News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

First Northampton

Started by sconehead85, April 26, 2013, 01:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sconehead85

This is not in the West Midlands I know, but is there any news about First's intentions here?

sconehead85

Tony

They don't seem to have any. Looks like it will be down to about 16 buses soon with the latest service withdrawals

Dylan4579

16 buses?They might as well leave.
Quote from: Tony on April 26, 2013, 06:43:59 AM
They don't seem to have any. Looks like it will be down to about 16 buses soon with the latest service withdrawals

Bob

Do you think theyll ever get rid of the potteries? ?

sconehead85

I dont know about Potteries, but on busandcoach.com by coincidence there is an article about First Northampton cutting four services, 12 buses and consequently jobs.  Stagecoach are replacing two of the routes.   First Northampton currently has only 32 buses and that would drop to 20.   Im surprised they havent sold the Luton Airport allocation of five buses to TGM.

sconehead85

D10

It makes you wonder how they can justify keeping a depot open in Northampton, the rates, utilities and ongoing maintenance must outstrip any profit they make from the few routes left.

If they are staying in the town they may as well move to a tin shed on an industrial estate and have fueling facilities there only, and have any major maintenance done at Leicester

winston

Quote from: D10 on April 27, 2013, 10:40:58 AM
It makes you wonder how they can justify keeping a depot open in Northampton, the rates, utilities and ongoing maintenance must outstrip any profit they make from the few routes left.

If they are staying in the town they may as well move to a tin shed on an industrial estate and have fueling facilities there only, and have any major maintenance done at Leicester

I think that First have scaled back the operation further to make it more attractive to a buyer, Uno have been suggested as a likely candidate on a number of occasions. Can't see First staying in Northampton as the business has no scale and will still operate elderly vehicles

Once Northampton has gone, whether that will be the end of First's disposal program remains to be seen

Ashley 4569

I read somewhere and I think theres a topic in this section that says First has sold most of its london operations to Metroline. I didnt see that coming

sconehead85

The First Northampton reductions happen this weekend.  One hopes Stagecoach employs any redundant staff, but which vehicles have gone? It must be curtains for the two Dennis Lances and two Volvo Citybuses, plus a handful of ageing Scanias.

sconehead85

winston

Quote from: sconehead85 on June 23, 2013, 12:40:36 AM
The First Northampton reductions happen this weekend.  One hopes Stagecoach employs any redundant staff, but which vehicles have gone? It must be curtains for the two Dennis Lances and two Volvo Citybuses, plus a handful of ageing Scanias.

sconehead85

From the 11th August First are withdrawing from the 4 and withdrawing the Sunday services on the two remaining route the 2 & 4A. I can't see how it will be viable for First to retain an operation in Northampton with just two routes

tank90

Quote from: Winston on June 23, 2013, 12:49:03 AM
Quote from: sconehead85 on June 23, 2013, 12:40:36 AM

sconehead85

From the 11th August First are withdrawing from the 4 and withdrawing the Sunday services on the two remaining route the 2 & 4A. I can't see how it will be viable for First to retain an operation in Northampton with just two routes
Yet they were so quick to sell off Redditch and Kidder where they had more routes and could have expanded the routes so the garages made money.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

D10

It is the remaining drivers and engineers I feel sorry for, they must have no confidence in their employment with First. Morale must be at rock bottom. :(

Cedric

diamond 8\10/125/292

winston

Quote from: bewminster on July 04, 2013, 10:22:38 PM
just seen this on another forum about FN closing
http://midlandred.net/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1372795503/s-new/#num2

I don't think that is strictly correct as yet, however Stagecoach have registered on yet another First Northampton service from 30th Sept, so its only a matter of months now, I think October is being rumoured now for complete closure of First op and Stagecoach end up with a virtual monopoly on the town other than a couple of Uno services

PF0007071/343 - UNITED COUNTIES OMNIBUS CO LTD T/A STAGECOACH MIDLANDS, UNIT 7/8, MAIN ROAD, FAR COTTON, NORTHAMPTON, NN4 8ES

Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Northampton Bus Station
Finish Point: Rectory Farm
Via:
Service Number: 2
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 30-SEP-2013
Other Details: To operate a 15 minute frequency Monday-Saturday

sconehead85

Having looked at the withdrawals on the fleet news update (20th July) I wonder what has happened to the Volvo Citybuses? Surely they've gone as well as the Dennis Lances and elderly Scania LFs.  BTW the last Dennis Lances are half-dozen in Bath.

sconehead85

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk