News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

New Hydrogen fuelled Buses for Birmingham.

Started by 2206, October 24, 2017, 10:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

The reason the 72 is operated by deckers is because the 71 no longer runs between Solihull & Chelmsley.

Jack

Quote from: MW on November 18, 2017, 01:00:05 AM
The reason the 72 is operated by deckers is because the 71 no longer runs between Solihull & Chelmsley.
Not forgetting how many Deckers they gained a few months ago.
If it was busy, then I doubt they'd keep putting the E200 MMC's on.

Jack6101

Maybe because that's the only buses that was available ??
Local routes
74-Dudley -great bridge-west Brom-soho road-hockey-Birmingham
87-Dudley-tividale-oldbury-smethick-Dudley road , city hosp, Birmingham
126-Dudley-Birchley island-bearwood-Birmingham
14- Dudley - Oakham -whiteheath- blackheath- Quinton - helsowen
14A- Dudley - Oakham ( city road ) - blackheath - oldhill - Cradley Heath- quarry bank - merry hill

MW

Quote from: Jack on November 18, 2017, 09:14:18 AM
Not forgetting how many Deckers they gained a few months ago.
If it was busy, then I doubt they'd keep putting the E200 MMC's on.

There's probably one or two MMCs on there when there's a PVR of about 12-14 (at a guess).

The 71/72 was busy between Solihull and Chelmsley Wood. Why do you think you've got these Mickey Mouse companies trying to compete. There's obviously a market.

The E200MMCs end up on all AG routes. The rare ones are the 11 & X12. Everything else gets them whether it's occasional or full time. Maybe they'd rather put an MMC out instead of an ALX400.

Quote from: MW on November 18, 2017, 01:00:05 AM
No.
The 72 had a frequency increase to every 8 minutes when the 71 was cut and it now operates aling a single route.
It still operates at the same frequency today as when the 71 was operating into Solihull.
So no the deckers on there are not on there to replace the 71.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

MW

Quote from: 2206 on November 18, 2017, 02:54:26 PM
No.
The 72 had a frequency increase to every 8 minutes when the 71 was cut.
It still operates at the same frequency today as when the 71 was operating into Solihull.
So no the deckers on there are not on there to replace the 71.

The busiest sections of all the iterations of the 71 / 72 has always been between Solihull & Chelmsley Wood. Whilst you're technically right, the MMCs & Eclipse II's have always had very healthy loading between these two areas. It's beyond Chelmsley Wood where it quietens down. Now that it's a shorter, high frequency, high patronage route, it makes sense to use double deckers on it.

Quote from: MW on November 18, 2017, 02:58:11 PM
The busiest sections of all the iterations of the 71 / 72 has always been between Solihull & Chelmsley Wood. Whilst you're technically right, the MMCs & Eclipse II's have always had very healthy loading between these two areas. It's beyond Chelmsley Wood where it quietens down. Now that it's a shorter, high frequency, high patronage route, it makes sense to use double deckers on it.
Loadings between Chelmsley and Sutton have been healthy and good when I've used it, though patronage and frequency decrease,   loadings still remain healthy. 1903 had a full load leaving Sutton this afternoon, some of the other Omnilinks I've been on recently have had a standing load leaving Sutton.

From what I saw the Chelmsley to Solihull service seemed to cope with singles deckers and still does today when they are used, they did carry very healthy loads.
Though I suppose now that the low bridge in Castle Vale doesn't affect the route, the deckers do provide some extra capacity.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on November 18, 2017, 03:57:42 PM
Loadings between Chelmsley and Sutton have been healthy and good when I've used it, though patronage and frequency decrease,   loadings still remain healthy. 1903 had a full load leaving Sutton this afternoon, some of the other Omnilinks I've been on recently have had a standing load leaving Sutton.

From what I saw the Chelmsley to Solihull service seemed to cope with singles deckers and do still today when they are used, they did carry very healthy loads.
Though I suppose now that the low bridge in Castle Vale doesn't affect the route, the deckers do provide some extra capacity.
Which proves my point. The 72 still copes with the MMC. So I'm not sure what some people are going mad about.
Most of the time in Solihull the Deckers are never that full, the E200 MMC's cope easily.

Dutsey

Quote from: Jack on November 18, 2017, 04:22:01 PM
Which proves my point. The 72 still copes with the MMC. So I'm not sure what some people are going mad about.
Most of the time in Solihull the Deckers are never that full, the E200 MMC's cope easily.

When I was on the 72 the MMC was rammed and cramped and a bit uncomfortable. I can see why deckers are used.

MW

So are these buses going to be kept at the site in Tyseley, or just fuelled and driven to the depot?

Tony

I'm not an expert on reading these, but this appears to show Wrights & Van Hool have won the contracts for the Hydrogen Fuel Cell buses for the various authorities around the country including Birmingham

http://ted.europa.eu/TED/notice/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:215588-2018:TEXT:EN:HTML

winston

Quote from: Tony on May 19, 2018, 09:59:02 AM
I'm not an expert on reading these, but this appears to show Wrights & Van Hool have won the contracts for the Hydrogen Fuel Cell buses for the various authorities around the country including Birmingham

http://ted.europa.eu/TED/notice/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:215588-2018:TEXT:EN:HTML

Wrightbus have got the double decker order, whilst the single deck order is split between Van Hool & Wrightbus

Quote from: Tony on October 05, 2020, 12:03:27 PM
Progress

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/news/article/727/hydrogen_buses_coming_to_birmingham_next_spring?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn
Will the sprint route start running in 2021 as well, or is it 2022 and that these vehicles will be used elsewhere initially?

Also I wander what this Sprint means for the current X1 to Coventry and X2 along Old Lode Lane. As very similar routes. Other than those sections of the route.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

DJ

The buses will be operated in Birmingham by National Express, with an ambition to run them on the new Sprint route when it opens.

So, does that mean that Sprint won't be using the VanHools after all?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk