News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Yardley Wood Garage

Started by Jay, June 12, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Quote from: j789 on July 21, 2019, 12:26:00 PM
I wonder where it was off too then. Didn't look damaged either. Intriguing, maybe Tony knows?

Cummins appear to have an engine place at Daventry, right sort of direction I.e. M5 then M42/M40 maybe?

Tony

Quote from: Winston on July 21, 2019, 12:46:56 PM
Cummins appear to have an engine place at Daventry, right sort of direction I.e. M5 then M42/M40 maybe?

It was just getting a tow back to YW from Longbridge by the look of it

winston

Quote from: Tony on July 21, 2019, 12:49:02 PM
It was just getting a tow back to YW from Longbridge by the look of it

That clears that up then.

Stu

Quote from: CL on July 09, 2019, 01:40:28 PM
6896 has got '#FestivalOfAudacity' in place of the via points on its blinds

While in Kings Heath earlier this afternoon, I noticed several buses on the 50 with this on the display, haven't seen it on any other routes.

Looked it up when I got home, was some kind of 'activist art' festival, finished yesterday:
https://www.beatfreeks.com/whatson/festival-of-audacity-2019
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

JIM H

7519 'Driver training' on Stratford Rd Shirley at 11.20

filbus1

7518 out too, probably driver training by YW garage

37351ml

7519 on 6.14.10 moor street

B.C Driver

Just wondered, does the 49 justify double decker?
If not, can't the single decker off the 6 go onto the 49 instead?
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Sh4318

Quote from: B.C Driver on August 24, 2019, 12:56:32 AM

From observation, it does, especially in the peaks
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Dylanbusboy45

Quote from: B.C Driver on August 24, 2019, 12:56:32 AM

iirc MMC200s are banned from the 49 anyway as they can't get around a few corners due to their poor turning circle. Cotteridge Island being one but there may be others. Needless to say they did escape onto their a few times when YW first got them from AG

John Stait

Yes the 49 needs deckers, particularly in peaks. Busy route. Only suitable route for the MMCs May be the 2/3. But even then they'd struggle at times. They're just a little too long!

Stu

Quote from: John Stait on August 24, 2019, 09:09:06 PM
Yes the 49 needs deckers, particularly in peaks. Busy route. Only suitable route for the MMCs May be the 2/3. But even then they'd struggle at times. They're just a little too long!

The E200s do occasionally appear on the 2 and 3, the only part of the route I've seen any struggle with the 'length' is the left turn from Highgate Road onto Stoney Lane.

But again, the 2 and 3 do both need double decks especially during peak times - I recall that they did try and use single decks for a period of time a few years ago and it didn't really work capacity wise, too many complaints about overcrowding.

I think its more likely that a number of the E200s will be moved on elsewhere, but where to I don't have any idea.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

Quote from: Stu on August 25, 2019, 10:03:38 AM
The E200s do occasionally appear on the 2 and 3, the only part of the route I've seen any struggle with the 'length' is the left turn from Highgate Road onto Stoney Lane.

But again, the 2 and 3 do both need double decks especially during peak times - I recall that they did try and use single decks for a period of time a few years ago and it didn't really work capacity wise, too many complaints about overcrowding.

I think its more likely that a number of the E200s will be moved on elsewhere, but where to I don't have any idea.

The E200MMC just don't turn as much as a proper heavy weight single decker. I remember Olton Station in an MMC, taking that left towards Solihull coming out of Olton. One wrong move and you were hitting into a keep left bollard!

Taking the left turn from Warwick Road towards Olton/Solihull was impossible without turning early and mounting the rear wheels onto the kerb. Alternatively, straddle both lanes on Warwick Road, or go into the oncoming lane when turning. The Geminis/Scania/Eclipse were a doddle to do properly despite many drivers just being lazy and mounting the kerb anyway.

A simple way of putting it is, one more turn on the steering wheel is what these NXWM MMCs are missing. The shorter 10.8m versions are much better, but even they're still not the best. This is where Streetlite (DF) are better than E200MMC, although on the shorter wheelbases it's not as bad.

A B7RLE/Scania Omnilink are far more manoeuvrable than an E200MMC.

darthdc

Ok, can anyone give me a full list of the routes operated by YW. I know routes 2, 3, 6, 18, 27, 35, 49, 50, and 76 are among them, but are there any others?

Busboy105

The 801 and the 802. I think 1 journey on the 72 is operated by Yardley Wood.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk