News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

If you had the chance to modify or add any service, what would you do?

Started by Alex, November 15, 2014, 06:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trident4370

I've had a brainwave, I would introduce an express version of the 50, running from Kings Heath to town via Queensbridge Road, Russell Road, Edgbaston Road and straight into town along Pershore. Completely cutting out the Moseley and Balsall Heath traffic and I'd chuck in a £3 return ticket.

Mike K

Quote from: trident4370 on February 23, 2015, 01:53:53 PM
I've had a brainwave, I would introduce an express version of the 50, running from Kings Heath to town via Queensbridge Road, Russell Road, Edgbaston Road and straight into town along Pershore. Completely cutting out the Moseley and Balsall Heath traffic and I'd chuck in a £3 return ticket.

Having lived on, and commuted on the 50 for several years a while back I have in the past wondered myself whether this would be viable. If it were, I think realistically it would only work as a peak hour commuter variant of the 50.

trident4370

Quote from: Mike K on February 23, 2015, 03:16:16 PM

Having lived on, and commuted on the 50 for several years a while back I have in the past wondered myself whether this would be viable. If it were, I think realistically it would only work as a peak hour commuter variant of the 50.

I suppose we wouldn't really know unless someone actually gave it a try, I'd like to think it has some chance of working though even if it was just a peaktime thing but I'd welcome it running all day, especially with the chaos in Moseley atm!

j789

When TWM ran the 50A to Wythall what were the loadings like as think there is potential for an extension. I know Green Bus tried it and it didn't work but I think NXWM with all the possible connections to other parts could make it work, especially to serve schools around there. The Johnsons bus isn't very regular so there must be an opportunity.

trident4370

Don't forget NX not that long ago did try something when they killed off the 69, and ran it every half hourly to Wythall from Brandwood but it didn't last very long.
Green Bus seemed to do terribly on there towards the end, although it probably didn't help the buses spent more time advertising the fares than the fact they were actually going to Wythall.
IF anybody was to have a go at Wythall, I would expect it to be Diamond more than NX, they already have passengers on the S3 so it would make a Diamond ticket more appealing. Plus with the 50 terminating just up the road at Maypole, running every other bus further down to Wythall every 30 mins would be easy. Now they have the monopoly in Redditch I'm sure they are kicking themselves for letting the 178/150 slip away in the first place.

CL

Quote from: trident4370 on February 23, 2015, 07:45:45 PM

I suppose we wouldn't really know unless someone actually gave it a try, I'd like to think it has some chance of working though even if it was just a peaktime thing but I'd welcome it running all day, especially with the chaos in Moseley atm!

No one has really discussed a route number. I assume @trident4370 and @Mike K , we all (should) know that Johnsons run an X50, so clearly (seeing as the stop at the same stop(s)), that number is crossed of the list. Maybe 950? or X5*?

*though, could be mistaken for an Express [AG] 5
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

CL

the trainbasher

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Bob

Id extend a few daytime X51s to and from Cannock.  The last one at 6.55am is still wayyyy to early. A half 7 one would be a bit better.  I got to go brum for work monday and a later last one from cannock would be perfect

trident4370

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 24, 2015, 05:58:06 PM
Could always number it 50x :-)

If it was upto Centro it would be ;)

Nah, It isn't an "Express Route" in the typical sense anyway. It saves time by using a quicker route, not by cutting out stops, hence It's an A route :P Besides 950/X50/50X would just cause confusion for people wanting to travel to Moseley.

sonic84

How about instead of introducing a new variant of the 50, rerouting the 35 so that it no longer calls at Moseley, but runs from Kings Heath via Queensbridge Road & Russell Road and then along the current line of route via Balsall Heath to the city centre.

trident4370

Quote from: sonic84 on February 25, 2015, 11:00:53 PM

How about instead of introducing a new variant of the 50, rerouting the 35 so that it no longer calls at Moseley, but runs from Kings Heath via Queensbridge Road & Russell Road and then along the current line of route via Balsall Heath to the city centre.

That would be even better, especially for me, although now they have just been branded for Moseley I can't see it happening anytime soon  :(

sonic84

Quote from: DiamondDart on January 30, 2015, 10:10:52 PM
Bring back the old 44 service... Handy local links lost when that went...

Put 27 back onto Pamela Road, South Road line of route

I absolutely agree with this.  I don't think the 44 has been adequately replaced since it was withdrawn and a local areas which had a direct route into the city centre were lost.  I can remember getting the 44/44S/44T services from University Station and they were always busy.

I also agree with the 27 going back via Pamela Road.

CL

Quote from: sonic84 on February 28, 2015, 01:44:10 PM
Quote from: DiamondDart on January 30, 2015, 10:10:52 PM
Bring back the old 44 service... Handy local links lost when that went...

I absolutely agree with this.  I don't think the 44 has been adequately replaced since it was withdrawn and a local areas which had a direct route into the city centre were lost.  I can remember getting the 44/44S/44T services from University Station and they were always busy.

Though, I'd say it'd be 'smarter' to house the 44 at BC, instead of PB - if it were ever reinstated... Route number seems fine, as it were. Although, 98B, seems decent if it were to be renumbered - following the 98 to Northfield, or Longbridge...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk