News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

First Bus - Potteries

Started by Ashley, March 15, 2014, 11:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DVXXII

Solo's 53059 and 53060 have been parked up at AG depot with 'not for service use' stickers in the windscreen for most of this week

barry619

Could be that they're both broken, or it could be to do with the suggestion that some Solos were to be swapped with bigger buses from elsewhere to better suit the two corridors that have had their frequencies reduced - reduced, that is, to suit operational requirements rather than demand and the latest step on the road to the inevitable.

DVXXII

Quote from: barry619 on March 07, 2016, 02:05:46 AM
Could be that they're both broken, or it could be to do with the suggestion that some Solos were to be swapped with bigger buses from elsewhere to better suit the two corridors that have had their frequencies reduced - reduced, that is, to suit operational requirements rather than demand and the latest step on the road to the inevitable.
I think there's a lot of truth regarding the comment regarding operational need over demand. Certainly on the 23 corridor the main frequency has reduced from a bus every 7/8 minutes to every 15 in the last 15 or so years. I understand that car ownership may be more prevalent nowadays but the peak journeys certainly were fully loaded with solo's used before the frequency was cut from every 10 to every 15 minutes. Dread to think what they're like now.
Even if bigger vehicles were sourced, the increase in capacity on both the 21 & 23 (which have both recently had their frequency cut) is limited due to the route of both services going under Glebe Street bridge by Stoke Station. This makes full length single deckers out of the question.

DVXXII

Quote from: DVXXII on March 04, 2016, 06:36:39 PM
Solo's 53059 and 53060 have been parked up at AG depot with 'not for service use' stickers in the windscreen for most of this week
53060 back out today, providing link journeys on the 26 due to the closure of Caverswall Road during the daytime.

53059 is still in the same position with a not for use sticker. Also around the depot with not for use stickers in the windscreen are 41495 and 66302

DVXXII

Noted today that 65037 is the latest to receive the new livery with a pinky coloured front (could be fuscia, raspberry or similar, I really can't tell the difference!). Out in service on the 101

DVXXII

Quote from: DVXXII on March 11, 2016, 06:46:33 PM
53060 back out today, providing link journeys on the 26 due to the closure of Caverswall Road during the daytime.

53059 is still in the same position with a not for use sticker. Also around the depot with not for use stickers in the windscreen are 41495 and 66302

Just noticed a typo, the Caetano dart out of action is 41496

DVXXII

Quote from: DVXXII on March 11, 2016, 06:46:33 PM

53060 is back parked up again after its brief foray providing a link for road closures on the 26.

Another dart parked up out of use at the depot for a week next to 41496 is 43877. Reported elsewhere is that 66845 has turned up at Worcester depot on suspended tow for engine work.

Ashley 60171

63174 reported elsewhere as being on the 5 today. First one on tere.

40007 went to Worcester as a parts donor.

barry619

Very interesting to read in Buses mag that First submitted a bit for some OLEV money for 15 low carbon single-deckers for the Potteries. The article suggests StreetLites or E200 MMCs if it is successful.

DVXXII

Noted yesterday at AG depot was 32052, which is in overall livery promoting engineering careers at first. Scan of the net suggests this moves around regions doing promotion work. Expecting to find this parked up soon in Hanley centre.

DVXXII

Unusual working today is 53828 on 6/26, usually a streetlite only route.

At AG depot the two solo's that have been parked up out of use for a number of weeks (53059/60) have moved. Not seen either back in service in Potteries but will keep a look out. In the depot 41496 still in the same position, as is visitor 32052. 43877 has moved but not back out in service yet. About 6 E300s and a couple of streetlites left in with the good Friday reduced PVR

Visible At NE depot are withdrawn 42354 60175 65567 and a heavily stripped solo (think 40009) Plenty more Scania Wrights non DDA compliant buses tucked behind these but I couldn't identify which.

Ashley 60171

Quote from: DVXXII on March 25, 2016, 06:42:57 PM
Unusual working today is 53828 on 6/26, usually a streetlite only route.

At AG depot the two solo's that have been parked up out of use for a number of weeks (53059/60) have moved. Not seen either back in service in Potteries but will keep a look out. In the depot 41496 still in the same position, as is visitor 32052. 43877 has moved but not back out in service yet. About 6 E300s and a couple of streetlites left in with the good Friday reduced PVR

Visible At NE depot are withdrawn 42354 60175 65567 and a heavily stripped solo (think 40009) Plenty more Scania Wrights non DDA compliant buses tucked behind these but I couldn't identify which.

I don't believe Newcastle will be empty any time soon.

barry619

I spent a little while watching what passes for First's operation in Newcastle yesterday, having been there for matters unrelated. Observations would suggest that the best thing First could do is give up and walk away.

The standard of presentation is simply awful, both vehicles and drivers alike, and there is a huge problem with lack of discipline among driving staff. They appear to do what they want - run early, run late because they have stopped for a cigarette, don't bother to set the blind correctly (three consecutive buses leaving the bus station there had the incorrect blind showing) and there are also numerous single-deckers with non-functioning side or rear blinds - despite this being something that is mandated by the PSV Accessibility Regs. There also seems to be a complete inability to grasp the fact that if you have branded a bus up for a particular route, it is a good idea to use it on that route.

It is a shockingly poor operation and it's little surprise that they are losing passengers at the rate of a million per year.

T840MAK

Quote from: barry619 on March 26, 2016, 09:33:10 PM
I spent a little while watching what passes for First's operation in Newcastle yesterday, having been there for matters unrelated. Observations would suggest that the best thing First could do is give up and walk away.

The standard of presentation is simply awful, both vehicles and drivers alike, and there is a huge problem with lack of discipline among driving staff. They appear to do what they want - run early, run late because they have stopped for a cigarette, don't bother to set the blind correctly (three consecutive buses leaving the bus station there had the incorrect blind showing) and there are also numerous single-deckers with non-functioning side or rear blinds - despite this being something that is mandated by the PSV Accessibility Regs. There also seems to be a complete inability to grasp the fact that if you have branded a bus up for a particular route, it is a good idea to use it on that route.

It is a shockingly poor operation and it's little surprise that they are losing passengers at the rate of a million per year.
1) I have never noticed anything as awful as you mention about vehicle presentation, I always find their vehicles well presented with friendly drivers who generally run to time ( which is a damnsight better than First in my local area!)
2) The issue with the side/rear blinds not functioning (on the Enviro300s I have noticed it) is a software problem and not an issue with the actual blind its self - although god knows why it hasn't been fixed yet, it has been reported numerous times.
3) Branded buses being off route is irrelevant in any situation. It is a case of a branded bus on the wrong route, or no bus on said route, and I know which of these I would prefer to happen. Let's not also forget the marketing exercise that this can lead to by advertising places on other routes.
4) Completely disagree on the operation being poor.
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

barry619

Quote from: T840MAK on March 27, 2016, 05:52:35 PM
1) I have never noticed anything as awful as you mention about vehicle presentation, I always find their vehicles well presented with friendly drivers who generally run to time ( which is a damnsight better than First in my local area!)
2) The issue with the side/rear blinds not functioning (on the Enviro300s I have noticed it) is a software problem and not an issue with the actual blind its self - although god knows why it hasn't been fixed yet, it has been reported numerous times.
3) Branded buses being off route is irrelevant in any situation. It is a case of a branded bus on the wrong route, or no bus on said route, and I know which of these I would prefer to happen. Let's not also forget the marketing exercise that this can lead to by advertising places on other routes.
4) Completely disagree on the operation being poor.

1. No, sitting in South Yorkshire I don't suppose you have.
2. Who said anything about E300s? When a blind is blank, that means that it is not working.
3. Ah, right. Your experience in bus marketing is what, exactly?
4. I suggest you look a little bit more closely next time you are in the Potteries - if you don't upset drivers, you may have more opportunity to do so.

Don't take this personally, but as a lad in his teens I could give a monkey's what you think. First Potteries is a pathetic operation that runs with knackered, filthy buses, many of which still carry a livery that became obsolete some years ago. Many also have not been near the bus wash for some days, if not weeks. If that is what you consider a half decent outfit may I politely suggest that you never attempt to join the industry when you leave college.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk