News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Sprint

Started by bususer28, January 27, 2021, 06:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bususer28

I'm not sure where to put this so I started a new topic but NXWM seem to have won the contract for operating sprint with articulated vehicles introduced in 2023. https://www.tfwm.org.uk/news/national-express-to-run-zero-emission-sprint-bus-services/

Stu

Quote from: bususer28 on January 27, 2021, 06:50:06 PM
I'm not sure where to put this so I started a new topic but NXWM seem to have won the contract for operating sprint with articulated vehicles introduced in 2023. https://www.tfwm.org.uk/news/national-express-to-run-zero-emission-sprint-bus-services/

I don't think there was any doubt that NX Bus would end up operating the Sprint services to be honest, it was a bit of a formality.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Isle of Stroma

That was so crass, it should have the Eastenders* theme at the beginning & the end...

* Or Crossroads, more apt & of the same substantiality

Busboy105

Quote from: bususer28 on January 27, 2021, 06:50:06 PM
So it's gonna use both the hydrogen and the tram-buses?

Stu

Quote from: Busboy105 on January 27, 2021, 08:27:21 PM
So it's gonna use both the hydrogen and the tram-buses?

If you read the article, it is explained there.

QuoteThe new services will first launch in May 2022 with a fleet of zero-emission double decker Platinum buses, which will be able to beat traffic jams and offer reliable journey times by using dedicated bus lanes and priority measures at junctions along the routes which will cross Birmingham and join Walsall and Solihull for the first time.

This new fleet will include 20 environmentally friendly hydrogen-fuelled buses funded by Birmingham City Council.

The bus company is also working with Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) as the transport authority, to confirm plans to introduce the first of a further fleet of high quality zero emission, low floor tram-style vehicles on the route during 2023. These tram-style buses have proved popular with customers on similar rapid transit services across Europe and the UK.
My locals:

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Stu on January 27, 2021, 06:58:50 PM
I don't think there was any doubt that NX Bus would end up operating the Sprint services to be honest, it was a bit of a formality.

I agree - it's the obvious choice.

I am glad to see timescales being announced now (if only tramway openings could be announced in advance ...) and it will be very interesting to see "tram-style vehicles" operate alongside the double decks in 2023.

cardew

I do wonder if these "confirming plans" may involve gentle persuasion that with increasing costs with buying/importing from Europe and vehicles likely to have more people standing in close proximity (probably crowding by the doors) these may not be the most sensible option? Time will tell.

Straightlines

I'm not sure why anyone on here thinks NXWM operating Sprint should be a 'formality'. I would hope that powers under the Bus Service Act 2017 have ensured a full process has been undertaken to determine the successful operator?

metrocity

Quote from: Stu on January 27, 2021, 06:58:50 PM
NX just need to find a brand new depot now that is designed for these tram style vehicles ;D

ellspurs

Quote from: metrocity on January 28, 2021, 10:29:43 AM
NX just need to find a brand new depot now that is designed for these tram style vehicles ;D

The provisions were shown in the plans for the new Perry Barr garage.

metrocity

Quote from: ellspurs on January 28, 2021, 04:00:23 PM
The provisions were shown in the plans for the new Perry Barr garage.
Yes - my comment was tongue in cheek. Interesting use of state aid.

Stu

Quote from: Straightlines on January 28, 2021, 09:23:28 AM
I'm not sure why anyone on here thinks NXWM operating Sprint should be a 'formality'. I would hope that powers under the Bus Service Act 2017 have ensured a full process has been undertaken to determine the successful operator?

I only said it was a 'formality' as it would have been highly unusual if some other company had won this contract.

The contract did go out to tender, but I remember reading some time ago that the WMCA had changed their minds about purchasing vehicles, and had also stated that the Sprint services would use 'zero-emission' vehicles which the operator would have to provide.

At that point, I couldn't see The Green Bus, Claribels or Thandi Coaches successfully becoming the new Sprint operator.  ::)

Some other 'big national' operator like First or Stagecoach might have stood a chance, no idea if they bid or not.

But really, it was only ever going to be NX Bus who ended up operating the Sprint services.

Quote from: cardew on January 28, 2021, 08:49:18 AM
I do wonder if these "confirming plans" may involve gentle persuasion that with increasing costs with buying/importing from Europe and vehicles likely to have more people standing in close proximity (probably crowding by the doors) these may not be the most sensible option? Time will tell.

It does seem a bit strange, why not start with the 'bendi-buses' (sorry, "tram-like buses") from day one?

It does seem that there may be some 'rolling back' or down-scaling of plans, and this new Sprint service will end up just being a Platinum-operated 'cross-city service', like the oft-rumoured Dudley/Bearwood to Maypole services, albeit with improved road infrastructure.

This Sprint service between Walsall and Airport/Solihull was meant to be in place to shuttle visitors to the Commonwealth Games in 2022, well if this pandemic and its associated restrictions remain in place until next year, its not going to be carrying many passengers if the stadia/arenas are bereft of spectators.
My locals:

Stevo

So will these fuell cell Platinums be H001-020? I thought they'd be in service this year, not well into 2022.

Tony

Quote from: Stevo on January 28, 2021, 07:07:09 PM
So will these fuell cell Platinums be H001-020? I thought they'd be in service this year, not well into 2022.

They will be in service this year (as long as BCC complete the fuelling infrastructure) the buses are already in build, They will not be H001-20. NX's radio system does not cope with letters, so no two vehicles can have the same number without letters eg 001

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk