News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Hydrogen vehicles

Started by Tony, April 30, 2021, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Getting back on topic...

Quote from: Tony on July 01, 2021, 06:28:00 PM
Not for a few months yet until there is somewhere to fuel them

The original press release said they would be refuelled at the new facility in Tyseley, I presume this is no longer the case then?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on July 04, 2021, 05:19:49 PM
Getting back on topic...

The original press release said they would be refuelled at the new facility in Tyseley, I presume this is no longer the case then?

Fuelling facilities are being installed at Walsall garage as well as Tyseley, but Tyseley isn't ready yet either

Pat

Quote from: Tony on July 04, 2021, 06:00:58 PM
Fuelling facilities are being installed at Walsall garage as well as Tyseley, but Tyseley isn't ready yet either
So all vehicles will be based at WA, and use both the Walsall and Tyseley facilities then?

cardew

The launch certainly seems to have slipped from the council's initial talk of Spring 2021. I wonder if the semiconductor shortage could also impact new deliveries of electric buses for Coventry as well? Plenty of ageing vehicles to be kept on the road for a while yet I suspect. All of out of NX's hands and no criticism implied.

Tony

BBS

Does anyone know when the small heath highway roadworks finish for sprint. They have been here for how long now?
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Jack

Quote from: bbs on July 05, 2021, 11:33:08 PM
Does anyone know when the small heath highway roadworks finish for sprint. They have been here for how long now?
They only started in March... not that long ago...

karl724223

Quote from: bbs on July 05, 2021, 11:33:08 PM
making sure the road is flat so the batteries are ok

Solo1

What happens if they need to be repaired  will  Walsall have a outdoor bay for the hydrogen buses or how will it work

Stu

Quote from: Solo1 on July 18, 2021, 01:29:52 PM
What happens if they need to be repaired  will  Walsall have a outdoor bay for the hydrogen buses or how will it work

Tony will be able to confirm this, it was previously stated that the fuel tanks can be emptied, so this strategy could be employed if a vehicle needs attention at an indoor repair bay.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on July 18, 2021, 01:46:48 PM
Tony will be able to confirm this, it was previously stated that the fuel tanks can be emptied, so this strategy could be employed if a vehicle needs attention at an indoor repair bay.

Look at the back offside and you will see the vent for releasing any Hydrogen in them.

Kevin

Quote from: Tony on July 18, 2021, 02:06:46 PM
Look at the back offside and you will see the vent for releasing any Hydrogen in them.

Hold up. Vent? As in this scenario would mean all the fuel (yeah it's Hydrogen not petrol etc) just gets released into the air? Is that not ridiculously wasteful?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Wumpty

Quote from: Kevin on July 20, 2021, 08:14:35 AM
Hold up. Vent? As in this scenario would mean all the fuel (yeah it's Hydrogen not petrol etc) just gets released into the air? Is that not ridiculously wasteful?

As an exception rather than a rule, probably not. I believe hydrogen is £10/kg - the buses hold c. 27kg (1120 litres @ 350 Bar) so £270 for a tank (NXWM may receive preferential fuel rates). I wouldn't expect many of the fleet requiring discharge soon after fueling but do get your point.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

D10

Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk