News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Yardley Wood Garage

Started by Jay, June 12, 2013, 04:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: Steve3229vp on January 27, 2023, 07:43:25 PMI'd call it 29
I get where you and others are coming from, but I deliberately didn't choose that one! :laugh:

Quote from: SO6597 on January 27, 2023, 07:48:52 PMJust before a Christmas, a 27 timetable appeared on the TfWM site very fleetingly that showed evening journeys ending at 8ish and stated 'No Sunday Service' so the theory of NXWM keeping it going temporarily could be right.
Yes, originally these services were reregistered without the tendered journeys on 17th November:
https://bustimes.org/registrations/PD0001111/534
https://bustimes.org/registrations/PD0001111/565

Subsequently, these services were then reregistered on 8th December, which will be why the revised timetables (which I did see myself on the TfWM website) were then pulled down.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BBS

QuoteI get where you and others are coming from, but I deliberately didn't choose that one! :laugh:
Yes, originally these services were reregistered without the tendered journeys on 17th November:
https://bustimes.org/registrations/PD0001111/534
https://bustimes.org/registrations/PD0001111/565

Subsequently, these services were then reregistered on 8th December, which will be why the revised timetables (which I did see myself on the TfWM website) were then pulled down.
Most likely stagecoach taking these 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

winston

Quote from: BBS on January 27, 2023, 11:34:18 PMMost likely stagecoach taking these
You think ?? with their performance so far....

Mike K

Quote from: Steve3229vp on January 27, 2023, 07:43:25 PMI'd call it 29
And cut out the Northfield to Longbridge part, and instead of serving the QE, from Harborne route it to the city centre. The old 29, a popular and well used service, has never been satisfactorily replaced.

BBS

QuoteYou think ?? with their performance so far....
They have been extremely lacking, but i don't think they would miss a opportunity like that 
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Mike K on January 27, 2023, 11:59:06 PMAnd cut out the Northfield to Longbridge part, and instead of serving the QE, from Harborne route it to the city centre. The old 29, a popular and well used service, has never been satisfactorily replaced.
No, the 29 took too long, so I would sooner have a 25 running direct to California (via 23 route), then to Barnes Hill, Weoley Castle and Northfield. Going via Harborne Park Road and Quinton takes too long.

Quote from: Mike K on January 27, 2023, 11:59:06 PMAnd cut out the Northfield to Longbridge part, and instead of serving the QE, from Harborne route it to the city centre. The old 29, a popular and well used service, has never been satisfactorily replaced.
Thing is which journey oppurtunities that were possible then do you feel aren't possible  now. The Quinton Road has the X22 to Birmingham and now has a direct service to the QE Hosp, large parts of Weoley Caslte have the X21 to Birmingham. the 76 still runs along the full route from Harborne to Northfield.
And even if you want to go to Broad Street or somewhere else you can change onto the regular 23/24 at Harborne which were increased in frequency to replace the 29.
Another reason perhaps for curtailing the service at Harborne originally may have been so it doesn't get caught in the City Centre congestion.

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Mike K

Quote from: 2206 on January 28, 2023, 10:17:29 AMThing is which journey oppurtunities that were possible then do you feel aren't possible  now. The Quinton Road has the X22 to Birmingham, large parts of Weoley Caslte have the X21 to Birmingham. the 76 still runs along the full route from Harborne to Northfield.
And even if you want to go to Broad Street or somewhere else you can change onto the regular 23/24 at Harborne which were increased in frequency to replace the 29.
Another reason perhaps for curtailing the service at Harborne originally may have been so it doesn't get caught in the City Centre congestion.

Mainly parts of Northfield and Weoley Castle losing a direct service to the city centre - Bell Hill / parts of Shenley Lane, Alwold Road and the Barnes Hill area of Weoley Castle. Quite a long walk to alternative services for those less mobile. Changing buses to get to say Broad St etc isn't ideal for attracting passengers to use the bus.

I understand the reasons for simplifying routes through Harborne, and the 23/24 generally work quite well. Just feels like the Harborne to Northfield part of the 29 gets bolted on to random convoluted routes just to provide a service along those roads, providing links to all manner of obscure places. But a a sizeable chunk of passengers use the bus to get to the city centre area, and the commercial zones around it.

MasterPlan

I think this has gotten way off-topic for YW garage! But Mike is right, the 29 has not been replaced properly and the 76 is nowhere near as well-used by passengers in the area.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Quote from: Mike K on January 28, 2023, 11:00:19 AMMainly parts of Northfield and Weoley Castle losing a direct service to the city centre - Bell Hill / parts of Shenley Lane, Alwold Road and the Barnes Hill area of Weoley Castle. Quite a long walk to alternative services for those less mobile. Changing buses to get to say Broad St etc isn't ideal for attracting passengers to use the bus.

I understand the reasons for simplifying routes through Harborne, and the 23/24 generally work quite well. Just feels like the Harborne to Northfield part of the 29 gets bolted on to random convoluted routes just to provide a service along those roads, providing links to all manner of obscure places. But a a sizeable chunk of passengers use the bus to get to the city centre area, and the commercial zones around it.

The 29 being bolted onto the 76 probably helps with the driver reliefs to I would think. So they can have them at Haunch Lane near the depot. Whereas if it ran as a standalone Northfield - Harborne service they wouldn't be able to do that.

With Broad Street particularly some passengers get the X21/X22 to Granville Street and walk down there which should be 10 minutes max walk.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Bethhart2022

How long is E021 at Yardley wood garage for

Stu

Quote from: Stu on January 25, 2023, 07:26:25 PMAnother nightmare journey home this evening - looks to me like there were two missing journeys on the 3, which meant that the single-decks on the 2 were totally rammed coming out of city.

I ended up getting off at Brunswick Road, as the driver allowed someone with a buggy on, despite the bus having a full standing load. Walked up to Esme Road, and waited twenty minutes for another 2, which was also full, though a few passengers do normally get off there, so at least I could get on and there were some seats then available.

I get the whole driver shortages thing, and I also appreciate that YW has far more single-decks than they actually 'need', but these Scanias are completely unsuited to the 2 and 3 routes during the busy peak-times, when passenger loadings are at their highest. You can just about get away with them if the scheduled journeys run on time (or close enough), but it becomes a huge problem when journeys are missed out due to driver unavailability.
More missing journeys, this time on the 2 this evening; the 2 due at 18:32 from Auckland Road didn't show up, and I could see the next 3 on BusTimes was going to be a single-deck, so I used my better judgement and got on the 5 instead. (A half-empty 6702)

It turned out to be a very good call, I got off the 5 at Wake Green Road and walked round the corner to get the 3, which then duly arrived a couple of minutes later, and was still packed even at this point.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Watch out for a second 4798 from Next week! Wrights Electroliner demonstrator LY71 GJE will be back, due to arrive at YW tomorrow this time it will carry fleetnumber 4798 and be used in normal service on the 6. It will take a few days to fit ticket machines and other NX essential kit along with driver type training so don't go looking for it on the Stratford Road for a few days

BNH2004

Quote from: Tony on February 03, 2023, 06:25:18 PMWatch out for a second 4798 from Next week! Wrights Electroliner demonstrator LY71 GJE will be back, due to arrive at YW tomorrow this time it will carry fleetnumber 4798 and be used in normal service on the 6. It will take a few days to fit ticket machines and other NX essential kit along with driver type training so don't go looking for it on the Stratford Road for a few days
How long should it be with NX for?

Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk