News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

'Hit' records?

Started by windy miller, May 22, 2012, 01:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windy miller

F.a.o tony. we can all see how many times a 'post' has been viewed-no problem, but do you have any Idea how little/often your rail photographs actually get viewed...? Esp old steam phots from a bygone era which not only out- dates (most?) of the forum members but may not be suitable for what is, (predominantly) a bus enthusiasts site ?? Would it be poss for one of your admin colleagues to introduce a totaly separate board for rail enthusiasts? there are many of us who have an interest in both bus and rail maybe, personaly I would put my interest 60-40 in favour of rail-but there simply Is'nt enough of us... where's the support??
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tony

I can see the number of hits on every individual page, but I haven't worked out yet how to get them to show on the pages themselves.

As regards the train side of the website it is quite popular and seems to have a bit of a following, nowhere near the bus side, but it does keep ticking over
Most popular train photo so far this year is http://wmbipcouk.ipage.com/Trains/other/10201.html
with 353 hits, followed by http://wmbipcouk.ipage.com/Trains/class172/172344.html with 344. Who would have thought a photo taken on Bordesley station would be the most popular modern photo!

This compares with 'July' the most popular bus photograph at 4370 hits

Some little tricks help to up the hits if you do have a website is putting discreet links in other places.
Look at the wikipedia page for 10201 at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_D16/2 and you will see I have sneeked a link into my webpage in the 'external links' which has provided about 15 of the hits

I agree, there aren't that many rail enthusiasts, but there's nothing wrong with that, as it is a bus enthusiast forum. Are there any rail enthusiast forums you can recommend?

Quote from: windy miller on May 22, 2012, 01:43:43 PM
F.a.o tony. we can all see how many times a 'post' has been viewed-no problem, but do you have any Idea how little/often your rail photographs actually get viewed...? Esp old steam phots from a bygone era which not only out- dates (most?) of the forum members but may not be suitable for what is, (predominantly) a bus enthusiasts site ?? Would it be poss for one of your admin colleagues to introduce a totaly separate board for rail enthusiasts? there are many of us who have an interest in both bus and rail maybe, personaly I would put my interest 60-40 in favour of rail-but there simply Is'nt enough of us... where's the support??

windy miller

I think that should be Julie? not july, mind you, Iv'e been out with an April , a May, and a June so maybe Thats the trend these days :)

Badger

QuoteI agree, there aren't that many rail enthusiasts, but there's nothing wrong with that, as it is a bus enthusiast forum. Are there any rail enthusiast forums you can recommend?

Hi, I was referred here by railforums.co.uk which seems to have a few West Mids posters, but might not be what you're after. I've actually yet to find a west mids based train site outside of wmbusphotos so might be onto something here.
My local's the 3 and 63.
Casual bus user. Doesn't know much other than some buses look nicer than others.
Contractual web developer, self employed game designer/programmer, Wolverhampton bjorn and bread.

Thanks Badger, I tried it, and most of the users seem to be very arrogant and think they're better than everyone else, and that's saying it lightly, thanks anyway  :)

Quote from: Badger on May 28, 2012, 10:50:03 AM
QuoteI agree, there aren't that many rail enthusiasts, but there's nothing wrong with that, as it is a bus enthusiast forum. Are there any rail enthusiast forums you can recommend?

Hi, I was referred here by railforums.co.uk which seems to have a few West Mids posters, but might not be what you're after. I've actually yet to find a west mids based train site outside of wmbusphotos so might be onto something here.

windy miller

Badger. there are ,as you say 'other' rail forums but in most cases you might find yourself paying a subscription fee for facilities you may not need. If you are a "fully comp" rail enthusiast as I call it- then you may like to try a website called 'Locoscene'. this is a 'user friendly' site where you can browse as a 'guest' or, as a member, you can contribute your 'spots' to your own page. If you are a keen rail photographer, like myself, then you could up-load your own photographic collection on a daily basis (if you wish)- in return for a 'modest ' full membership fee of £12 per year and your 'archive' can go back to around 5-6 years.its worth a look..... :)

windy miller

Re-10201 Your 'sneaky' post to the wiki site was equally as good as the one you 'sneaked' on the forum!- no wonder it had so many hits-you didn't give any pre cognition of what the viewer was going to find 'behind the door'...so to speak, which is why it had so many hits.Q.-is it possible to determine how many 'NON' members, ie guests, currently viewing your steam collection?-. Ps, if you, (or anyone else ) recognises 'our' photo's being duplicated on someone elses site how would you feel about it???

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on June 17, 2012, 04:42:13 PM
Re-10201 Your 'sneaky' post to the wiki site was equally as good as the one you 'sneaked' on the forum!- no wonder it had so many hits-you didn't give any pre cognition of what the viewer was going to find 'behind the door'...so to speak, which is why it had so many hits.Q.-is it possible to determine how many 'NON' members, ie guests, currently viewing your steam collection?-. Ps, if you, (or anyone else ) recognises 'our' photo's being duplicated on someone elses site how would you feel about it???

It depends on whether they have asked or not, I will normally always give permission for people to use my photos... if they ask....
If they just pinch them and put them on their own sites I will normally ask them to remove them and if they do not then I ask the ISP to remove them, which they will normally do.

windy miller

Thanks for that. presumably you can always determine the 'offenders' ISP? one other point -I notice several more (old)  390xxx 11 car sets now in service ie -112 114 131 141- are you aware of any more?

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on June 18, 2012, 03:26:18 PM
Thanks for that. presumably you can always determine the 'offenders' ISP? one other point -I notice several more (old)  390xxx 11 car sets now in service ie -112 114 131 141- are you aware of any more?

I haven't had chance to look out for them yet, when I was at Rugby on Friday I didn't see a single 11 car!

Roy

Quote from: windy miller on June 18, 2012, 03:26:18 PM

According to Modern Railways, there were 12 sets available on 10 June - new 154 to 157 and 107, 112, 114, 122, 131, 136, 137 and 141.  The last couple of times I have caught the 1149 service from New Street to Wolverhampton on weekdays (1023 from Euston), this has been an 11-car set, meaning that the 1245 Wolverhampton to Euston is also an 11-car set. 

windy miller

Thanks roy. I think there was a comment somewhere that there would be about 30 in total but there must be platform restrictions with the 11 car sets I would have thought-? for example- would the down side of Watford junction take an 11 car set ?

There are several platforms where they don't fit, Coventry Platform 4 for example, but they have selective door opening, and you can tell where they don't fit as there is SDO reminder boards on the end of the platform

broma1k

62 coaches are on order to convert 31 sets +390154-157 which were delivered as 11 cars sets making 35 in total

windy miller

Thanks broma- welcome to the 'rails'- (not many of us I'm Afraid) :) I have to assume the 31 sets are/will be a random selection?-  ie conversions where traffic operations permit?. If you see/hear of any more a post on the rail/general page would be appreciated.cheers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk