks

Tony

Here's the last double deck I saw on the 8 taken in March 2005

Ronnoc

In the view of NX, do the current passenger loads warrant a need to upgrade this route to double decks? From what I've seen as a passenger, it sure as hell does. This is all up to the fleet situation at NX ofc, but just wondering.

Jack

Quote from: Ronnoc on April 16, 2024, 05:52:34 PMIn the view of NX, do the current passenger loads warrant a need to upgrade this route to double decks? From what I've seen as a passenger, it sure as hell does. This is all up to the fleet situation at NX ofc, but just wondering.
Can't with the current signage at Highgate Road.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on April 16, 2024, 06:10:36 PMCan't with the current signage at Highgate Road.
Yes they can, plenty of double deckers can go under there, but while Perry Barr has a mix of buses that can and can't it's safer just not to run any.

Jack

Quote from: Tony on April 16, 2024, 06:17:47 PMYes they can, plenty of double deckers can go under there, but while Perry Barr has a mix of buses that can and can't it's safer just not to run any.
E400MMC's can can't they? Isn't the current signage a red circle.

Stu

Topic split off as nothing to do with BusTimes.

@Jay71 if you can't find an appropriate topic to ask such questions in then please start a new one.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Ronnoc

Current signage is 14' 3 with a red circle, meaning E400 MMCs and BYD E400 Cities (and the new E400EV model) can fit under there. The sign used to be triangle not long ago, back then you'd have 14' 5/6 buses going under regularly. I'm sure some 11A/C deadrun buses still go through it sometimes.

Stu

Quote from: Ronnoc on April 16, 2024, 05:52:34 PMIn the view of NX, do the current passenger loads warrant a need to upgrade this route to double decks? From what I've seen as a passenger, it sure as hell does. This is all up to the fleet situation at NX ofc, but just wondering.
I did a 'lap' of the 8C one Saturday afternoon a few weeks ago now - yes, I was bored and wanted something different to do!

In my opinion, under 'normal circumstances', the route copes quite well with single decks at its current frequency levels (every 12-15mins).

The problems with overcrowding come when the buses get delayed and start running late, but then the same can be said for any other bus service that uses single decks.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Ronnoc on April 16, 2024, 07:26:23 PM. I'm sure some 11A/C deadrun buses still go through it sometimes.
No they don't disciplinary offence

Westy

Ive done the 11.

Is the 8 worth a look, from a bash pov?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk