News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Hydrogen vehicles

Started by Tony, April 30, 2021, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: BK63 YWP on October 31, 2021, 11:09:38 AM
Looks like the single decker hydrogen version has been revealed

It's called the GB Kite
Also available in electric

https://wrightbus.com/en-gb/gb-kite-hydroliner-fcev

Quote from: Steve3229vp on October 31, 2021, 11:29:39 AM
I like it, but no more single deckers yet please, NX has more than enough of them

Not expected to begin production until next year, so no danger of any arriving soon!  ;D
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stu

Quote from: Gareth on October 31, 2021, 10:02:20 AM
Do you need tax on zero emission vehicles? I thought not. Are buses different?

Quote from: Mike K on October 31, 2021, 11:33:42 AM
No idea what the rules are. I just checked the number plate of one of them on the vehicle tax checker (www.gov.uk) website and it said it was taxed until August 2022.

I had a look myself through the GOV.UK website, as far as I can see, zero emission cars and light vans pay no tax, however they still need to be 'taxed'.

Buses and HGVs pay different rates of vehicle tax, but I didn't see anything different for such vehicles that are zero emission.
My locals:

Abluhwleh

I like it, but no more single deckers yet please, NX has more than enough of them

Surely by the time they start being made, the Omnilinks will start disappearing...

Quote from: Abluhwleh on October 31, 2021, 11:49:34 AM
Surely by the time they start being made, the Omnilinks will start disappearing...
When they do start to go some of the Omnilinks could possibly be replaced by Double Decks to maybe.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

ellspurs

Quote from: 2206 on October 31, 2021, 11:51:59 AM
When they do start to go some of the Omnilinks could possibly be replaced by Double Decks to maybe.

And when it does come the time, just have enough single deckers in that are needed for the routes that can only be single deck. It isn't practical to change all the routes to bypass the low bridges.

Trident 4194

Quote from: 2206 on October 31, 2021, 11:51:59 AM

I didn't realise some omnilinks are 14 years old. Considering they withdrew the Volvos which are only 1 year older it wouldn't surprise me if they started withdrawing the early ones in a year or so

MW

Quote from: Trident 4194 on October 31, 2021, 12:35:05 PM
I didn't realise some omnilinks are 14 years old. Considering they withdrew the Volvos which are only 1 year older it wouldn't surprise me if they started withdrawing the early ones in a year or so

Omnilinks are all Euro 6 as oppose to the Euro 3 B7RLEs, unless I'm mistaken?

Jack

Quote from: MW on October 31, 2021, 12:43:25 PM
Omnilinks are all Euro 6 as oppose to the Euro 3 B7RLEs, unless I'm mistaken?
Correct, plus the older ones are still being repainted into Crimson so can't see them off anywhere yet.

cardew

Also there must be around 200 older non euro 6 deckers, excluding Coventry, which you would assume have priority as the areas they can be used in are limited.

Stu

I don't want to further drag this thread off-topic, as this is about hydrogen buses.

But I would also assume that NX Bus will be keeping an eye on how Diamond get on with their electric motor 'retrofits'.

Depending on the cost, and the condition of the rest of the vehicle, some of these older single and double deck vehicles could yet get a 'new lease of life' and many more years out of them.

In particular the OmniLinks, certainly the later examples (1909 onwards) found at YW and WB with the grey interior don't give the impression of being over 11 years old, compared to the earlier ones with the blue interior.

The hydrogen technology is in a relative 'infancy', compared to the more established electric tech, so it remains to be seen whether there is any future possibility of such hydrogen retrofits becoming viable.

I believe it's been pointed out that while NX Bus 'aims' to have a zero-emission fleet by 2030, this is not going to be achieved just by buying new vehicles.

I did wonder what future the 'second-hand' bus market had, as the demand for used diesel vehicles is going to start 'dying off'. I guess if these 'retrofits' prove to be successful and cost-effective, the used bus market becomes one where buyers look for bodies/chassis in good enough condition to justify the cost of a retro-fit.
My locals:

BBS

NX needs them so that the non double decker routes can have something that dont pollute. a great example would be perry barrs 8A/8C or AG's 4/4A
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on October 31, 2021, 10:02:20 AM
Do you need tax on zero emission vehicles? I thought not. Are buses different?

You still have to tax them as such, but the cost is zero

Tony

H1015 arrived today making it 16 now here (2@PB, 6@BC, 8@WA). 17th due Thursday

Tony

windy miller

Quote from: Tony on October 31, 2021, 06:53:51 PM
You still have to tax them as such, but the cost is zero.
many low powered cars with clean emmissions are free from tax these days..
I bought a 1200cc Ford Fiesta Ecoboost on a 17 plate   back in August. I had no idea there was no road tax actually payable  ...a pleasant surprise!
   I got a good deal from my local Ford dealer having been offered
over £1700 for a 10 yr old PX with only 42K  on both cars.. Its avge is 43mpg     
mixed urban and 48+ on distance  @65mph   The only
  'irritation' I have found is the fuel filler tube has a sharp bend...
    ..the pump has to be in contact with the filler tube at exactly the correct angle and you need to be patient otherwise the pump will throw fuel back at you...or on the deck.. otherwise a very nice comfortable little motor very pleased so far.
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk