News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

If you could bring back any old route what would it be and why?

Started by hlliwmai, October 09, 2023, 12:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wumpty

Quote from: Rachvince53 on October 11, 2023, 08:13:57 PMThat's how it was originally.  It replaced the 366 between Mere Green and Aldridge (which had also served Walsall as the 6 does now) hence that was all stops. However the rest was mostly covered by other services at the time so ran limited stop over most of those sections. After Mere Green, it stopped at Four Oaks Station and Tamworth Road (for Sutton Park) and the High Street I think before serving Sutton itself.  I know it served Erdington but I'm trying to think where it went from there.
It stopped at Sutton Coldfield, Wylde Green/Yenton, Erdington Six Ways, Kingsbury Road, Chester Road, Collector Road, Chelmsley Wood Pine Square, Bickenhill Lane, International Station.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

MasterPlan

Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

sonic84

Quote from: Mike K on October 11, 2023, 07:14:24 PMI also have fond memories of the 10, although I didn't use it that much myself. Unfortunately patronage at the Quinton Road West / West Boulevard end helped subsidise the lighter usage through the affluent areas of Harborne and Edgbaston, and when the 103 was extended to cover this end of the route, the 10 became less necessary and ultimately unviable as an all day service.
I have to say I agree about the 10.

If I ever need to get into the city centre during peaks, I always choose the 10 over the 24.  Same for returning back home.

To be honest, even more recently when nxwm ran the 10, I was surprised that more people didn't use it.

metrocity

Quote from: j789 on October 11, 2023, 06:16:59 PMI'd also bring back the old Midland Red motorway express routes to Birmingham from places like Worcester, Shrewsbury, Nottingham, etc. It's a shame the driver regulations killed those routes off as they would need tachos these days.
More likely it was the introduction of ENCTS that contributed towards the demise of those types of routes

Tony

Quote from: metrocity on October 12, 2023, 12:18:38 PMMore likely it was the introduction of ENCTS that contributed towards the demise of those types of routes
Most died before then even, it was the big improvements in rail journeys compared to the peak congestion on roads that killed most.

I remember catching the X99 to Nottingham a couple of times on a Midland Red 'day anywhere ticket' and went for a week's holiday as a child to Butlins at Skegness on it, changing at Nottingham onto the Trent service that went through, amused by the place name of Ashby de la Zouch, but it was well before ENCTS it finished.

B61 ANDREW

I think I must have travelled on almost all of the 'X - services' from Birmingham but I cannot recall ever having a trip on the X44.  :cry:  

Tony

Quote from: B61 ANDREW on October 12, 2023, 01:46:24 PMI think I must have travelled on almost all of the 'X - services' from Birmingham but I cannot recall ever having a trip on the X44.  :cry: 
That was the best one using CM6 motorway coaches!

markcf83

Quote from: Steve3229vp on October 11, 2023, 08:56:56 PMFrom Erdington it went 'Limited Stop' via Wood End Road, Kingsbury Road, Chester Road, Collector Road, Chelmsley Wood and then to Airport
Wasn't that the 966?
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

B61 ANDREW

Quote from: Tony on October 12, 2023, 02:34:42 PMThat was the best one using CM6 motorway coaches!
Yes , big regrets that I never went for it. Some of the "dp" vehicles used on some of the other 'X' services were rather basic by comparison.   

Steve3229vp

markcf83

Quote from: Steve3229vp on October 12, 2023, 04:40:27 PMYes
I thought it was-and I remember,rather vaguely,it went from Wolverhampton to Birmingham Airport via seemingly half of the West Midlands.  
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

ellspurs

Route 98 from Sheldon, the Wheatsheaf to Hay Mills Asda via every back road it could find in East Birmingham.

Always enjoyed sat on the back of one of Lynx's doing these journeys as a kid.

Sayeed

Quote from: sonic84 on 12/10/2023, 09:10:16I have to say I agree about the 10.If I ever need to get into the city centre during peaks, I always choose the 10 over the 24.  Same for returning back home.To be honest, even more recently when nxwm ran the 10, I was surprised that more people didn't use it.

Every time I drove past, the bus towards the city was half full and that was on the Quinton Road West.

I kind of wished the NX kept just the 10 route but when there were strike days changed the mind.
Век живи - век учись

Quote from: Sayeed on October 14, 2023, 04:36:18 PMEvery time I drove past, the bus towards the city was half full and that was on the Quinton Road West.

It did use the smallest vehicles in the fleet as well 7XX. Which would probably fill up quicker than a 49XX or Omnilink.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Sayeed

Quote from: 2206 on October 14, 2023, 05:00:27 PMIt did use the smallest vehicles in the fleet as well 7XX. Which would probably fill up quicker than a 49XX or Omnilink.
No, 800s were used and common on the 10.
Век живи - век учись

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk