News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Yardley Wood Garage

Started by Jay, June 12, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Mike K on May 18, 2015, 10:17:39 PM
It's been a long time since I took a bus through Sparkhill, so I'm not qualified to comment, but I was under the (possibly incorrect?) impression that the 6 and 37 were converted to single deck operation due to antisocial behaviour along that section of the route.

Or was that not the reason? Single deckers seem a strange choice for such busy corridors.

I believe that was the reason as I've seen it mentioned in a number of posts
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Liberator9

Think it was due to anti-social behaviour - the arson attack on 4341 was a good example why it makes sense the 6 and 37 are single deck. Never really had any problems along there though - as MW says just a small minority cause hassle along any route really.

Tony

It's been a long time since I took a bus through Sparkhill, so I'm not qualified to comment, but I was under the (possibly incorrect?) impression that the 6 and 37 were converted to single deck operation due to antisocial behaviour along that section of the route.

Or was that not the reason? Single deckers seem a strange choice for such busy corridors.

And there was competition when they were converted, so an increase in frequency done at the same time as conversion also succeeded in beating that.

I have driven over 400 different routes and the worst routes to drive for trouble are very rarely the ones mentioned on here where people sterotype the residents on them as troublemakers. I have posted before I always enjoy driving the 14 and get far more 'Thank yous' on there than a lot of supposed 'better' routes

Tony

Quote from: Liberator9 on May 18, 2015, 10:26:32 PM
Think it was due to anti-social behaviour - the arson attack on 4341 was a good example why it makes sense the 6 and 37 are single deck. Never really had any problems along there though - as MW says just a small minority cause hassle along any route really.

Not really as the bus wasn't on either route and the culprits didn't live on either route!

MW

I think primarily it was due to anti social behaviour, and I'm not sure, but the frequency may have been increased on both. In recent years, from what I've seen, there's much less anti social behaviour on these routes anyway, maybe it's due to the increased revenue checks and police presence, particularly at the Aldi stop.

Of course there was a Trident set on fire on Stratford Road recently as well, which is a bit of an anomaly, and ironically it was outside Aldi! Nobody is saying the area is perfect. But think about it like this. Nobody compares Erdington to Sparkbrook (the recent bus fire). There was a fire in West Brom a few years ago aswell wasn't there, one of the Presidents I think.

I think the conclusion to this debate is that yes all these areas do have its share of shady characters, but to tar the whole area off isn't correct. Don't forget, there's four other routes serving Sparkbrook which are Double Deck operated. (2, 3, 5, 31).

Liberator9

@Tony

My mistake Tony - it was on the 2 wasn't it - keep thinking it was on the 6 as where the bus caught fire was where the 2 overlaps the 6 on the Stratford Road. Makes sense what you say regarding the routes - catch the 50 a fair bit and find the users on there sometimes have better manners than on some of the Solihull routes (E.g S2).

MW

Quote from: Liberator9 on May 18, 2015, 10:36:47 PM
@Tony

catch the 50 a fair bit and find the users on there sometimes have better manners than on some of the Solihull routes (E.g S2).

And I leave you and those reading with the phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover" or "Don't judge a bus by its area (served)"

I hope this debate has made people think.

Mike K

Quote from: MW on May 18, 2015, 10:44:57 PM
And I leave you and those reading with the phrase "Don't judge a book by its cover" or "Don't judge a bus by its area (served)"

I hope this debate has made people think.

Hopefully Michael over the next few months you can give us your driver's views of the delights (or otherwise) of all AG routes, including those that serve Sparkhill / Sparkbrook. And I don't disagree with you - most routes have their problems, it's the nature of the large urban area that is the West Midlands.

Liverpool Street

The Bristol Road is still full of the scourge of the earth though. Drive it for as many years as I did and you'll soon see its true colours. No, not meaning Jubilee Line branding either.

And this closes the debate.

Back to Yarlwood discussion.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Ronnoc

Some YW Enviros have lost their front logos, I've only seen 4729 and 4730 with a lost logo at the front.

Liberator9

Think 4729/4730 have had them reapplied - had them last week and pretty sure they'd had logos.

Ronnoc

Quote from: Liberator9 on May 20, 2015, 07:50:08 PM
Think 4729/4730 have had them reapplied - had them last week and pretty sure they'd had logos.
Saw 4729 today, no logo.

Stu

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on May 20, 2015, 01:40:16 PM
YW|6138|2|Seen on Stratford Road around 07:53
YW|Scania|3|Seen on Yardley Wood Road at around 08:11
YW|6144|2|Seen on Yardley Wood Road at around 08:04
YW|4729|2|Seen on Yardley Wood Road at around 08:12
Seems like Yardley Wood is having a weird allocation day.

AG|1932|5|Seen on Stratford Road at 15:23.

@ronnoc1k8 I saw 1926 this evening on the 3 in Sparkbrook, don't know if it was the same one you saw this morning.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Liberator9

Quote from: ronnoc1k8 on May 20, 2015, 08:17:32 PM
Saw 4729 today, no logo.

Ahh right - sorry @ronnoc1k8 , obviously imagining things  :)

Ronnoc

Quote from: Stu on May 20, 2015, 08:21:02 PM
@ronnoc1k8 I saw 1926 this evening on the 3 in Sparkbrook, don't know if it was the same one you saw this morning.
Yes it probably is.

@Liberator9 It is alright, it is really weird, I'll try and find out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk