News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

End of yet another era!

Started by Westy, March 07, 2021, 12:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/if-you-have-a-paper-travelcard-things-are-changing

Started seeing the notices on the buses this week just gone.

Anyone remember when they first bought a bus pass?

Mine would've been Summer 1987, when I left school & started initially at Walsall Itec, then getting a job at my employer through that.

the trainbasher

It's all well and good NX going "paper free" but it's one of the only places you can get a one day network on proper TfWM stock (and be able to pay by cash/card) since WMR started printing them on bog roll stock.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Tony

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 07, 2021, 12:48:53 AM
It's all well and good NX going "paper free" but it's one of the only places you can get a one day network on proper TfWM stock (and be able to pay by cash/card) since WMR started printing them on bog roll stock.

And you still can. The paper free refers to the weekly and longer travelcards

bususer28

Quote from: Westy on March 07, 2021, 12:24:39 AM
https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/if-you-have-a-paper-travelcard-things-are-changing

Started seeing the notices on the buses this week just gone.

Anyone remember when they first bought a bus pass?

Mine would've been Summer 1987, when I left school & started initially at Walsall Itec, then getting a job at my employer through that.
Wow! It was inevitable I just wasn't expecting it so soon. My first travel card was a very very long time ago and my photocard dates back to the late 90s so at least I'll look more like my photo again!

This begs the question now as to how long it'll be before cash is no longer accepted on the bus or you can't buy tickets on board. I know that it will take a lot longer than this transition but change is coming!

Steve3229vp

Quote from: bususer28 on March 07, 2021, 10:07:30 AM
Wow! It was inevitable I just wasn't expecting it so soon. My first travel card was a very very long time ago and my photocard dates back to the late 90s so at least I'll look more like my photo again!

This begs the question now as to how long it'll be before cash is no longer accepted on the bus or you can't buy tickets on board. I know that it will take a lot longer than this transition but change is coming!
London Buses went cashless in 2014, I would expect NX or TfWM to do the same in next few years

Quote from: Steve3229vp on March 07, 2021, 10:16:46 AM
London Buses went cashless in 2014, I would expect NX or TfWM to do the same in next few years
Can't see it happening yet, the system isn't good enough yet I would think.
Groups of people can't pay for all there fares on one card etc, has to be one card per person from what i've heard. So cash is probably easier for school kids, people paying for young childeren etc I would have thought.

Though the change to paperless travelcards is something that has been coming for a long time I think.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on March 07, 2021, 10:29:49 AM
Can't see it happening yet, the system isn't good enough yet I would think.
Groups of people can't pay for all there fares on one card etc, has to be one card per person from what i've heard. So cash is probably easier for school kids, people paying for young childeren etc I would have thought.

Though the change to paperless travelcards is something that has been coming for a long time I think.

You cannot pay for multiple people on one card in London either, but they are cashless

Quote from: Tony on March 07, 2021, 10:33:15 AM

You cannot pay for multiple people on one card in London either, but they are cashless
Didn't think child fares were available paying by contactless either though? Or the pre 9.30 tickets for concessionary passes? Not sure if they are elsewhere though.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

mesub

I just bought a one month paper travel card as well  :-[.

I do believe NX quietly mentioned it in their payzone FAQs:

Quote from: NX Bus Payzone FAQs
We're sorry things have to change. But the old ticket machines in our agents and travelshops can't be repaired any more.

That being said though, the ones in the Corporation Street Travelshop look fine, so it must just be that a decreasing amount of them still work in an workable manner.

Overall, I do think it's a good move by NX.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

WMT3000

Presumably Network passes bought at railway stations (also valid on bus/metro) will still be valid?

Kevin

Has the Swift system evolved to have daily/weekly fare caps yet? Or still sticking with the idea of loading passes onto cards/phones? I mean, I haven't used a paper ticket in the West Midlands for years, had an nBus pass on Swift pretty much since it launched til I moved south, but I'm just curious
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

ellspurs

Quote from: Kevin on March 08, 2021, 03:29:47 PM
Has the Swift system evolved to have daily/weekly fare caps yet? Or still sticking with the idea of loading passes onto cards/phones? I mean, I haven't used a paper ticket in the West Midlands for years, had an nBus pass on Swift pretty much since it launched til I moved south, but I'm just curious

I think the 'Pay as you go' thing has a daily cap at the cost of whatever is relevant from the following chart. For weekly tickets, I think you have to pre-purchase them.

There seems to be three different cards - the standard "Swift" Card that has the pre-loaded passes on, a "multi-day" card where you can pre-pay for 5/10/15 days' worth of travel and it only activates for that particular day if you use it, and the "Swift go" card which is the daily price capped one.

https://www.wmnetwork.co.uk/swift/

Nowhere near as interconnected as the Oyster card.

EDIT: modified as per Tony's statement below. I just thought there was the residents' card and the visitors card.

Tony

Quote from: ellspurs on March 08, 2021, 04:27:11 PM
I think the 'Pay as you go' thing has a daily cap at the cost of whatever is relevant from the following chart. For weekly tickets, I think you have to pre-purchase them.

There seems to be three different cards - the standard "Swift" Card that has the pre-loaded passes on, a "multi-day" card where you can pre-pay for 5/10/15 days' worth of travel and it only activates for that particular day if you use it, and the "Swift go" card which is the daily price capped one.

Oyster has different types of card as well, no different.

metrocity

EDIT: modified as per Tony's statement below. I just thought there was the residents' card and the visitors card.

Looks like a couple of operators including some rather large ones are not participating in the Swift Go scheme

Tony

No London Travelcards, weekly, monthly and Annual can also be put on Oyster cards, Children are also given Oyster cards as proof of age for free travel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk