News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Yardley Wood Garage

Started by Jay, June 12, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: Ronnoc on April 25, 2023, 04:14:02 PMCheers for the link, didn't realise how convoluted the 69 really was.
Neither did I at the time! I remember being with my brother in Solihull one afternoon, then he wanted to go meet some friends in Moseley - I suggested getting a bus to Kings Heath then hop on the 50 up to Moseley village, and it was the 69 that came first so we got that. I wasn't familiar with that part of south Birmingham at the time, in hindsight we'd have been better off getting the 50 from Maypole! :shocked:
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Mike K

Quote from: Ronnoc on April 25, 2023, 04:14:02 PMCheers for the link, didn't realise how convoluted the 69 really was.
Like a lot of routes, it was convoluted as it came about through stitching together of 2 or more to create one very long one. The Weoley Castle to Kings Heath section was previously the 2, and the Kings Heath to Yardley Yew Tree part replaced the already long 164 route if I recall correctly. That part was later extended from Yew Tree to Heartlands, before the Solihull to Heartlands part was split off and renumbered the 169 (later the 73).

SO6597

Quote from: Mike K on April 25, 2023, 05:10:37 PMLike a lot of routes, it was convoluted as it came about through stitching together of 2 or more to create one very long one. The Weoley Castle to Kings Heath section was previously the 2, and the Kings Heath to Yardley Yew Tree part replaced the already long 164 route if I recall correctly. That part was later extended from Yew Tree to Heartlands, before the Solihull to Heartlands part was split off and renumbered the 169 (later the 73).
And in September 1993 it had an additional section of route stitched on from Weoley Castle to Frankley where it interworked with the 49 at Holly Hill (it was cut back to Northfield a couple of months later before reverting back to Weoley Castle as before). A truly mammoth route.

A few platinums were running up and down James Watt Queensway this morning displaying private hire. One of them 7534.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on April 28, 2023, 10:41:23 AMA few platinums were running up and down James Watt Queensway this morning displaying private hire. One of them 7534.
Shuttle buses for the Rugby

monkeyjoe

Are these the ones I saw parked up on the Lichfield Rd by east foods yesterday too 

MasterPlan

Wonder whether the 76 will be curtailed back to the QE at some point like the 48 was. The reliability is poor at times.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Stu

Quote from: MasterPlan on July 29, 2023, 03:42:01 PMWonder whether the 76 will be curtailed back to the QE at some point like the 48 was. The reliability is poor at times.
I think it will be, and the reduction to 30min frequency on Saturday might be the first step.

I've suggested before to curtail both the 27 (at Northfield) and 76 (at QE/Harborne), then combine those ends of the route into a new one, Cofton Hackett/Longbridge to QE/Harborne, via Northfield.

That route could stay half-hourly, with the 76 going back to 20mins. Just an idea of course.

The reliability is only poor because of traffic congestion. Seems to be particularly bad through Shirley at the moment.
My locals:

TGZac

Quote from: Stu on July 29, 2023, 04:12:51 PMI've suggested before to curtail both the 27 (at Northfield) and 76 (at QE/Harborne), then combine those ends of the route into a new one, Cofton Hackett/Longbridge to QE/Harborne, via Northfield.
Isn't that the 20A?

Stu

Quote from: Zaccy_Dee on July 29, 2023, 04:21:31 PMIsn't that the 20A?
No, I was talking about combining the Cofton Hackett to Northfield part of the 27, and the Northfield to QE part of the 76.

20A is a completely seperate route running direct along Bristol Road.
My locals:

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Stu on July 29, 2023, 04:24:08 PMNo, I was talking about combining the Cofton Hackett to Northfield part of the 27, and the Northfield to QE part of the 76.

20A is a completely seperate route running direct along Bristol Road.
I thought the same thing, the new route could be 29 QE Hospital - Harborne - California -  Weoley Castle - Northfield - Frankley - Rubery - Longbridge - Cofton Hackett

Stu

Quote from: Steve3229vp on July 29, 2023, 05:34:27 PMI thought the same thing, the new route could be 29 QE Hospital - Weoley Castle - Northfield - Frankley - Rubery - Longbridge - Cofton Hackett
I was thinking 26 myself, using existing route numbering logic, ie if you're merging bits of the 27 and 76 together, plus it (sort of) fits with other Harborne services. 
Other option would be 42/43/44, then would fit with other QEH services perhaps?
My locals:

mesub

Quote from: Steve3229vp on July 29, 2023, 05:34:27 PMI thought the same thing, the new route could be 29 QE Hospital - Weoley Castle - Northfield - Frankley - Rubery - Longbridge - Cofton Hackett

It should serve Harborne & California as well, so that the (decently used) link to Northfield is kept.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

MasterPlan

Quote from: Stu on July 29, 2023, 04:12:51 PMI think it will be, and the reduction to 30min frequency on Saturday might be the first step.

I've suggested before to curtail both the 27 (at Northfield) and 76 (at QE/Harborne), then combine those ends of the route into a new one, Cofton Hackett/Longbridge to QE/Harborne, via Northfield.

That route could stay half-hourly, with the 76 going back to 20mins. Just an idea of course.

The reliability is only poor because of traffic congestion. Seems to be particularly bad through Shirley at the moment.

To be honest I'd just reroute every other 23 (and renumber it 23A or 25) which would go from California up to Northfield via the current 76 route.

But yes, you could probably curtail the 27 at Northfield too.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: MasterPlan on July 30, 2023, 11:45:37 AMTo be honest I'd just reroute every other 23 (and renumber it 23A or 25) which would go from California up to Northfield via the current 76 route.

But yes, you could probably curtail the 27 at Northfield too.
Are you joking, that would reduce buses to Woodgate Valley to no more than every 20 mins !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk