News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Solihull Bus Service Changes - Consultation.

Started by 2206, September 26, 2018, 04:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consultation on service changes to Diamonds Signature Services and Igo's 69 - including extending Igo's 69 into Solihull to replace the S15 and extending the operating hours of the S1's replacement.

https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/campaigns/solihull-bus-review/
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

winston

I notice it says Diamond are withdrawing their commercial S11 & S15 services from Feb, but there's no mention of the Silverline S10 or Claribel's S16

Smethwickian

Quote from: 2206 on September 26, 2018, 04:59:45 PM
Consultation on service changes to Diamonds Signature Services and Igo's 69 - including extending Igo's 69 into Solihull to replace the S15 and extending the operating hours of the S1's replacement.

https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/campaigns/solihull-bus-review/
I see potentially the loss of the S3 service from most if not all of the Wythall, Grimes Hill and Hollywood area of Worcestershire - and knowing that the county council hasn't filled gaps in recent big cuts in the south of Worcestershire, that does not bode well.
Also, Chadwick End loses all its buses apart from three Warwickshire Flexibus journeys per week.

Kevin

The proposals to incorporate the S11 and S15 into other routes makes sense but I'd suggest the 30/31 to take in the S11 instead. One convoluted loop of the S1 surely isn't going to go well with the people that currently use it

Quote from: Smethwickian on September 27, 2018, 09:59:31 AM
I see potentially the loss of the S3 service from most if not all of the Wythall, Grimes Hill and Hollywood area of Worcestershire - and knowing that the county council hasn't filled gaps in recent big cuts in the south of Worcestershire, that does not bode well.
Also, Chadwick End loses all its buses apart from three Warwickshire Flexibus journeys per week.

The circular suggestion involving Wythall, Cheswick Green and Dickens Heath seems the best of the options, would even mean an improvement from what I can see because it would be more direct from Wythall to other places as opposed to the snaking around the S3 does now (Wythall - Tidbury Green is legit quicker walking than on that route)

Over the years any time I've travelled on the 88 or previous routes via Chadwick End I've only seen one person use the bus there. Hardly worthwhile really
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

MW

S3W only tends to be busy in the morning from Wythall. I'm at Wythall Church right now with two passengers who are doing round trips from Knowle! Bet there'll be no passengers until Dickens Heath...

Most of the passengers who do use the S3W only catch it to Maypole, and you only get those passengers because the 150 is a few minutes later. If the S3W is running late, they'll just get the 150.

Better off getting rid of the S3W and extending a couple of AM & PM 50 journeys to Wythall.

JPC

A few years back (2011-2015) the 88 was the only regular link between Solihull and Balsall Common, unsurpisingly it's future was put into doubt when the 87 was extended to serve this link under a shorter journey, the 88 is untimately becoming an "87E" service.
The 87 potentially will be around 4 miles/10 mins longer each way if it still runs between Solihull and Coventry or we could possibly see an extension of a University of Warwick service to Balsall Common/Fen End.

Westy

Quote from: MW on September 27, 2018, 11:40:35 AM
S3W only tends to be busy in the morning from Wythall. I'm at Wythall Church right now with two passengers who are doing round trips from Knowle! Bet there'll be no passengers until Dickens Heath...

Most of the passengers who do use the S3W only catch it to Maypole, and you only get those passengers because the 150 is a few minutes later. If the S3W is running late, they'll just get the 150.

Better off getting rid of the S3W and extending a couple of AM & PM 50 journeys to Wythall.

Isnt that what they've just withdrawn from the South Brum one?

MW

Quote from: Westy on September 30, 2018, 07:06:46 PM

Isnt that what they've just withdrawn from the South Brum one?

They've withdrawn the 50A in August I think, but if there was no S3W, then I think it could warrant a 50A. Same line of route as S3W from Maypole. 30 min extension (both directions included).

Stu

I'm very much of the opinion that as this involves subsidised services, this consultation should really be for people who regularly use these services to have their say on what happens.

Not wanting to denigrate anyone for having an opinion of course, but when it comes to the crunch, the outcome should be down to those people who rely on these services to get about their daily business. Rather than the 'armchair network planners' who fancy an occasional nice afternoon out once in a while.

NX withdrew their 50A due to "insufficient passenger demand", so I can't see the sense in recommending that service being reintroduced, if it is not even viable as part of an already busy and well-used commercial route.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Dom

Quote from: Stu on September 30, 2018, 08:07:35 PM
I'm very much of the opinion that as this involves subsidised services, this consultation should really be for people who regularly use these services to have their say on what happens.

Not wanting to denigrate anyone for having an opinion of course, but when it comes to the crunch, the outcome should be down to those people who rely on these services to get about their daily business. Rather than the 'armchair network planners' who fancy an occasional nice afternoon out once in a while.

NX withdrew their 50A due to "insufficient passenger demand", so I can't see the sense in recommending that service being reintroduced, if it is not even viable as part of an already busy and well-used commercial route.

It is, market research is being carried out on affected services.

Busmapper

The proposals as described imply Dickens Heath loses its bus service under three of the four S2-west options. Surely under all but S2-west option 2 the S3 would be retained between Solihull and Dickens Heath. Even under option S2-west 2 maybe one bph on the S3 this side of Solihull retained as I can't believe the Woodlands Estate (Stretton Rd) would be left without a service. I do wonder if under S2-west options 1,3 & 4 Tidbury Green and Majors Green are losing a sevice completely.
Over at Truemans Heath (Hollywood) I anticipate certain 150 journeys would be diverted off Alcester Road.

Busmapper

We now have some confirmation of what these changes will be.
With reference to the original consultation, it is S2 west option 4 that is to be implemented - a South Solihull circular via Cheswick Green, Blythe Valley, Hockley Heath and Dorridge. Numbered 78/79 at tender, it will actually run as service A7 & A8 (plus A6 shorts to Cheswick Gr) and will be operated by Landflight on a 5 year contract.
Also operated by Landflight, service S3 is largely retained although split as service A3 to Dorridge via Knowle (tender service nr. 83) and A5 to Dickens Heath (tender service nr. 33), along with an hourly extension of the latter to Wythall running as A4 (tender service nr. 34) following WorcCC's decision to continue subsidy.

The S1 and S11 continue, still operated by Diamond but as services A1 and A2, whilst the S15 is confirmed as being absorbed by an extension to iGo service 69.

There will also be changes to services 87 & 88 - details here.

monkeyjoe

Stu

Quote from: monkeyjoe on January 13, 2019, 04:36:19 PM
What does the A suffix represent?...

I don't know to be honest, I will wait and see if any indication is given when TfWM / Network West Midlands put out their own official news release regarding this.

I have seen it suggested that the A- prefix (not suffix) has been derived from 'Arden', an old historical name for the area, hence why we have Hampton-in-Arden, Henley-in-Arden, amongst others.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Brummie45

Current Local Routes 53,94,96 and X12. Nearby routes 55,70,71,71A,99 and X70.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk