News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Johnsons

Started by jc, May 02, 2012, 06:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isle of Stroma

It's the 539 that i'm concerned for. Quite a pleasant run & I've been on it several times whether busy or empty. It's another run that i'd place in the 'nice day out' category, as I've invariably been the only fare payer on board.

I have my doubts that it will continue.

winston

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on July 09, 2017, 09:37:38 PM
It's the 539 that i'm concerned for. Quite a pleasant run & I've been on it several times whether busy or empty. It's another run that i'd place in the 'nice day out' category, as I've invariably been the only fare payer on board.

I have my doubts that it will continue.

Are the 539 & 580 not tendered routes? Could just be changing operators?

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Winston on July 09, 2017, 11:17:18 PM
Are the 539 & 580 not tendered routes? Could just be changing operators?

Yes, & I can't imagine much cash gets taken. I hope they remain (if only for selfish reasons, the 539 to Baginton for a mooch around the airport, before a walk via the soon-to-close Electric Railway 'museum', 'plane museum & nookies to Toll Bar End for a 580 back is a pleasant way to pass half a day) but...

winston

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on July 09, 2017, 11:35:36 PM
Yes, & I can't imagine much cash gets taken. I hope they remain (if only for selfish reasons, the 539 to Baginton for a mooch around the airport, before a walk via the soon-to-close Electric Railway 'museum', 'plane museum & nookies to Toll Bar End for a 580 back is a pleasant way to pass half a day) but...

Haven't both routes been around for a good few years?

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Winston on July 09, 2017, 11:43:48 PM
Haven't both routes been around for a good few years?

Certainly, in some form or other. I first rode to Baginton about 27 years ago when the tendered route was run by Heyfordian, & there was Midland Red South history prior to that. I'm thinking more in terms of 'austerity', will the returns justify a new contract? Time, or the next few n&p's, will tell.

winston

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on July 09, 2017, 11:56:32 PM
Certainly, in some form or other. I first rode to Baginton about 27 years ago when the tendered route was run by Heyfordian, & there was Midland Red South history prior to that. I'm thinking more in terms of 'austerity', will the returns justify a new contract? Time, or the next few n&p's, will tell.

Would I be right in thinking that WMT once ran 539 from Coventry?

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Winston on July 10, 2017, 12:05:12 AM

Possibly, although i'm not aware of it. I know of Midland Red South, Heyfordian, A Line, Midland Red South (again) & Johnson's, there were probably more.

The Baginton stops still displayed the MRS paraphernalia a couple of weeks ago. Which is apt, as they were carrying MRS timetables etc when I first visited via Heyfordian.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Winston on July 10, 2017, 12:05:12 AM

Not actually the 539, but WMT did run the 537 in the same area - between Burton Green, Kenilworth, Leamington and Warwick Schools (on Warks CC tender) from 1986 until around the turn of the century IIRC.  Although only really a schools service, it appeared on Centro's Coventry bus map for many years - which may be why it stuck in your mind, Winston.

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on July 10, 2017, 12:36:59 AM
I know of Midland Red South, Heyfordian, A Line, Midland Red South (again) & Johnson's, there were probably more.

Having kept notes of bus services in Warwickshire for quite a while, I believe that's the full set - and you've got the order of operators  spot on!

The 539 and 580 are tendered services, and despite austerity I would be surprised if they do not continue.  Remember that Stratford - Banbury services 6 and 7 will transfer to Stagecoach Oxfordshire on Warks CC tender later this month.  One Saturday about three years ago I did Coventry - Rugby and return on the 580, and I think loadings may have just about hit double figures.  BTW the loop at Ryton was very tight, and I guess that's why the 580 and 539 always seem to be run by Solos.

Isle of Stroma

The 539/580 will be operated by igo from 4/9.

winston

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on July 27, 2017, 12:26:41 PM
The 539/580 will be operated by igo from 4/9.

A little out of their usual operating area.

That explains why Johnson's currently have approx 12 buses for sale

PM

Quote from: Winston on July 27, 2017, 12:28:44 PM
A little out of their usual operating area.

That explains why Johnson's currently have approx 12 buses for sale

The 182/3 services in the Bromsgrove area have also passed to Woosh, the Solos Johnsons were selling have sold according to BCB, it's the Versa Hybrids and Tempos that don't seem to be shifting.

winston

Quote from: PM on July 27, 2017, 01:23:24 PM
The 182/3 services in the Bromsgrove area have also passed to Woosh, the Solos Johnsons were selling have sold according to BCB, it's the Versa Hybrids and Tempos that don't seem to be shifting.

I thought those services may have gone back to Diamond.

PM

Quote from: Winston on July 27, 2017, 02:16:44 PM
I thought those services may have gone back to Diamond.

Indeed, Woosh now seem to be running: 9/9A Kidderminster-Caunsall, 16 Stourport-Bewdley, 147 Halesowen-Catshill, 182/3 Bromsgrove/Lickey-Redditch. I guess Johnsons used a Solo on the routes?

Their 150 is being trimmed back slightly too, last journey will now only run to Maypole from Redditch from September.

"From September 2017, Johnsons Excelbus have a range of Swift cards called 150 City Connect available on the 150 Birmingham to Worcester via Redditch service."
http://www.johnsonscoaches.co.uk/swift/

Johnsons are introducing a new Stratford Excel Zone (Low fare zone). New low fare tickets for Stratford Upon Avon Town Centre. From September 4th 2017.
http://www.johnsonscoaches.co.uk/stratford-excel-tickets/

Unlimited Travel, Daily, Weekly and monthly tickets.
New prices, valid from 4th September 2017. Valid on all services not including Park and Ride.
http://www.johnsonscoaches.co.uk/bus-passes/
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Cedric

there was a johnsons   van  with hazard on  parked in the layby opposite the WMSP in bewdley last night around 7pm no sign of a driver or a coach
earlier in the afternoon  a  johnsons coach was going through bewdley.  have seen one regularly , just lately doing school trips from the school around the corner from me with  a whittles driver driving, have any be transferred over to kidderminster
diamond 8\10/125/292

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk