News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

is it fare that arriva bus passengers have to suffer on boxing day

Started by bwsau cymru, December 14, 2013, 09:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: nitromatt1 on December 17, 2013, 04:44:37 PM
Quote from: andy on December 17, 2013, 03:42:32 PM
I am delighted that so many services won't be running and only wish others weren't. Why should people be forced to work on Boxing Day just so that debt ridden consumers can get up at 4am to go and buy more crap that they can't afford and don't need from Next.

If people can't stand to do nothing for two whole days, when they still have the internet to shop on anyway, then I think they need to have a look at themselves.

I couldn't agree more with all of that

Except that nobody, at NXWM anyway, is being 'forced to work' all work is by volunteers

andy

Quote from: Tony on December 17, 2013, 04:55:35 PM
Quote from: nitromatt1 on December 17, 2013, 04:44:37 PM
Quote from: andy on December 17, 2013, 03:42:32 PM
I am delighted that so many services won't be running and only wish others weren't. Why should people be forced to work on Boxing Day just so that debt ridden consumers can get up at 4am to go and buy more crap that they can't afford and don't need from Next.

If people can't stand to do nothing for two whole days, when they still have the internet to shop on anyway, then I think they need to have a look at themselves.

I couldn't agree more with all of that

Except that nobody, at NXWM anyway, is being 'forced to work' all work is by volunteers

True, but how long and how many expansions of Boxing Day services before they stop paying a premium to volunteers and start rostering people on?

Kevin

Perhaps worth pointing out not everyone is using the buses to get to shops... There are people working in hospital etc as well...
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stu

Quote from: Kevin on December 18, 2013, 11:40:45 AM
Perhaps worth pointing out not everyone is using the buses to get to shops... There are people working in hospital etc as well...

...and those that work in the shops!

No doubt many people will want to take advantage of the buses to visit friends and family, especially as no trains will be running.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

andy

All of these things used to happen on Boxing Day just fine before.

Steveminor

Unfortunately it is the times we live in where Boxing Day is increasingly just another day.
How much longer before we start treating Christmas Day the same.

I mean on Christmas Eve I was asked if one of the Solihull car parks was open on Christmas Day, when I told him no as all the staff were off so there was no one to open the car parks, he replied "that's totally disgusting someone should be in to open the car parks this isn't a third world country you know"

Tony I know you said Boxing Day was voluntary but just a question, was the service level worked out before you knew how many drivers were available or was it the other way around

vinh1000

Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Tony

Quote from: Steveminor on December 28, 2013, 09:52:05 AM
Unfortunately it is the times we live in where Boxing Day is increasingly just another day.
How much longer before we start treating Christmas Day the same.

I mean on Christmas Eve I was asked if one of the Solihull car parks was open on Christmas Day, when I told him no as all the staff were off so there was no one to open the car parks, he replied "that's totally disgusting someone should be in to open the car parks this isn't a third world country you know"

Tony I know you said Boxing Day was voluntary but just a question, was the service level worked out before you knew how many drivers were available or was it the other way around

Service levels were decided before requests for volunteers went up.

Stu

Quote from: Steveminor on December 28, 2013, 09:52:05 AM

Sadly, this person would probably be one of the first to throw a hissy fit if their employer asked them to work on Christmas Day.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk