News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bordsley Green

Started by Nathan4775, November 11, 2013, 10:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan4775

Why is Bordsley Green Station not used nomore ? An how long its been closed for now ?
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

Sh4318

Quote from: Nathan4775 on November 11, 2013, 10:11:39 PM
Why is Bordsley Green Station not used nomore ? An how long its been closed for now ?

'Bordesley' train station is used when Birmingham City Football Club are playing. Snow Hill Line trains call here before and after the games
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Tony

Quote from: Sh4166 on November 11, 2013, 10:17:27 PM

'Bordesley' train station is used when Birmingham City Football Club are playing. Snow Hill Line trains call here before and after the games

It also has one scheduled Saturday train every Saturday, not just when Birmingham City are at home.

And to prove it is used, here is a train in the station with passengers getting off
http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/class172/172334.html

and another
http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/class172/172344.html

Sh4318

Quote from: Tony on November 11, 2013, 10:26:57 PM
Quote from: Sh4166 on November 11, 2013, 10:17:27 PM

It also has one scheduled Saturday train every Saturday, not just when Birmingham City are at home.

And to prove it is used, here is a train in the station with passengers getting off
http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/class172/172334.html

and another
http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/class172/172344.html

2v30 1255 Stratford-u-Avon - Great Malvern (13:37 from Bordesley) - runs from Whitlock's End in the Dec 9 timetable
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Roy

As Tony and Sh4166 have said, Bordesley now has a "parliamentary" service of 1 train per week - currently a Stratford to Great Malvern service which stops at 1337 every Saturday.  The new December timetable shows the stopping train as a Whitlock's End to Great Malvern service at 1336.  As well as this, about 10-12 trains stop at Bordesley when Birmingham City are at home - half before the game and half afterwards. 

The station may only be closed by a legal process, and a number of stations retain 1 train a week to avoid going through the closure procedure.

In the 1960's every local train into Moor Street or Snow Hill stopped at Bordesley.  Even in 1987, Bordesley had an hourly off-peak service with most peak hour trains stopping there.  However, by the 1990's, the service had been reduced to 3 peak hour services on Monday to Friday, and 2 on Saturday (0711 to Great Malvern (not Saturdays), 0754 to Great Malvern and 1715 to Stratford).

So it's been largely unused for over 20 years.  The only reason I can think of is its position which resulted in not many people using it.

Kevin

Such a shame really, I'd always imagined it would be well used considering it's location at the top end of Digbeth, fair sized community a short walk away etc... Actually I thought there were plans to reopen it fully when the link to the Camp Hill line was completed?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Roy

From what I can remember, if the Camp Hill chords are built (and this is now in doubt as Birmingham City Council have agreed to sell some of the land needed), the tracks through Bordesley station will have to be realigned. 

This will mean that the platforms will have to be demolished or rebuilt.  If it is the latter, then I would expect Bordesley to be used by more trains as it would not make economic sense to rebuild a station to be used by one train a week.

Stu

I'm sure I read somewhere that if the Camp Hill chords got the go ahead, and passenger stations at Kings Heath and Moseley were reintroduced (which does look like it might happen in the next few years now), that Bordesley station would be relocated and would be open full time to serve the emerging new business areas in Digbeth.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Roy

I've found the map of the Bordesley chords from the original Centro Rail Development document and it suggests that Bordesley station will be demolished, with an option to build a new station closer to the Camp Hill line.

I've attached the map to this post.

Kevin

Oh wow, actually thought it was going to be moved slightly the other way so it could be used by camp hill line services, so in other words it probably is going to remain underused then... What a waste
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk