News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

X1 transfers to Coventry 22/10/2023

Started by JPC, September 16, 2023, 02:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Quote from: dw1308 on October 25, 2023, 07:03:36 PMI have noticed that on my morning duties when following the X1 more often then not passengers are boarding my bus (60) and the X2 if its behind a X1, now I'm not sure if that's due to the bus being full or if passengers are looking at the front and seeing National Express Coventry and unsure if they can catch it or not.
Maybe those people need the 60 or X2 instead of the X1?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

dw1308

Quote from: Stu on October 25, 2023, 07:06:37 PMMaybe those people need the 60 or X2 instead of the X1?
Possibly but I tend to see it at King's Road going towards city with a lot that board my vehicle also getting off in the city centre 

Stu

Quote from: dw1308 on October 25, 2023, 07:08:46 PMPossibly but I tend to see it at King's Road going towards city with a lot that board my vehicle also getting off in the city centre
Ah I see, well yes in that direction it shouldn't really matter, though one would normally only hop on the 60 if they were actually going into Small Heath.
Hopefully it is just the case that people are choosing to get on your bus or the X2 because the X1 in front is full, in which case it's nice to see passengers 'doing the sensible thing' for a change, rather than just trying to ram themselves onto a heavily crowded bus just because it is the first one to arrive, despite another one being just behind.
My locals:

Stu

Quote from: dw1308 on October 25, 2023, 07:03:36 PMI'm not sure if that's due to the bus being full or if passengers are looking at the front and seeing National Express Coventry and unsure if they can catch it or not.
Just to add, I would doubt if that's the reason.

AG's recently transferred E400MMCs still have NX Coventry logos on them, and passengers don't have any qualms about getting on them. Plus there were plenty of other ex-Coventry B7RLEs operating in service before the NX West Midlands 'crimson' vinyls were hastily applied.

I also remember when YW had the eCitaro demonstrator on-loan earlier this year and it was used on the 3 a few times, even despite being a completely different type of bus, and being emblazoned with NX Coventry logos, passengers mostly didn't bat an eyelid and just hopped on board.
My locals:

Tony

Quote from: Stu on October 25, 2023, 08:15:05 PMI also remember when YW had the eCitaro demonstrator on-loan earlier this year and it was used on the 3 a few times, even despite being a completely different type of bus, and being emblazoned with NX Coventry logos, passengers mostly didn't bat an eyelid and just hopped on board.
When I was driving that on the 3 I did have a few who didn't think it was a 'normal' bus

suavegarv

Quote from: MW on October 23, 2023, 10:06:16 PMWhy aren't they suited?

If there's capacity issues, this can be rectified by a frequency increase. In terms of the layout, what do you mean? Were all the seats taken? If so, was this not an occurrence before?
As there are less seats, how does their standing capacity compare to the Platinums?

MW

Quote from: suavegarv on October 26, 2023, 06:20:57 PMAs there are less seats, how does their standing capacity compare to the Platinums?

Less seats for people to put their bags on? 

Stu

Quote from: Jack on October 23, 2023, 09:34:24 PMFrustrated people too I've seen most the day, most aren't happy with the EV's layout and I've seen a fair amount of rammed ones during the day. I personally don't think they are suited to the X1 at all.
Compared to an E400MMC there is a loss of 8 seats.

I used to get the X1/X2 regularly from 2016 to 2018, and even back then you'd often get the E400MMCs rammed full.

I don't know what the standing capacities are for either type of bus, but the problem you get is when people won't go upstairs to look for an available seat, and instead choose to stand near the front of the bus, rather than in the standing area. As more people get on, they think there's nowhere to sit so they stand in the narrow gangway too. It also doesn't help when selfish people won't make seats next to them available, either by putting their bag next to them, or slouching across two seats.

There's nothing wrong really with the EVs, though obviously overcrowding becomes a problem when the service inevitably runs late due to traffic congestion, or when there are issues with the trains.
My locals:

mesub

Looks like ever since the 3rd of February, a B7 is booked to do the night shorts on the X1. Is it no longer viable to have the electrics running then?
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

Dennis Dart Plaxton Pointer

Quote from: mesub on February 22, 2024, 09:41:28 PMLooks like ever since the 3rd of February, a B7 is booked to do the night shorts on the X1. Is it no longer viable to have the electrics running then?
It's only a temp messure (Im not entirely sure we're allowed to post why they're not on it atm). Electrics will be back on them eventually 

GoldenSquid

Quote from: Dennis Dart Plaxton Pointer on February 22, 2024, 11:22:04 PMIt's only a temp messure (Im not entirely sure we're allowed to post why they're not on it atm). Electrics will be back on them eventually
Could it be due to the M42 Junction works and some nights it being on diversion?

Local Routes: 14/71/72/94/95/96/97/X12/X13

Straightlines

Quote from: Dennis Dart Plaxton Pointer on February 22, 2024, 11:22:04 PMIt's only a temp messure (Im not entirely sure we're allowed to post why they're not on it atm). Electrics will be back on them eventually
Presumably due to recent guidance issued by NX around leaving Electrics unattended without supervision.

Westy

Must admit I had a ride over to Coventry Wednesday just gone, so it was an early start, but I had to put the bins out anyway!

Pleasant ride, but is there no other way of serving that bit past Meriden, where you come off the A45, where you have to double back on yourself?

It's been sometime since I caught a bus to Coventry, as most recent trips pre Covid were by train.

Think the last time by bus was in the 159 days, but did the 159 do the 'double back' as well?

Stu

Quote from: Westy on April 06, 2024, 03:38:32 PMPleasant ride, but is there no other way of serving that bit past Meriden, where you come off the A45, where you have to double back on yourself?
Parkhill Terminus?

When part of the A45 was closed for a while, when they were building the bridge, both the X1 and 82 diverted via Pickford Grange Lane and Upper Eastern Green Lane to get to Parkhill Drive.

While it's possible to go that way, its still quicker to go direct via the A45 and then dip in/out of the Parkhill estate.

I suppose things might change in coming years as there is a new housing development underway there, hence the reason for the construction of the road bridge over the A45.
My locals:

Rachvince53

Quote from: Westy on April 06, 2024, 03:38:32 PMMust admit I had a ride over to Coventry Wednesday just gone, so it was an early start, but I had to put the bins out anyway!

Pleasant ride, but is there no other way of serving that bit past Meriden, where you come off the A45, where you have to double back on yourself?

It's been sometime since I caught a bus to Coventry, as most recent trips pre Covid were by train.

Think the last time by bus was in the 159 days, but did the 159 do the 'double back' as well?
I don't think the 159 served Parkhill and the old 900 certainly didn't serve Parkhill at all originally either. It was I think the changes to local services in that part of Coventry which led to the 900 serving Parkhill. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk