News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

NX moving on upwards

Started by Tony, October 16, 2015, 08:26:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

UK Bus Awards 2015
Finalists for the 'Top City Operator' No sign of Nottingham, Lothian & Oxford who everyone thinks other operators should aspire to be like.

Top four finalists are (in alphabetical order)
Brighton & Hove,
Go North East
National Express West Midlands
Stagecoach Manchester,

NX have also been shortlisted in the bids for the Manchester Metrolink

Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) has shortlisted four companies who have successfully pre-qualified to bid to operate and maintain Metrolink from 2017, when the current contract ends.
The opportunity was advertised in early 2015, and following evaluation of pre-qualification questionnaires in July, KeolisAmey, National Express, Transdev and RATP Dev have been shortlisted for progression to the tender stage of the procurement process

PM

Quote from: Tony on October 16, 2015, 08:26:05 PM

UK Bus Awards 2015
Finalists for the 'Top City Operator' No sign of Nottingham, Lothian & Oxford who everyone thinks other operators should aspire to be like.

Top four finalists are (in alphabetical order)
Brighton & Hove,
Go North East
National Express West Midlands
Stagecoach Manchester,

NX have also been shortlisted in the bids for the Manchester Metrolink

Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) has shortlisted four companies who have successfully pre-qualified to bid to operate and maintain Metrolink from 2017, when the current contract ends.
The opportunity was advertised in early 2015, and following evaluation of pre-qualification questionnaires in July, KeolisAmey, National Express, Transdev and RATP Dev have been shortlisted for progression to the tender stage of the procurement process

Very very impressive work by NXWM there. I've always been sceptical of the post TWM era and white/red livery but things are turning around very quickly actually, new and refurbished buses, nice livery, growing numbers and increasing satisfaction. Go North East are a good op as well, I'd personally argue it's Arriva North East who are being far more innovative up there at the moment, Brighton is also a good op, suggestions quality and local decision making at both aren't what they were 10 years ago though. Brighton and Hove have invested well too. Stagecoach Manchester really do look a rock solid op, plenty of investment, innovation, tick all the boxes with a modern fleet.

Great news as well NX shortlisted for Manchester Metrolink franchise, might NX also be able to gain London Midland franchise when that's up for renewal after interim period?

Bryan

Quote from: DiamondDart on October 16, 2015, 11:08:51 PM
Very very impressive work by NXWM there. I've always been sceptical of the post TWM era and white/red livery but things are turning around very quickly actually, new and refurbished buses, nice livery, growing numbers and increasing satisfaction. Go North East are a good op as well, I'd personally argue it's Arriva North East who are being far more innovative up there at the moment, Brighton is also a good op, suggestions quality and local decision making at both aren't what they were 10 years ago though. Brighton and Hove have invested well too. Stagecoach Manchester really do look a rock solid op, plenty of investment, innovation, tick all the boxes with a modern fleet.

Great news as well NX shortlisted for Manchester Metrolink franchise, might NX also be able to gain London Midland franchise when that's up for renewal after interim period?

I agree, NXWM do appear to be improving in leaps and bounds in recent years. It has its problems like any company, the main one being traffic congestion about which it can do little, but I do consider they are doing a great job.

As for getting the London Midland franchise, that is a non starter as it would fall foul of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), previously known as the Competition Commission.

winston

Quote from: Bryan on October 17, 2015, 08:56:07 AM
I agree, NXWM do appear to be improving in leaps and bounds in recent years. It has its problems like any company, the main one being traffic congestion about which it can do little, but I do consider they are doing a great job.

As for getting the London Midland franchise, that is a non starter as it would fall foul of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), previously known as the Competition Commission.

I agree, standards of existing fleet, refurbishment of existing & new fleet investment some what lacked under late TWM / early NXWM partly down to too much emphasis going in to expanding Travel London plus the resulting high levels of debt that Richard Bowker accrued buying the likes of Continental Auto in Spain & unrealistic bids/payment premiums to win ECML.

Although I agree NX bidding for London Midland is not really an option due its dominance in the WM bus market & Metro. NX did have the Central Trains franchise when first awarded. I don't really remember whether there were any undertakings / restrictions imposed

PM

Quote from: Bryan on October 17, 2015, 08:56:07 AM

They ran Centrsl Trains and Silverlink though didn't they?

winston

Quote from: DiamondDart on October 17, 2015, 11:22:53 AM
They ran Centrsl Trains and Silverlink though didn't they?

IIRC. NX Group had the majority of initial rail franchises & then lost them on re-tender, which included the following:

Silverlink
Central Trains
Midland Mainline
Scotrail
Gatwick Express

They acquired Prism Rail which Brought C2C & WAGN to NX

winston

Quote from: countryliner on October 17, 2015, 09:18:49 PM
As for National Express West Midlands - well i dont think that any operator that uses an exact fare policy and does not give change should ever be shortlisted for any awards. I would not consider NXWM as one of the top city operators.

Stagecoach Manchester and Go Ahead North East are slightly better but not great - but still in these annual bus awards they seem to ignore all the good bus operators and instead give the awards to the operators with bad customer service. There are many other operators that deserve the award much more than these operators.

I know that some people might disagree with me but this is just my own opinions and facts that i know.

Do you use NXWM services? your location suggests not. Also, have you witnessed the extent of changes, improvements & investment since 2011? When NX Group debt levels became more manageable.

Exact fare policy has been in place for the 40 - 50 years possibly longer, it speeds up boarding time. The use of cash payments is rapidly dwingling in all services industries

As regards no quality operators receiving any bus awards for excellence, you must have missed quality local WM operator Central Buses winning best small operator of the year.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on October 17, 2015, 09:36:58 PM
Do you use NXWM services? your location suggests not. Also, have you witnessed the extent of changes, improvements & investment since 2011? When NX Group debt levels became more manageable.

Exact fare policy has been in place for the 40 - 50 years possibly longer, it speeds up boarding time. The use of cash payments is rapidly dwingling in all services industries

As regards no quality operators receiving any bus awards for excellence, you must have missed quality local WM operator Central Buses winning best small operator of the year.

Wonder how long it will be before NE follow TFL and ban all cash fares completely.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 17, 2015, 10:03:45 PM
Wonder how long it will be before NE follow TFL and ban all cash fares completely.

I'm not so sure they ban them, I think smartcards will render cash payment surplus to requirement naturally. That said cash payments may still be useful for tourists & infrequent bus usage

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on October 17, 2015, 10:24:20 PM
I'm not so sure they ban them, I think smartcards will render cash payment surplus to requirement naturally. That said cash payments may still be useful for tourists & infrequent bus usage

@Winston That was the excuse that they tried to use in London, especially for tourists, however TFL didn't seem interested. Obviously London didn't have fare boxes so security of money taken was an issue and also the expense of money being collected from garages to be banked.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: countryliner on October 17, 2015, 10:40:33 PM
I really think that TFL should go back to accepting cash on all of their services. They did so for many years and it never caused any problems.

@countryliner Would be nice, but not a chance!

winston

@countryliner  the exact fare policy is highly unlikely to be removed now. With NXWM's drivers not having to faff around with giving change & carrying cash, it reduces the risk of theft & potentially being assaulted. You've got to balance up the pro's & con's between offering change against much slower loading times & potentially longer journey times. Even some WM independents such as Claribel's & Hanson's use cash vaults / exact fare policy.

I'm not that familiar with Compass Bus other they seem to operate a pretty modern fleet.

I don't claim to know your location, I can see where you are connecting to the Internet from through your IP address & internet host. Plus the operators you seem most familiar with are a bit a giveaway.

I don't think the cash fares option will be removed, just gradually superceded by electronic payments

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Winston on October 17, 2015, 10:47:20 PM
@countryliner  the exact fare policy is highly unlikely to be removed now. With NXWM's drivers not having to faff around with giving change & carrying cash, it reduces the risk of theft & potentially being assaulted. You've got to balance up the pro's & con's between offering change against much slower loading times & potentially longer journey times. Even some WM independents such as Claribel's & Hanson's use cash vaults / exact fare policy.

I'm not that familiar with Compass Bus other they seem to operate a pretty modern fleet.

I don't claim to know your location, I can see where you are connecting to the Internet from through your IP address & internet host. Plus the operators you seem most familiar with are a bit a giveaway.

I don't think the cash fares option will be removed, just gradually superceded by electronic payments

Plus if the fareboxes were removed and change could be given, then no doubt drivers would claim it was an extra duty and would want extra money for it.

winston

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 17, 2015, 10:51:21 PM
Plus if the fareboxes were removed and change could be given, then no doubt drivers would claim it was an extra duty and would want extra money for it.

Exactly! extra responsibility & extra risk. Plus there's then also the risk of fares being pocketed by the odd driver

Quote from: countryliner on October 17, 2015, 11:03:45 PM
Thanks. Yes unfortunetly i agree that NXWM are probably unlikely to remove their fareboxes and start giving change. Although it would be quite possible and reasonable for them to start giving change. For example Arriva / First / Go Ahead / Stagecoach all give change in large cities like Manchester / Leeds / Bradford / Newcastle / Leicester and they seem to manage perfectly fine.

It is very rare for drivers to pocket their money. Also they may ask for extra pay but other change giving operators drivers seem to manage perfectly fine

Yes it does seem like smartcards / contactless bank cards are becoming more popular nowadays. But it is good to hear that NXWM probably wont be getting rid of cash.

Also it seems strange that Claribels and Hansons operate an exact fare policy as from what i have seen they operate less routes than NXWM and their services are generally less busy.
Claribels 55 and 94 are the same as the 55 and 94 NXWM operate so, passengers are used to paying the exact fare
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk