News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Dudley Network Review

Started by sonic84, September 29, 2017, 07:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PinkBus

Quote from: Trident 4194 on August 05, 2018, 08:01:00 PM
I still have no clue what the difference between the 48 and 48A

The 48 is the full route to Northfield, the 48A follows the 48 to Hurst Road Community Centre, then turns right up Salop Road, left at the top of the road onto the 128 route, then follows that route into Bearwood, turning right onto Bearwood Road at the Bear Tavern and carrying on to the bus station. Would've been a good route for me when I lived in Bearwood to get to school and college.
Just sitting here
Watching the Outer Circle buses
Go round and round...

Sh4318

Quote from: PinkBus on August 06, 2018, 02:31:44 PM
You obviously can, I can but there will be a lot of people who can't for various reasons. There's a good saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", which I think applies to these services.

They were always going to change. It would make no sense to keep the 1xx series of numbers when all of the others (2xx-5xx) have gone... that being said, I may be contradicting myself if the 126 is not going to be renumbered

Quote from: PinkBus on August 06, 2018, 02:39:23 PM
The 48 is the full route to Northfield, the 48A follows the 48 to Hurst Road Community Centre, then turns right up Salop Road, left at the top of the road onto the 128 route, then follows that route into Bearwood, turning right onto Bearwood Road at the Bear Tavern and carrying on to the bus station. Would've been a good route for me when I lived in Bearwood to get to school and college.

It could, and in my opinion, should be put to better use, the Abbey Road doesn't need 8 buses an hour, roads like Norman Road, Thimblemill Road and Alexander Road are roads that the 50A/C served, that the 48A doesn't
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Simon Dunn

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on August 05, 2018, 10:38:23 AM
255 will be the 15
256 will be the 16
257 will be the 17
243 will be the 18
244 will be the 19

Who knows what will happen for Diamonds 2** routes. @Simon Dunn are these numbers changing also?

Not so far as I am aware

PinkBus

Quote from: Sh4318 on August 06, 2018, 03:21:15 PM

It could, and in my opinion, should be put to better use, the Abbey Road doesn't need 8 buses an hour, roads like Norman Road, Thimblemill Road and Alexander Road are roads that the 50A/C served, that the 48A doesn't

Now that I agree with, in fact put single deckers on the 48A, have it turn left at the island at the top of Manor Road, then have it follow the old (and much missed imo) 444 route, Hales Lane, Thimblemill Road, William Road, Harold Road, The Oval and Broadmoor Avenue, giving people like me a link to Bearwood that is more regular than Diamond's 21. It also gives us another link to West Brom other than the 89 and gives people in Warley more links to Bearwood and West Brom, both being popular shopping areas locally. Also it means people in these areas could connect with other buses for Birmingham and Merry Hill.
Just sitting here
Watching the Outer Circle buses
Go round and round...

Sh4318

Quote from: PinkBus on August 06, 2018, 05:40:35 PM

Now that I agree with, in fact put single deckers on the 48A, have it turn left at the island at the top of Manor Road, then have it follow the old (and much missed imo) 444 route, Hales Lane, Thimblemill Road, William Road, Harold Road, The Oval and Broadmoor Avenue, giving people like me a link to Bearwood that is more regular than Diamond's 21. It also gives us another link to West Brom other than the 89 and gives people in Warley more links to Bearwood and West Brom, both being popular shopping areas locally. Also it means people in these areas could connect with other buses for Birmingham and Merry Hill.

The 444 provided a lot of useful links that wouldn't have otherwise been available. For me, it hasn't been adequately replaced, the 445 route was always a very long, convulted route, the extension to West Brom didn't help things.

There's now no direct route to Bearwood from Smethwick, Blue Gates, when it's virtually up the road.

It feels like the West Brom to Londonderry section of the 89 has been shoehorned in to kill several birds with one stone
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

danny

How long has the 120 been the 120, I know it was originally a Midland red route but seriously I've seen pics of it in various forms from as far back as the 70s, likewise with the 128/9 in there original form.

Where as it will be sad to see these route numbers change sometimes change can be for the better. Let's not lie its going to make oldbury Town look very different especially with a new platinum service passing through. I think people will get it. I remember this debate when west Brom changed its numbers or Wolverhampton and now people don't think anything of it. (even if the 5 is still called the 451 by some locals) it will be interesting to see if the older generation still call these new routes by there old numbers out of habit.
Danny :) proud swift, mango and oyster user...

My locals 12, 12A, 13, 22, 126, and the sixes every weekend :)

Kevin

Quote from: danny on August 07, 2018, 08:43:16 AM
...  I remember this debate when west Brom changed its numbers or Wolverhampton and now people don't think anything of it. (even if the 5 is still called the 451 by some locals) it will be interesting to see if the older generation still call these new routes by there old numbers out of habit.

I have to add, lived in Great Barr most of my life and a lot of people don't even use numbers to refer to rito the 451/5, they just say "the Sutton bus"
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tiptonian

Quote from: danny on August 07, 2018, 08:43:16 AM
How long has the 120 been the 120,

I don't know for certain, but there is a picture in the "Midland Red" volume 1 of REDD HA 8003 on the 120 taken in August 1938.

Straightlines

Quote from: Tiptonian on August 07, 2018, 01:30:53 PM
I don't know for certain, but there is a picture in the "Midland Red" volume 1 of REDD HA 8003 on the 120 taken in August 1938.

But come on, the 'experts' have identified the need to banish all these three digit numbers as they are too complicated!   Not like they've had this number since the beginning of time or anything is it...

Oh well, I'm sure the West Midlands bus network will be saved once we get that turgid logo and a fleet of dull tone red Buses!  ???

Simon Dunn

Quote from: Simon Dunn on August 06, 2018, 04:28:55 PM
Not so far as I am aware

I have just seen an internal notice, which shows the Sunday/evening variations we operate changing the route numbers to the above in September so my last comment was incorrect

Simon

metrocity

Quote from: Straightlines on August 07, 2018, 01:41:08 PM
But come on, the 'experts' have identified the need to banish all these three digit numbers as they are too complicated!   Not like they've had this number since the beginning of time or anything is it...

Oh well, I'm sure the West Midlands bus network will be saved once we get that turgid logo and a fleet of dull tone red Buses!  ???
@Straightlines I would question if these 'experts' regularly travel
on the local bus network...

Straightlines

Quote from: metrocity on August 07, 2018, 03:50:09 PM
@Straightlines I would question if these 'experts' regularly travel
on the local bus network...

Indeed and this unfortunately lies one of the major problems with the industry.

Tony

Quote from: Straightlines on August 07, 2018, 04:35:41 PM
Indeed and this unfortunately lies one of the major problems with the industry.

Well, yes they do, and their changes normally end in an increase in passengers despite the comments on the internet, because they actually know what they are doing. One came to NX from Trent where a similar scheme of simple numbers was used, and strangely people on here seem to praise Trent!

Straightlines

Quote from: Tony on August 07, 2018, 05:36:23 PM
Well, yes they do, and their changes normally end in an increase in passengers despite the comments on the internet, because they actually know what they are doing. One came to NX from Trent where a similar scheme of simple numbers was used, and strangely people on here seem to praise Trent!

Trent are successful because they overall offer a good product and manage problems well - If you think changing some service numbers makes National Express anywhere near the quality of Trent Barton then I am genuinely lost for words...

Trident 4194

Quote from: Straightlines on August 07, 2018, 05:46:41 PM
Trent are successful because they overall offer a good product and manage problems well - If you think changing some service numbers makes National Express anywhere near the quality of Trent Barton then I am genuinely lost for words...

Haha wait your saying nx aren't the best. Hell no that's not allowed to be said on this forum

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk