News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

West Midlands Bus Area Map and Guides

Started by Bus Man K2, October 30, 2019, 05:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoNi

An effort has been made to put routes outside West Midlands county that are geographically on the map.
It's a great pity there are so many mistakes on what will become an historical document for this set of service changes.
Other things of note:
U1 and U2 go via Kenilworth rather than A46
Route 6/A incorrectly shown at malfunction junction.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: JoNi on October 31, 2019, 08:06:40 PM
An effort has been made to put routes outside West Midlands county that are geographically on the map.
It's a great pity there are so many mistakes on what will become an historical document for this set of service changes.
Other things of note:

Hi JoNi

Thanks for the info. 

Where about is the malfunction junction?

I noticed the 55 routing at Fox and Goose isn't up to date, the current route from Fox and Goose is they serve Coleshill Road, Stechford Road and Hodge Hill Road. The map shows still shows the old route (Stechford Lane and Stechford Road).

The 48 is also incorrectly listed on Mindelsohn Way. Only the X22, 19 and 10S use Mindelsohn Way. On the online map on the NWM website.

The 99 is also listed on Sheldon Heath Road though that no longer exists.

X12/X70 are also listed on Nechells Parkway. Though they don't stop along Nechells Parkway, so surely shouldn't be listed, the route is also variable (some journeys will take that route, others don't and take other routes such as the Aston Expressway and Tyburn Road, its the non - stop section of the service)

Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

JoNi

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on October 31, 2019, 08:28:54 PM
Hi JoNi

Thanks for the info. 

Where about is the malfunction junction?
It's the junction of Tile Hill Lane and A45 Fletchamstead Highway by Sainsbury's superstore. It got the name from drivers as the traffic lights didn't work logically with each other.

JPC

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on October 31, 2019, 06:56:56 PM
Aren't there some services that do the loop of the Uni at the Uni of Warwick?

DeCourcey's route 43W, what is essentially a works service and therefore not on the map is apparently the only service still using the University Road (both ways).

Quote from: JoNi on October 31, 2019, 08:06:40 PM

U1 and U2 only runs through Kenilworth (non stop) when they divert due to traffic congestion.
As the 6/6A is now only using bus stops along Tile Hill Lane do we really need to map it going around the Malfunction Junction?.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: JPC on October 31, 2019, 09:18:26 PM
DeCourcey's route 43W, what is essentially a works service and therefore not on the map is apparently the only service still using the University Road (both ways).

U1 and U2 only runs through Kenilworth (non stop) when they divert due to traffic congestion.
As the 6/6A is now only using bus stops along Tile Hill Lane do we really need to map it going around the Malfunction Junction?.

Hi JPC I suppose it doesn't need to be shown. However if all the other major junctions are mentioned then it should be.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: 2206 on October 31, 2019, 08:45:35 PM
I noticed the 55 routing at Fox and Goose isn't up to date, the current route from Fox and Goose is they serve Coleshill Road, Stechford Road and Hodge Hill Road. The map shows still shows the old route (Stechford Lane and Stechford Road).

The 48 is also incorrectly listed on Mindelsohn Way. Only the X22, 19 and 10S use Mindelsohn Way. On the online map on the NWM website.

The 99 is also listed on Sheldon Heath Road though that no longer exists.

X12/X70 are also listed on Nechells Parkway. Though they don't stop along Nechells Parkway, so surely shouldn't be listed, the route is also variable (some journeys will take that route, others don't and take other routes such as the Aston Expressway and Tyburn Road, its the non - stop section of the service)

Hi 2206

Isn't the routing of the 55 temporary? if not I will get them to change it.

Thanks for pointing out the 48 is wrong around QEH.

With regards to the 99 if you look at the B'ham map dated the 27th Oct then that issues has already been amended.

As for the X12/X70 they should be mentioned on Nechells Parkway although they don't stop along there. In all honesty the X12 should also be shown on all the other diversionary routes that it takes as for the X70 I'm not sure on that route if it takes any other diversionary routes.

Justin Tyme

Hi Bus Man K2

One minor thing I would like to add.  In Birmingham and Solihull, the 49 is no longer a high-frequency route.  It was reduced from every 10 mins to every 15 mins a few years back.

Thanks.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Justin Tyme on November 03, 2019, 09:36:54 PM
Hi Bus Man K2

One minor thing I would like to add.  In Birmingham and Solihull, the 49 is no longer a frequency route.  It was reduced from every 10 mins to every 15 mins a few years back.

Thanks.

Hi Justin

Thanks for this info.

Is this on the actual map or is it on the frequency guide? I assume it's on the actual map. I think if it is on the map it because there are other services that serve the part of the  roads that the 49 serves. So the colour of the roads that the 49 serve can't be changed unless there is only that service serving it. If that's the case then I'll try and get it changed.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Bus Man K2 on November 04, 2019, 09:48:57 AM
Hi Justin

Thanks for this info.

Is this on the actual map or is it on the frequency guide? I assume it's on the actual map. I think if it is on the map it because there are other services that serve the part of the  roads that the 49 serves. So the colour of the roads that the 49 serve can't be changed unless there is only that service serving it. If that's the case then I'll try and get it changed.

It is on the map.  Some of the route is indeed covered by other services, only a small part is shared with a "high frequency" service.  I appreciate that it may be a moot point whether some roads are "high frequency" roads.  For example, I see that Lichfield Road between Sutton Coldfield town centre and Mere Green is not in "high frequency" colour.  I would agree with this because while there are 7 buses per hour on this section, this is formed of three half-hourly services and one hourly service.

On this basis, on the 49 route, I would suggest that Danford Lane in Solihull and the Haslucks Green Rd/Newborough Road - Maypole section would justify a change of colour.

Also,

Busmapper

The 'high frequency' demarcation on the maps is something I like but once you start looking carefully there are numerous inaccuracies versus the 10 minutes or less definition such as Walmley Ash Road and Walmley Road being shown as a HF route from Minworth to Sutton.

I also think it was a backwards step to lose the frequency guide on the back of the most recent paper versions in favour of the overly simplistic day of the week a service operates tick.

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Busmapper on November 07, 2019, 11:22:21 PM
The 'high frequency' demarcation on the maps is something I like but once you start looking carefully there are numerous inaccuracies versus the 10 minutes or less definition such as Walmley Ash Road and Walmley Road being shown as a HF route from Minworth to Sutton.

I also think it was a backwards step to lose the frequency guide on the back of the most recent paper versions in favour of the overly simplistic day of the week a service operates tick.

Hi Busmapper

I will look at all the 'higher frequncey' service roads on the next re-printed of the area maps as this will tack longer that I have got this time around.

With regards to the tick aspect on the Frequency guide I will ask if it's possible to have the 'higher frequency routes' re added to the list in respect to 10 mins or less. With the others being as they are now. This is only as they are looking for other ways to show how frequent services are and also what days those services operate on. If possible for the routes that operate up to 15 mins I will see if it's possible to have both the tick show and the frequency. That will only then leave the services that operate half hourly and hourly. Which I think is better to just have a tick by the days of operation.

Thank you for your input.

Regards

Bus Man K2

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Justin Tyme on November 05, 2019, 09:09:39 PM
It is on the map.  Some of the route is indeed covered by other services, only a small part is shared with a "high frequency" service.  I appreciate that it may be a moot point whether some roads are "high frequency" roads.  For example, I see that Lichfield Road between Sutton Coldfield town centre and Mere Green is not in "high frequency" colour.  I would agree with this because while there are 7 buses per hour on this section, this is formed of three half-hourly services and one hourly service.

On this basis, on the 49 route, I would suggest that Danford Lane in Solihull and the Haslucks Green Rd/Newborough Road - Maypole section would justify a change of colour.

Also,

Hi Justin

I will see if they agree with your suggestion. I do agree, but it's up to them how thay show stuff like that.

Also, as I said to Busmapper it will take me longer than I have to look through all the 'higher frequency' routes. So this may take until the next reprint or may be the one offer. It's a very hard job to do. I  only do this as they know I'll put miskates wrong that they have overlooked.

Regards

Bus Man K2

Westy

Bus Man K2

Quote from: Westy on November 08, 2019, 06:29:27 PM
Cov map now in Walsall.

That w would probably be the 22 Sept 19 edition and not the one that we'll be working on. We'll be producing the latest edition in April 2020.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk