News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

VERY Late running services

Started by Stu, November 14, 2013, 06:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

After getting off the 37 in Acocks Green this evening, while crossing the road to get to Barclays Bank, I saw 4023 coming out of Westley Road onto the island, showing 885 Solihull Station on the display.

I thought at first that it was maybe getting ready to start a trip on the 1, but then I noticed there were schoolkids on board!

This was at 17:50, and having just got home and checked the timetable for the 885, the last bus is timetabled to reach Acocks Green at 16:40.

So this bus was running an hour and ten minutes late!  ???

Any ideas why this could have been, and what's the latest anyone's ever known a bus to be running (not counting exceptional circumstances such as heavy snow)?

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

vinh1000

I seen it parked up at Solihull station at 17:00 not doing much
Vinny - frequent bus traveller :-)

HELEN - http://mb-web.co.uk/heleninstaller_3.3.msi
Manual:
Mobitec: http://mb-web.co.uk/MIE.zip

Tony

Quote from: Stu on November 14, 2013, 06:09:54 PM
After getting off the 37 in Acocks Green this evening, while crossing the road to get to Barclays Bank, I saw 4023 coming out of Westley Road onto the island, showing 885 Solihull Station on the display.

I thought at first that it was maybe getting ready to start a trip on the 1, but then I noticed there were schoolkids on board!

This was at 17:50, and having just got home and checked the timetable for the 885, the last bus is timetabled to reach Acocks Green at 16:40.

So this bus was running an hour and ten minutes late!  ???

Any ideas why this could have been, and what's the latest anyone's ever known a bus to be running (not counting exceptional circumstances such as heavy snow)?

One November the 5th around 1986, I cannot remember the exact year, A thick fog came down in the evening, mixed with all the smoke from bonfires this turned into a thick smog and in some areas it was so thick you couldn't even see the road surface through the cab window. I was driving the last 590A which was around 23:00 from City down Coventry Road, Chelmsley Wood, Coleshill and terminate at Washwood Heath garage. I was due to finish at around 00:15, it was closer to 02:00 when I got back to garage despite leaving City on time. It was a less than walking pace drive through Sheldon & Coleshill

37351ml

1988 remember it well. A saturday.

Gareth

I remember that night well. Has to stay over at Grandparents house. Couldn't get a taxi home for love nor money. If it was 1988 then Tony, you would have been on the last few days of the 161/171

Roy

Yes, it was definitely 5 November 1988.  I had been to a rugby international at Twickenham and had travelled back from Euston to Sandwell and Dudley.  The drive back from there to Kingswinford was horrendous as you couldn't see the nose in front of your face.  Fortunately, the section from Burnt Tree to the Lamp Tavern was above the fog and was as clear as a bell.

Matt.N0056

The 71s running together again tonight  - 3 in a row, Lode lane at 17:55

Kevin

Lets be honest, routes like the (4)5(1), 28, 71, 11A/C are always bound to be late running by the very nature of having to cross so many major arteries at fairly busy junctions
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Trident 4609

Quote from: Nathan4775 on November 15, 2013, 06:47:30 PM
Does WB 5 count as late running services ?, they always seem to run in 3's

Tbh Nathan most frequent services such as WB5,WN59, and the Birmingham Corridor Services (Bristol Rd,Pershore Rd, Hagley Rd and Walsall Rd) run late and together due to the heavy traffic on the routes.

Eg Saw 3 59's (All with very busy loadings) this afternoon sat on Wednesfield Rd in the usual heavy traffic

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Trident 4609 on November 15, 2013, 07:36:56 PM
Quote from: Nathan4775 on November 15, 2013, 06:47:30 PM
Does WB 5 count as late running services ?, they always seem to run in 3's

Tbh Nathan most frequent services such as WB5,WN59, and the Birmingham Corridor Services (Bristol Rd,Pershore Rd, Hagley Rd and Walsall Rd) run late and together due to the heavy traffic on the routes.

Eg Saw 3 59's (All with very busy loadings) this afternoon sat on Wednesfield Rd in the usual heavy traffic

Thank you Nath. Its a shame all passengers can't see it that way.

If a driver speeds, they complain. Drivers late, they complain. Drivers early, they complain. See a pattern?

Its not the company's fault for congested roads, yet they still ha e got to take the wrath.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Trident 4609

Also sometimes you have other things that can disrupt the service such as roadworks, Incidents aboard the bus etc.

With WN 59 there is also heavy traffic in and out of Wolverhampton causing buses running together.

Moor Street In Birmingham is quite bad for congestion (Loads of 50's together)

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Trident 4609 on November 15, 2013, 07:53:49 PM
Also sometimes you have other things that can disrupt the service such as roadworks, Incidents aboard the bus etc.

With WN 59 there is also heavy traffic in and out of Wolverhampton causing buses running together.

Moor Street In Birmingham is quite bad for congestion (Loads of 50's together)

But what can be done?

1) More running time around the congested points
2) Larger 'drop back' , causing more bus-related congestion
3) More running time through the rest of the route coupled with a longer 'drop back' at the outer termini, resulting in the service being guaranteed on time when leaving; most of the time.

I'd vote for option 3; it worked perfectly on the Bristol Road. And still does if I'm not mistaken.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Stu

Unfortunately, it seems a majority of passengers who use buses don't seem to appreciate that they are not 'magic devices' that can skip over traffic congestion. You only have to look at many of the comments on the NXWM Facebook page to realise this.

Heavy traffic = congestion on our roads. And buses have to travel along those same roads too you know. But yet it's the bus drivers that get the raw end.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Sh4318

I don't think the 126 ever runs on time ::)
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Stu on November 15, 2013, 08:07:38 PM
Unfortunately, it seems a majority of passengers who use buses don't seem to appreciate that they are not 'magic devices' that can skip over traffic congestion. You only have to look at many of the comments on the NXWM Facebook page to realise this.

Heavy traffic = congestion on our roads. And buses have to travel along those same roads too you know. But yet it's the bus drivers that get the raw end.

Or the Twitter page!! And they even moan when they get the same generic 'Sorry contact 254 7272 etc' reply. What they expect? Grrr, FFS, people nowadays!!
until it cought fire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk