News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Stagecoach in Birmingham

Started by monkeyjoe, December 08, 2022, 10:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ellspurs

Quote from: Jack D on January 01, 2023, 10:59:18 AMIs there 2 or 3 buses on a9 today?
On bustimes I see one at Blythe Valley (36427), one by Clay Lane (36426) and one on Lea Hall Road (36951).

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Westy on January 01, 2023, 10:12:03 AMI guess the previous operator had failed.

Was that the era of Caves or had they gone already?

Caves ceased in 1999.  I think it was Communicare/Buzzways that ran the 669 until giving it up at short notice in 1996.

Stu

It would appear that the 'new' 46 route is not fully replacing the 48 between QE Hospital and Northfield - as claimed by both NX and TfWM - but is only operating the route specified in the contract tender, essentially missing out Weoley Castle.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Stu on January 01, 2023, 05:47:21 PMIt would appear that the 'new' 46 route is not fully replacing the 48 between QE Hospital and Northfield - as claimed by both NX and TfWM - but is only operating the route specified in the contract tender, essentially missing out Weoley Castle.

Yes the map has been on on bus times for a while now. Basically misses out the parts already served by the X21.
46 - Kings Heath - QE Hospital – Stagecoach Midlands – bustimes.org

& There is another minor route change in the Kings Norton/Hawkesley area to.  Where it is to use Foyle Road, Redditch Road, Wharf Road. Instead of Shannon Road, Masshouse Lane.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on January 01, 2023, 06:09:36 PMYes the map has been on on bus times for a while now. Basically misses out the parts already served by the X21.

& There is another minor route change in the Kings Norton/Hawkesley area to.  Where it is to use Foyle Road, Redditch Road, Wharf Road. Instead of Shannon Road, Masshouse Lane.
It's not available now on the TfWM website, but when I saw this before, their map showed the 46 going via Weoley Castle, same as the 48 did.

The change in Kings Norton to use Wharf Road is to accommodate the rerouting to Brandwood End.
My locals:

SO6597

Quote from: 2206 on January 01, 2023, 06:09:36 PMYes the map has been on on bus times for a while now. Basically misses out the parts already served by the X21.

Weoley Castle was missed out when route learning for the 46 took place just before Christmas. Regular services return to Shenley Fields Rd for the first time since the demise of the old 69.

I'll be interested to see whether the route through Northfield remains the same as it is now. I took a look today and, as the maps suggest, buses continued from Church Road across Bristol Rd South and the A38 onto Bell Hill rather than through the centre of Northfield. While the distances of the stops passengers must use from the centre are not huge, they are a bit more out of the way than before.

bususer28

I caught the new 46 today for a few stops because well, why not! Everything was fine but the driver said that the card reader was not yet accepting nBus swift tickets so, as was to be expected, the reader decline it although the driver let me on anyway. I'm not sure if the problem is unique to that bus or whether the ticket machines haven't yet been configured to accept nBus tickets... 

Stu

Quote from: bususer28 on January 02, 2023, 04:42:08 PMI caught the new 46 today for a few stops because well, why not! Everything was fine but the driver said that the card reader was not yet accepting nBus swift tickets so, as was to be expected, the reader decline it although the driver let me on anyway. I'm not sure if the problem is unique to that bus or whether the ticket machines haven't yet been configured to accept nBus tickets...
Probably the ticket machines need a software update; Stagecoach already operate services into Coventry so buses should be able to accept nBus Swift passes, however these vehicles being used are recent transfers from Manchester as previously noted by Tony.

Still, this is something that should have been sorted out before the vehicles entered active service.
My locals:

Steveminor

The buses are coming from the rugby depot who I don't believe run anything else into the west midlands.

To get the machines configured they would need the coding data from Tfwm & well it's Christmas/new year isn't it so no doubt there's been a delay in receiving the data.

Tony

QuoteThe buses are coming from the rugby depot who I don't believe run anything else into the west midlands.

To get the machines configured they would need the coding data from Tfwm & well it's Christmas/new year isn't it so no doubt there's been a delay in receiving the data.
Rugby depot have run the 86 into the West Midlands for many years

don

Quote from: Steveminor on January 02, 2023, 09:58:35 PMThe buses are coming from the rugby depot who I don't believe run anything else into the west midlands.

A cursory glance around the various Stagecoach operations on bustimes indicated virtually no, or nil Nuneaton based buses showing any service information whatsoever (but buses tracking); the same for the handful in Birmingham; some Leamington and some Rugby vehicles showing service information. Hopefully their info will be fixed before too long!!! 
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

Wumpty

Interesting to hear a suite of new Stagecoach radio adverts airing across West Midlands radio stations. No mention specifically of the new tendered services, but generic Stagecoach bus and ticket info. 

The last time Stagecoach made any real attempt with radio campaigns was late 90s on Mercia FM.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Westy

Quote from: Wumpty on January 03, 2023, 07:48:16 AMInteresting to hear a suite of new Stagecoach radio adverts airing across West Midlands radio stations. No mention specifically of the new tendered services, but generic Stagecoach bus and ticket info.

The last time Stagecoach made any real attempt with radio campaigns was late 90s on Mercia FM.
It'll be interesting to see which frequencies those ads are on.

I guess they are only on Birmingham & Coventry Dab & Fm  as there's no point
on the Wolves Dab & Fm? 

the trainbasher

QuoteInteresting to hear a suite of new Stagecoach radio adverts airing across West Midlands radio stations. No mention specifically of the new tendered services, but generic Stagecoach bus and ticket info.

Which station out of interest?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

I caught a Stagecoach Rugby A9 for the first time this morning.
Drivers changed over in Solihull and cash box stays with driver when they change over & card reader on the bus wasn't working at all.
The relief Driver followed normal route to the Journeys End then went the wrong way. Turned from Woodcock Lane North into Clay Lane then back down Barn Lane, were it reversed into Amberley Road, then followed the 58 route back the Journeys End, where it again went the wrong way, down Clay Lane and Bosworth Road then down Linclon Road North, where it again reversed into Pierce Avenue to go back. Then back down 58 route up to the Swan. The third time it came past the Journeys End an elderly woman hailed it to ask, why she'd seen 3 buses go towards Kingshurst and non towards Solihull. Probably the first time he's drove this route I guess. 
Was weird travelling down Lode Lane to on a Stagecoach bus, on the same road I travelled down on 7527 only a short while before. Was 36948 operating the 9.00 from Blythe Valley.

Also theres a D1/D2/D3 branded bus that went through Solihull a few times earlier, a long way from Daventry. I take it was on 169.

It is a bit of a shame as well the excellent £1 pre 9.30 concession fare Landflight/NX have will have ceased on the 58 with change of operator.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk