News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

New cross-city bus services

Started by 2900, February 28, 2020, 12:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumour mill in full swing at west brom 50 and 82/87 to be merged to create a cross city service.
I seriously hope not, 50/82 to be operated by yardley wood and 50/87 westbrom.
There was an article in the Birmingham Mail back in January that the 50 82/87 corridors will have 28 million pounds spent on bus priority measures so that has got me thinking it's plausible.
History tells you cross city routes ultimately fail.

B.C Driver

Quote from: 2900 on February 28, 2020, 12:29:18 PM
Rumour mill in full swing at west brom 50 and 82/87 to be merged to create a cross city service.
There was an article in the Birmingham Mail back in January that the 50 82/87 corridors will have 28 million pounds spent on bus priority measures so that has got me thinking it's plausible.

I really can't see that happening. The rumours at BC which are more believable is that the X1 and X2 will go to AG and X12 to BC. Also BY to be used as a Ring & Ride depot with BY routes split between BC and PB. IF true would mean the 55 could use double deckers after many years.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

gc802002

Quote from: B.C Driver on February 28, 2020, 12:40:29 PM
I really can't see that happening. The rumours at BC which are more believable is that the X1 and X2 will go to AG and X12 to BC. Also BY to be used as a Ring & Ride depot with BY routes split between BC and PB. IF true would mean the 55 could use double deckers after many years.

I like the idea of the X1/X2/X12 Swap....

PB will have more capability to handle extra work when the new depot opens too I guess...

imagine that, Road works in Moseley would mean no service for Dudley Road or Vice-Versa. Reliability would be out the window for all three services. Dudley is already a nightmare with Metro works.

Busboy105

Where did you get this from?
Also which out of 82 or 87 will be merged with the 50? I'm assuming the 82 because Dudley would be too far.

Pat

Why do they want to do this?  Absolutely ridiculous idea and will cause reliability issues left right and centre.  Typical of NX, change things just for the sake of it.  And anyway, is it going to really benefit anyone?

MW

If they set up proper infrastructure it's possible to merge the 50/82/87. Proper infrastructure meaning the vast majority of the route being bus lane. Unfortunately I can't see it possible to add a bus lane to say Kings Heath High Street!

Tony

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on February 28, 2020, 05:30:38 PM
And anyway, is it going to really benefit anyone?

So no-one on the 50 wants to go anywhere in the city other than the markets area?
So no-one on the Dudley Road wants to go to Digbeth Coach Station?

Mike K

Quote from: NXWMFAN1105 on February 28, 2020, 05:30:38 PM
Why do they want to do this?  Absolutely ridiculous idea and will cause reliability issues left right and centre.  Typical of NX, change things just for the sake of it.  And anyway, is it going to really benefit anyone?

Cross city services, in principle, are a good idea. In this example giving City Hospital much improved links to some of the busiest parts of South Birmingham, and linking the regenerated East Side with much more of the city centre and West Birmingham are a couple of other new links that would be beneficial.

The challenge as always with these, and the nail in the coffin for cross city routes in the past, is how to maintain reliability. The end to end routes would be massive, and presumably a huge challenge to manage effectively in practice.

Quote from: Mike K on February 28, 2020, 06:20:35 PM
Cross city services, in principle, are a good idea. In this example giving City Hospital much improved links to some of the busiest parts of South Birmingham
Surely its quite easy to get off the 50, cross the road at Moor Street and then take the 87.
Nothing wrong with how it is at the minute.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on February 28, 2020, 06:32:42 PM
Surely its quite easy to get off the 50, cross the road at Moor Street and then take the 87.
Nothing wrong with how it is at the minute.

OK for you who knows buses
There's an awful lot of people put off public transport if they have to change

Quote from: Tony on February 28, 2020, 06:34:16 PM
OK for you who knows buses
There's an awful lot of people put off public transport if they have to change
Well I see lots of people changing buses at Priory Queensway, so surely lots must not mind it as well. 
If that's the case might as well link every single route, that serves the City Centre then then everyone can have direct buses.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Tony

Quote from: 2206 on February 28, 2020, 06:39:56 PM
Well I see lots of people changing buses at Priory Queensway, so surely lots must not mind it as well. 
If that's the case might as well link every single route, that serves the City Centre then then everyone can have direct buses.

You really can be obnoxious.
Yes lots of people change buses. They are already bus passengers. The hardest part of running a bus company is attracting those who don't.

Quote from: Tony on February 28, 2020, 06:43:37 PM
You really can be obnoxious.
No, I was just wandering why NX would think passengers on the 50 are unable to change buses, unlike other passengers on other routes in Birmingham.
And was only giving my opinion.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

winston

Quote from: B.C Driver on February 28, 2020, 12:40:29 PM

The only problem with that theory is PB will need to re-locate in approx 12 months & BC has been sold for re-development of East Side, entire allocation needs a new home - not sure on timescales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk