News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Mobico Group (formerly NX Group)

Started by winston, March 06, 2013, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

Quote from: uniquicity on March 01, 2018, 12:38:13 PM
Quoting a line from the results

"The launch of a much-improved app in March that will allow real-time tracking of buses, amongst other customer-friendly features."

Hopefully no fleet numbers etc just so we don't have stay at home spotters...

If the new app's any faster then I'll be happy. The current one works just fine but it seems really slow at times, especially at peak times.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

P419 EJW

Quote from: DJ98 on March 01, 2018, 01:03:19 PM
If the new app's any faster then I'll be happy. The current one works just fine but it seems really slow at times, especially at peak times.

I use UK Bus Checker app, best app ever!

V89MOA

Quote from: uniquicity on March 01, 2018, 12:38:13 PM
"The launch of a much-improved app in March that will allow real-time tracking of buses, amongst other customer-friendly features."

Hopefully no fleet numbers etc just so we don't have stay at home spotters...

Wouldn't hurt if Diamond can do it, it would save Tony a lot of hassle in the morning too!

Trident 4194

Quote from: V89MOA on March 01, 2018, 03:29:19 PM
Wouldn't hurt if Diamond can do it, it would save Tony a lot of hassle in the morning too!

Tony has also been unwilling to provide PVRS which can be found out through the use of bus trackers, so I doubt that nx would provide such 'delicate information'.

Tony

Quote from: Trident 4194 on March 01, 2018, 04:39:47 PM
Tony has also been unwilling to provide PVRS which can be found out through the use of bus trackers, so I doubt that nx would provide such 'delicate information'.

The test version I have got on my phone doesn't show vehicles on a map still. It does take information of all operators though, so even shows times of other operators departures.

It is still under test at the moment, so I am not sure what is still to be added and what will be changed

V89MOA

Quote from: Tony on March 01, 2018, 05:41:00 PM
It is still under test at the moment, so I am not sure what is still to be added and what will be changed
Fingers crossed then!

Quote from: Trident 4194 on March 01, 2018, 04:39:47 PM
Fleetnumbers wouldn't make a difference as you'd still see each buses individual icon on the map if the fleetnumbers were not visible so you could just count them, if someone wanted to find out a PVR this way they could just as easily stand at the road side for three hours and note down the buses! Given that a lot of services interwork anyway, especially at peaks, I think it'd be extremely difficult even using an app.

JoNi

This appeared on my smartphone
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.expressandstar.com/news/business/2018/03/06/revolutionary-transport-app-set-to-go-live-in-west-midlands-next-month/&ved=0ahUKEwjg2aXkh9jZAhXEJVAKHZtNBioQxfQBCCEwAA&usg=AOvVaw17elc1Kz5OyfaoQHTrZbBO

Lets face it working PVRs out isn't that difficult where routes are their own cost centres, full timetables available on Traveline for frequent services and the odd minute given as layover.

Straightlines

Quote from: JoNi on March 06, 2018, 04:04:20 PM
This appeared on my smartphone
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.expressandstar.com/news/business/2018/03/06/revolutionary-transport-app-set-to-go-live-in-west-midlands-next-month/&ved=0ahUKEwjg2aXkh9jZAhXEJVAKHZtNBioQxfQBCCEwAA&usg=AOvVaw17elc1Kz5OyfaoQHTrZbBO

Lets face it working PVRs out isn't that difficult where routes are their own cost centres, full timetables available on Traveline for frequent services and the odd minute given as layover.

Excuse the pun but sadly the app appears to be 'on a Whim' and not the 'revolution' made out to be...

winston

Tony

winston

NX Half year results: "National Express has had another strong start to the year, delivering its best ever half year statutory profit, up 24% year-on-year. Our increasingly diversified portfolio has again delivered strong results and has entered a new phase of expansion in to complementary growth markets:

https://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/newsmedia/corporate-news/2018/half-year-results-for-the-period-ended-30-june-2018/

UK: grew by 21.5% to £31.6 million, boosted by £3.4 million of property disposals; underlying profit growth was 8.5%. (disposal - Sipson Road Depot?)

Targeted expansion through strategic acquisition and new market entries:

We have made 7 acquisitions in the period: 3 in ALSA and 4 in North America, consolidating our presence in existing core markets and expanding in to growth segments.
In July we won a significant 500 bus contract in Rabat, Morocco. We are now the largest public transport operator in Morocco.
Our new Geneva, Switzerland operations have grown very strongly, with our first acquisition – AlpyBus – growing revenue by 26.3% and profit by 33% in the first half. New summer tourist services have been launched.
Significant expansion in US charter and UK employee shuttle services, with new opportunities secured in the rapidly-growing Spanish cruise ship and urban minicab markets.
A new on-demand bus service due to start shortly in the West Midlands.

BK63 YWP

A few minibuses on the way?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

winston

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on July 26, 2018, 01:12:41 PM
A few minibuses on the way?

It seems that way, a number of bus companies seem to be heading the demand responsive way with Sprinters to stimulate growth

metrocity

Quote from: Winston on July 26, 2018, 01:29:33 PM
It seems that way, a number of bus companies seem to be heading the demand responsive way with Sprinters to stimulate growth
Its the latest trend I guess but surely they can never be commercially viable?

Interesting the majority of NX's success involves operations outside of the UK - they have got the right idea.

winston

Quote from: metrocity on July 27, 2018, 08:42:18 AM
Its the latest trend I guess but surely they can never be commercially viable?

Interesting the majority of NX's success involves operations outside of the UK - they have got the right idea.

I'd have thought that they must have the potential to be commercially viable to warrant the number of operators jumping on the band wagon. I assume they'll either compete with taxi's or have a set route or such like.

NX Group UK ops only account for a third of group revenue/turnover, they seem to have diversified their business well & there's clearly richer pickings abroad. Thus they are now continually beating profit expectations, hopefully it will continue as the grow carefully.

Edit:

@metrocity - There's a Premium Times article Interview with Dean Finch below (haven't seen it all myself), but a round-up posted on Railway Forums (post #8258) suggests that NX Group are interested in bidding for some of First UK Bus: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/firstgroup-improvement-shares-and-survival.65668/page-276#post-3566825/

Extract from article:

Asked whether he had any interest in the likely break-up of First Group, Mr Finch said he was under a "prohibition notice" from his board for such a deal. He said National Express might be interested in some of First's UK bus operations but not the whole business.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/profits-go-up-a-gear-at-national-express-jbngwwscf

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk