News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Yardley Wood Garage

Started by Jay, June 12, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CL

Just passed a Birmingham-bound 4181 on the Aston Expressway displaying "A52 Birmingham City Centre"
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Tony

Quote from: CL on October 01, 2018, 01:35:42 PM
Just passed a Birmingham-bound 4181 on the Aston Expressway displaying "A52 Birmingham City Centre"

Probably because it was operating the A52 from BC garage

CL

Quote from: Tony on October 01, 2018, 01:38:17 PM
Probably because it was operating the A52 from BC garage
That'll make sense. I had thought the A52 was withdrawn. ???

For clarity, I'd posted here as I'm going off of the information on 4181's photo page

Tony

Quote from: CL on October 01, 2018, 01:42:41 PM
That'll make sense. I had thought the A52 was withdrawn. ???

For clarity, I'd posted here as I'm going off of the information on 4181's photo page

It's one of the  'in use reserve fleet vehicles' so will turn up where needed.

The A52 started again yesterday

CL

Quote from: Tony on October 01, 2018, 01:44:20 PM

Oh, ok. Thanks for the clarity

Quote from: Tony on October 01, 2018, 01:44:20 PM

I've seen it on the 14 a few times over the last few weeks and it's been on the X70 at least once.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

4569 (I think it was that one) was at Yardley Swan unusually yesterday morning at 07:50, presumably heading towards Coventry for its MOT.
Unusual to see a YW bus at the Swan.

Quote from: Stu on August 18, 2018, 10:05:24 AM
Was slightly amused yesterday by the sight of 4555 trundling along Yardley Wood Road on the 2, still "proud to carry the passengers of Wolverhampton"  :D
Is there any reason why this hasn't been removed yet?
They certainly seem to be in no rush to remove this of 4555 and 4556, they are still carring it today, 4556 was on the 76.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sh4318

2236's displays didn't seem to be working early, on the 6 I assume?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

Its been just over a month since I moved house and started regularly catching the 2 and 3 services to get home from work, and one thing I have found quite remarkable, especially during the evening peaks, is how these services actually seem to run on time and be fairly reliable, despite the traffic congestion.

While you tend to find the 4, 4A and 6 services regularly bunching and arriving together, give or take a couple of minutes the 2 and 3 do turn up at the advertised times at Auckland Road in Sparkbrook from city. Unless they are running 18 to 20 minutes late in which case I am not noticing!

So, a quick hats off to Yardley Wood garage, if I may!
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Stu on October 05, 2018, 09:00:26 PM
Its been just over a month since I moved house and started regularly catching the 2 and 3 services to get home from work, and one thing I have found quite remarkable, especially during the evening peaks, is how these services actually seem to run on time and be fairly reliable, despite the traffic congestion.

While you tend to find the 4, 4A and 6 services regularly bunching and arriving together, give or take a couple of minutes the 2 and 3 do turn up at the advertised times at Auckland Road in Sparkbrook from city. Unless they are running 18 to 20 minutes late in which case I am not noticing!

So, a quick hats off to Yardley Wood garage, if I may!
Is it better with both routes using Stoney Lane ?

Stu

Quote from: Steve3229vp on October 06, 2018, 11:24:49 AM
Is it better with both routes using Stoney Lane ?

I would say that passengers boarding and alighting along Stoney Lane have definitely benefitted from an increased frequency, yes. During the peaks, both the 2 and 3 are carrying good loads, and it can get a little uncomfortable when a single decker gets put on though.
My locals:

Justin Tyme

There have been times when I regularly used the 3 and its predecessors and I found it quite quick too.

The 2 and 3 are fortunate in that once off the Stratford Road they use mainly uncongested streets, with no busy shopping areas, which clearly is a big help when it comes to timekeeping.

Stu

Quote from: Justin Tyme on October 06, 2018, 04:02:30 PM
There have been times when I regularly used the 3 and its predecessors and I found it quite quick too.

The 2 and 3 are fortunate in that once off the Stratford Road they use mainly uncongested streets, with no busy shopping areas, which clearly is a big help when it comes to timekeeping.

I agree about the Stratford Road - out of city, it is time-consuming for the bus to wait for an opportunity to turn right onto Highgate Road, and likewise towards city, it can get frustrating coming from Stoney Lane onto Highgate Road and then to turn left onto Stratford Road. The left-turn traffic lights seem to stay on red for ages, and of course it doesn't help when selfish motorists block the box-junction either. Some bus priority measures at this junction wouldn't go amiss.

But then yes, barring a bit of congestion along Stoney Lane, once onto Yardley Wood Road both routes fly along with relative ease. The journey home in the evening is actually much quicker than the journey to work in the morning.

The only other pinch-point along that route that I would suggest the council look at is in Billesley, the row of shops after the Brook Lane island, there must be scope to remove some pavement and build parking bays to widen the road slightly. It gets tricky to navigate through there when there is a queue of traffic heading towards Brook Lane, as southbound traffic gets blocked by the parked cars.
My locals:

https://nxbus.co.uk/west-midlands/news/yardley-wood-bus-garages-80th-birthday-
There's a heritage circular service operating on the day - via Billesley, Yardley Wood Train Station and Maypole.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

DJ

Does anyone here from NX know if the '50% off fares when presenting a valid National Express West Midlands travel card, daysaver or mTicket.' offer would be valid if I have a student term Network pass?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk