News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Mobile ticketing

Started by mesub, September 13, 2022, 05:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesub

Looks like people will need to start scanning their mtickets with the QR code that is displayed when a ticket is active, from the 3rd of October. There's a notice on the website and on the driver's cab door (as shown on 6864).

Hopefully this increases revenue and reduces fakes (especially with the schoolchildren!) although I believe it has been previously said that it may slow down boarding times.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Stu

Quote from: mesub on September 13, 2022, 05:00:36 PMLooks like people will need to start scanning their mtickets with the QR code that is displayed when a ticket is active, from the 3rd of October. There's a notice on the website and on the driver's cab door (as shown on 6864).

Hopefully this increases revenue and reduces fakes (especially with the schoolchildren!) although I believe it has been previously said that it may slow down boarding times.
To be honest, they should have done this from the start.

Gone are the days when people would briefly flash a crumpled two year old Daysaver at the driver and then walk on, now people just wave some image on their phone.

It will only slow down boarding times if people don't know what they are doing.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

the trainbasher

It'd be good if they implemented scannable AZTEC codes on paper Daysavers and TfWM products too (similar to how Ticketer can do it).

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

mesub

QuoteIt'd be good if they implemented scannable AZTEC codes on paper Daysavers and TfWM products too (similar to how Ticketer can do it).

I'm sure Tony said something about how they would be able to be photocopied (at least the paper daysaver), potential causing a larger loss in revenue than the current daysaver system (which I think works fine). Does AZTEC have any safeguards against fraudulent usage?
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield

mesub

QuoteIt will only slow down boarding times if people don't know what they are doing.

I'm sure it would take a few weeks for people to get used to it, but I'm sure it's a short term tradeoff for a long term gain in revenue.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield

mesub

23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield

Quote from: mesub on November 07, 2022, 09:51:40 PMIt looks like it's now live.
Yes, I noticed lots of drivers were showing people how to scan these today.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Ginger66

Quote from: 2206 on November 07, 2022, 10:29:34 PMYes, I noticed lots of drivers were showing people how to scan these today.
Scanned okay this morning, going home on the 12a and 4 the QR was not reading the mobile tickets 

Westy

I don't suppose Nx have updated that guide they issued when the Travelshops shut, as that was quite useful?

Ginger66

Epic fail: I scanned by NX ticket  monthly ticket on the diamond bus 40 service and the ticket would not read.  

Steveminor

Quote from: Ginger66 on November 12, 2022, 10:58:53 AMEpic fail: I scanned by NX ticket  monthly ticket on the diamond bus 40 service and the ticket would not read. 

The NX app currently using Aztec QR code rather than standard, this is in line with their etm provider init & there is currently no interchangeability between ticketer & init as the ticketer scanner is trying to locate the data points on the outside of the code while the Aztec data locator is in the centre.
A universal reading scanning software upgrade is in development 

Jack6101

PN 4761 you can't scan your ticket due to the scanner not being made higher 
Local routes
74-Dudley -great bridge-west Brom-soho road-hockey-Birmingham
87-Dudley-tividale-oldbury-smethick-Dudley road , city hosp, Birmingham
126-Dudley-Birchley island-bearwood-Birmingham
14- Dudley - Oakham -whiteheath- blackheath- Quinton - helsowen
14A- Dudley - Oakham ( city road ) - blackheath - oldhill - Cradley Heath- quarry bank - merry hill

Ginger66

I am still on the fence about the scanning of m tickets.

It seems some you have you have to hold you phone in a certain position to get it to read.  

Stu

Quote from: Ginger66 on November 16, 2022, 07:10:57 PMI am still on the fence about the scanning of m tickets.

It seems some you have you have to hold you phone in a certain position to get it to read. 

Ideally you would hold your phone at a 90 degree angle to the bottom of the reader, to give it the best chance of 'seeing' the QR code on your screen.

The guide on the NX Bus website makes it look straightforward enough, but perhaps some people would benefit from a video demonstration.
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/help-information/mticket-qr-code-scanning-now-live

It's like with tapping a Swift card or bank card, there are still people who insist on 'slapping' their card on the reader and then slide it around all over the place, and then grumble when it won't scan. :rolleyes:
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Quote from: Ginger66 on November 16, 2022, 07:10:57 PMI am still on the fence about the scanning of m tickets.

On 1863 tonight I noticed about 10 people try and scan the M tickets and the reader didn't scan any of them. The driver told them just carry on.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk