News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Birmingham airport skyrail

Started by Trident 4194, June 04, 2015, 08:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4194

Matt is worried about going on this, can people try and put some reassurance into him

Gareth

From memory it's a very short ride and it doesn't go very fast. One car per track I think. It's certainly no Rollercoaster.

Stuharris 6360

It certainly isn't like a rollercoaster.

Just a very short very comfortable ride!

Don't know how many people use it, but well worth a ride.

If Matt is thinking of the terrible incident of a couple of days ago in Staffordshire, i can reassure him that nothing like that will happen!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Trident 4194

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 04, 2015, 08:47:38 PM
It certainly isn't like a rollercoaster.

Just a very short very comfortable ride!

Don't know how many people use it, but well worth a ride.

If Matt is thinking of the terrible incident of a couple of days ago in Staffordshire, i can reassure him that nothing like that will happen!

I'm due to be going to Alton towers on the 18th June. Dreading it! The worst that can happen on skyrail is you Get stuck

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Trident 4194 on June 04, 2015, 08:49:04 PM
I'm due to be going to Alton towers on the 18th June. Dreading it! The worst that can happen on skyrail is you Get stuck

Very true @Trident 4194 , and i think breakdowns on there are extremely rare.

As for Alton Towers, the thing you have to remember is that accidents can happen anytime anywhere, that is the nature of life. Try and enjoy your day out and don't let what happened wreck it!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Trident 4194

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 04, 2015, 08:54:09 PM
Very true @Trident 4194 , and i think breakdowns on there are extremely rare.

As for Alton Towers, the thing you have to remember is that accidents can happen anytime anywhere, that is the nature of life. Try and enjoy your day out and don't let what happened wreck it!

Don't know how long it will be shut for though. Alton towers responded to this incident terribly, and hopefully they learn from their mistakes

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Trident 4194 on June 04, 2015, 08:57:53 PM
Don't know how long it will be shut for though. Alton towers responded to this incident terribly, and hopefully they learn from their mistakes

Wouldn't expect that particular ride to be open anytime in the near future, but with Alton Towers reportedly loosing 1/2 million pounds a day, can't see them keeping it closed for to long.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Matt on June 04, 2015, 08:59:52 PM
Don't worry, I was winding him up. I'm not actually worried of skyrail.

I'm still terrified of going on a plane though. I'm flying to Iceland in 24 days (the country not the chain store) so I have 3 weeks to beat my phobia.

@Matt It may help to mention it to someone when you check in, or even to contact the airline in advance.

Then they are aware of your phobia and can help you by for instance choosing you a seat where you will feel comfortable.

Trident 4194

Watch channel 4 Heathrow airport

the trainbasher

Quote from: Matt on June 04, 2015, 08:59:52 PM
Don't worry, I was winding him up. I'm not actually worried of skyrail.

I'm still terrified of going on a plane though. I'm flying to Iceland in 24 days (the country not the chain store) so I have 3 weeks to beat my phobia.

Re - the plane, statistically you have more chance of getting struck by lightning (or being involved in crash on the A456) than anything going wrong on a plane

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Matt on June 04, 2015, 09:18:09 PM
People always say that, doesn't convince me at all!!

@Matt what exactly worries you about being on a plane!

Trident 4609

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 04, 2015, 09:19:45 PM
@Matt what exactly worries you about being on a plane!

Tbh i'm the same. I've only been on a plane once when i was very little but i am scared to go on one again. Malaysian Airlines, Germanwings and @Alex constantly telling me about plane crashes from the past (;))doesn't help either!

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Nathan on June 04, 2015, 09:31:33 PM
Tbh i'm the same. I've only been on a plane once when i was very little but i am scared to go on one again. Malaysian Airlines, Germanwings and @Alex constantly telling me about plane crashes from the past (;))doesn't help either!

Yes but you are more likely to have an accident on the way to the airport itself, you just have to relax and enjoy the experience.

Believe me Matt once you are in the air you will be fine.

Bryan

Quote from: Nathan on June 04, 2015, 09:31:33 PM

I feel safer travelling by plane than driving around Birmingham with idiot drivers risking people lives.

Although I hate heights, get me in a plane and I love it!

Gareth

Matt, I feel your anxiety about flying. I have flown quite a few times over the years, but each time I feel as nervous as the first.
Taking off feels weird as is the climb and turning. However once at full height, it's not that bad. You'll also find the flight noisier than you may imagine, but it soon just becomes background noise. It's always a good feeling when landing though. What's the flight time to Iceland? 4 hours? Hopefully you'll have some kind of entertainment system on board to keep you occupied. Hope you have a good flight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk