News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Super September

Started by wembley86, September 03, 2015, 06:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wembley86

Why is Balfour Beatty suspending works yet again on the metro in Birmingham.  It is the same at Christmas because there are to many people going to be in the city centre.

D10

It is because as you mention like Christmas there will also be so many people in the City later this month what with the opening of the new look New Street Station, Grand Central & John Lewis opening and the Rugby World Cup all occurring.

No doubt it is thought that the construction work and all the extra visitors will not mix!

Kevin

"welcome to Birmingham, you lot are the reason it always looks like a building site"
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

andy41

Quote from: Kevin on September 05, 2015, 08:24:41 AM
"welcome to Birmingham, you lot are the reason it always looks like a building site"

I very much doubt it has ever looked any worse than this though. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse the bulldozers arrived outside Snow Hill at the top of Livery St this week just to complete the image.

Surely this is the most expensive and time consuming Pointless Tram Extension ever. At least Edinburgh ended up with the benefit of some sort of network!

Gareth

To create any kind of future network, you first need to extend it. Not pointless at all. Just time consuming.

andy41

I bet my mortgage there will be no future network for at least 20 years if atall.

dingding

Got to agree a shocking waste of public money better spent elsewhere.

At least all of the weirdo's can get off the tram right outside the Ian Allan shop, that is if it ever gets finished!!

Liberator9

Certainly can't see much benefit from this extension - it's taken a long time for what it is and simply caused disruption to the shops down Corporation Street. I'd much rather have seen the money poured into heavy rail - such as going towards opening stations along the Camp Hill Cord Line and linking it up to Moor Street. Would give some useful rail links to those in King's Heath and Moseley, with even the opportunity for some services to the South West from Moor Street.

B61 ANDREW

I have not yet had chance to see the "new New Street" station yet - apart from TV news clips - but I have to ask, "Is it still as dark and dismal at platform level" ? ? ?  ;)

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: B61 ANDREW on September 23, 2015, 05:49:21 PM
I have not yet had chance to see the "new New Street" station yet - apart from TV news clips - but I have to ask, "Is it still as dark and dismal at platform level" ? ? ?  ;)

Simple answer there, YES!!!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on September 23, 2015, 06:06:08 PM
Simple answer there, YES!!!

The four that are finished (1-4) are better and with some of the  buildings removed at platform level there is a lot mor open space, so they are better

s94

Indeed I think the news said the other night that platform refurbishment will continue for another few months yet. Presumably all will be spruced up and lighten up somewhat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk