News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

112-Birmingham-Burton-upon-Trent

Started by lynx1103, March 14, 2014, 05:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynx1103

Service 112 has been running many years sinces 80"s by Stevensons of uttoxeter showing
Many interesting  vechiles turning up on it.

Around 2006 it was withdrawn Burton-Lichfield covered by Arriva service
And Sutton Coldfield-Lichfield as 112 by Zak's Coaches.

Around 2008 the full length route was re-instated Birmingham-Burton.
Around 2011 it was only running Birmingham-Lichfield operated by both
Cannock and Tamworth depots.

It was cut again by 2012 to run Sutton-Lichfield and recent to 2013
Operated by Wednrsfield depot.

It is to be withdrawn by 27 April 2014 such a shame a service with a lot
Of history and depot changes.

Looks like Midland classic have won the battle against Arriva and Central buses.

I remember some great rides during the 90s when operated by Stevensons

Leyland Olympian F96/97 PRE
Mcw Metrobus F181 YDA

And recent 2006 Leyland Lynxs Ex-Cymru turning up

G40 YHJ
G38 YHJ

I will be sad to see this original Stevensons route go

Bob

If I recall correctly the former 812 route, between lichfield and burton,  similar to the 7, was an even older route :) I remember the b-nbf  ECW olympians on the 112 around 1998 branded for it

andy

Quote from: bob on March 14, 2014, 05:37:11 PM
If I recall correctly the former 812 route, between lichfield and burton,  similar to the 7, was an even older route :) I remember the b-nbf  ECW olympians on the 112 around 1998 branded for it

Correct Bob, 1911, 1912 and 1913 all moved to Burton from Tamworth when they were replaced by new Scanias, along with Northern Counties 2005 and 2007 (G505/7 SFT). 4 of them were branded for the 112 but it didn't last very long. I was driving for Burton at the time and frequently ended up on these as many of the drivers there hated leaving Burton or Swad. The Olympians all looked very smart in their branding but unfortunately the three DP's were very long in the tooth by then and despite still being very quick, they were shaking rattling and rotting pretty badly!

Bob

I remember they had a horrible standard nbc interior panel a dirty looking cream/light brown,  and someone had the bright idea of re trimming the seats in bright red MRN moquette which looked hideous lol

andy

I actually liked the maroon moquette when it was first applied to these, they looked very smart. The problem with it, just as on the East Lancs Olympians and early Tigers, was that anything without tinted windows resulted in badly faded trim. Anything allocated to Cannock used to suffer more than most due to the amount of light they were exposed to being parked outside all the time. 1919 in particular looked dreadful when it arrived at Tamworth compared to the original Tamworth ones, the seats were noticably much more faded.

The 112 was a lovely route to drive, such a shame Arriva have managed to cock it up so many times along with other previously profitable corridors such as the Tamworth expresses and the Kingsbury services.

busfan2847

Originally it was a Midland Red route (X12/112) dating back to pre WW2 and passing to Stevensons with Swadlincote garage in August 1987

Prior to that Stevensons operated the X38 Birmingham - Lichfield - Burton - Derby limited stop which started in the early 80s. I remember a wonderful trip on that in September 1983 from Birmingham to Derby on BTX540J a Northern Counties bodied VRT!

Quote from: lynx1103 on March 14, 2014, 05:32:50 PM
Service 112 has been running many years sinces 80"s by Stevensons of uttoxeter showing
Many interesting  vechiles turning up on it.

Around 2006 it was withdrawn Burton-Lichfield covered by Arriva service
And Sutton Coldfield-Lichfield as 112 by Zak's Coaches.

Around 2008 the full length route was re-instated Birmingham-Burton.
Around 2011 it was only running Birmingham-Lichfield operated by both
Cannock and Tamworth depots.

It was cut again by 2012 to run Sutton-Lichfield and recent to 2013
Operated by Wednrsfield depot.

It is to be withdrawn by 27 April 2014 such a shame a service with a lot
Of history and depot changes.

Looks like Midland classic have won the battle against Arriva and Central buses.

I remember some great rides during the 90s when operated by Stevensons

Leyland Olympian F96/97 PRE
Mcw Metrobus F181 YDA

And recent 2006 Leyland Lynxs Ex-Cymru turning up

G40 YHJ
G38 YHJ

I will be sad to see this original Stevensons route go

lynx1103

I Always liked olympions my faveroute were Northern Counties

G505-11 SFT Bacth it would be great for one to Be Preserved in allover Midland Red Livery.

B911-13 NBF Batch was great too I remember B913 NBF In allover advert for Mcdonalds around 1990`s operating for Tamworth Midland Red North
Maninley to be seen on X76/X74.

When it was repainted replced by G91x LHA Batch not sure which one but it was all Over Red Plain and boring with just Mcdonalds when B913 NBF was more Colourful same as WMT 2554.

The 112 will be sadley missed.

andy

Quote from: lynx1103 on March 14, 2014, 07:45:56 PM
I Always liked olympions my faveroute were Northern Counties

G505-11 SFT Bacth it would be great for one to Be Preserved in allover Midland Red Livery.

B911-13 NBF Batch was great too I remember B913 NBF In allover advert for Mcdonalds around 1990`s operating for Tamworth Midland Red North
Maninley to be seen on X76/X74.

When it was repainted replced by G91x LHA Batch not sure which one but it was all Over Red Plain and boring with just Mcdonalds when B913 NBF was more Colourful same as WMT 2554.

The 112 will be sadley missed.

It was 1918 that replaced 1913 as the McDonalds bus. 1913 was indeed a masterpiece, always kept very smart while it was in those colours. Although not sure why they picked that one as a vehicle to be upgraded to private hire and fuctions as it was the one Cannock carpeted the internal panels on and for most of its life stunk of mould and rot!

Bob

Quote from: andy on March 14, 2014, 06:34:36 PM
I actually liked the maroon moquette when it was first applied to these, they looked very smart. The problem with it, just as on the East Lancs Olympians and early Tigers, was that anything without tinted windows resulted in badly faded trim. Anything allocated to Cannock used to suffer more than most due to the amount of light they were exposed to being parked outside all the time. 1919 in particular looked dreadful when it arrived at Tamworth compared to the original Tamworth ones, the seats were noticably much more faded.

The 112 was a lovely route to drive, such a shame Arriva have managed to cock it up so many times along with other previously profitable corridors such as the Tamworth expresses and the Kingsbury services.

I thought it was a nice seat moquette as well but it clashed horribly with nbc era interiors lol. Shame about the 112 but what do they seriously expect when they cut a route to the bone distance wise, then reduce to two hourly and use clapped out mpds? Hardly a great advert.  Compared with a faster hourly service with modern buses. The worst arriva disaster ever has to go to the X31 though lol what idiot thought they could reliably run an express up the M6?

lynx1103

mikestone

Is the 112 still finishing - nothing on Arriva website, nor about any changes to the 35.  I thought Midland Classic might extend some earlier/later x12s to cover the 112?
;
Having said that there is nothing on the Arriva site about the changes around Stafford either

stuartn

Quote from: mikestone on April 25, 2014, 01:00:30 PM
Is the 112 still finishing - nothing on Arriva website, nor about any changes to the 35.  I thought Midland Classic might extend some earlier/later x12s to cover the 112?
;
Having said that there is nothing on the Arriva site about the changes around Stafford either

That sounds like a good idea, maybe suggest it to Midland Classic?

Oddly there's also nothing on the website or on some buses about the Leicester services that are changing this weekend.

I wonder if they think nobody will notice they're changing services.

lynx1103

Quote from: stuartn on April 25, 2014, 11:24:54 PM
Quote from: mikestone on April 25, 2014, 01:00:30 PM
;

That sounds like a good idea, maybe suggest it to Midland Classic?

Oddly there's also nothing on the website or on some buses about the Leicester services that are changing this weekend.

I wonder if they think nobody will notice they're changing services.

Been on the 6 yesterday between mere green and Sutton Coldfield
The 112 has been removed from all of the bus stops.

Bob

I wonder if midland classic will ever extend the x12 to brum

mikestone

I would suggest no - Julian Peddle will be fully aware of the danger of lousing up a successful  service by getting tangled up in Birmingham traffic

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk