News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Yardley Wood Garage

Started by Jay, June 12, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike K

Some of the sensationalist reporting of these types of incidents gets on my nerves. The Telegraph coverage of it says "Commuters were shaken after the roof of a double-decker bus was torn off by a bridge in Bournville, Birmingham".
The bus was empty and it was half past midnight.

Jack

Quote from: Tony on December 21, 2017, 08:52:51 AM
YW needed to lose a bus anyway now all the Scanias have been for repaint, so nothing will be replacing it there
That's suprising, considering 4391 is a trapped bus. Though it's old now, but 4234 was around 11/12 years old when it got deroofed and still got repaired.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on December 21, 2017, 04:51:40 PM
That's suprising, considering 4391 is a trapped bus. Though it's old now, but 4234 was around 11/12 years old when it got deroofed and still got repaired.

What's surprising, all I said was nothing is replacing it at YW, and what has 4234 got to do with that

Jack

Quote from: Tony on December 21, 2017, 05:38:02 PM
What's surprising, all I said was nothing is replacing it at YW, and what has 4234 got to do with that
Just thinking it would have an extended life, being trapped, it would last a lot longer than an un trapped Trident.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on December 21, 2017, 05:52:26 PM
Just thinking it would have an extended life, being trapped, it would last a lot longer than an un trapped Trident.

I haven't said it won't, all I said was YW needs one less bus, so this is the one less bus

Jack

Quote from: Tony on December 21, 2017, 06:07:02 PM
I haven't said it won't, all I said was YW needs one less bus, so this is the one less bus
Isn't that 4698, 4391 was unexpected

fleetline6477

This is unbelievable on a number of grounds.

1. That a YW driver would be unaware of such a low bridge that is on a YW operated route.

2. With such a low bridge it should be obvious on approach that a double decker would not pass under it.

3. That the driver could continue through the bridge ripping off the whole roof.

This driver is clearly not safe to be on the road as a bus driver or car driver making such a massive error of judgement. Whilst I appreciate the bus was empty he put his own life and others who may have been on the road as driver, pedestrians and rail passengers in danger.

It will be really interesting to see if the police take any action over this.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on December 21, 2017, 06:10:05 PM
Isn't that 4698, 4391 was unexpected

Just read what I put instead of forever arguing. How do you think you can manage the fleet without knowing any facts

j789

Quote from: fleetline6477 on December 21, 2017, 07:13:47 PM
This is unbelievable on a number of grounds.

1. That a YW driver would be unaware of such a low bridge that is on a YW operated route.

2. With such a low bridge it should be obvious on approach that a double decker would not pass under it.

3. That the driver could continue through the bridge ripping off the whole roof.

This driver is clearly not safe to be on the road as a bus driver or car driver making such a massive error of judgement. Whilst I appreciate the bus was empty he put his own life and others who may have been on the road as driver, pedestrians and rail passengers in danger.

It will be really interesting to see if the police take any action over this.

Whilst these are reasonable points, not all may apply. For example, the driver may have been on a different rota to the 27 so might not have been aware of the hazard of that short cut, especially if a newer driver. Also, their could be a possibility the driver was 'on loan' from another garage and didn't realise. The bus would likely be coming off a 76 from the QE to possibly take that route.
It seems like a very bad driver error missing the warning signage and yes you would think you'd stop straight away but I guess if you are in a situation like that panic probably takes over and you wouldn't react in a normal way.

Stu

Quote from: Mike K on December 21, 2017, 10:50:55 AM
Some of the sensationalist reporting of these types of incidents gets on my nerves. The Telegraph coverage of it says "Commuters were shaken after the roof of a double-decker bus was torn off by a bridge in Bournville, Birmingham".
The bus was empty and it was half past midnight.

I agree, 'fake news' indeed.  ;D

Number of commuters actually shaken by this incident: 0
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: j789 on December 21, 2017, 07:57:12 PM
Whilst these are reasonable points, not all may apply. For example, the driver may have been on a different rota to the 27 so might not have been aware of the hazard of that short cut, especially if a newer driver. Also, their could be a possibility the driver was 'on loan' from another garage and didn't realise. The bus would likely be coming off a 76 from the QE to possibly take that route.
It seems like a very bad driver error missing the warning signage and yes you would think you'd stop straight away but I guess if you are in a situation like that panic probably takes over and you wouldn't react in a normal way.

Isn't the point that things like this should never happen.

I always thought that routes between terminal points and the garage were stated on the running board?
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

filbus1

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on December 21, 2017, 09:05:26 PM
Isn't the point that things like this should never happen.

I always thought that routes between terminal points and the garage were stated on the running board?
According to Tony they were on the running board and the driver didn't use it.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: filbus1 on December 21, 2017, 09:15:44 PM
According to Tony they were on the running board and the driver didn't use it.

Not much you can say about that then!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

j789

Quote from: MW on December 21, 2017, 08:47:06 AM
I suppose you could have an open topper bus in the training fleet. Not like anyone goes upstairs anyway... :D

Maybe this could be become the first Trident single decker conversion, like that Fleetline from the 1990s.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: j789 on December 21, 2017, 09:25:21 PM
Maybe this could be become the first Trident single decker conversion, like that Fleetline from the 1990s.

Why would you need a single decker Trident?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk