News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Diamond Bus Service Changes 15th April 2023

Started by the trainbasher, February 09, 2023, 08:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

QuoteThere clearly aren't the numbers using the 002, 45 or 226, otherwise they wouldn't be facing withdrawals...

Would you really want TfWM being in charge of all WM Bus Services under franchising, given how well they managed & implemented the Jan 1st changes ? It will cost the WM taxpayer a fortune to implement franchising & provide/retain routes carrying fresh air.

As for no cuts under a TfL style bus network, the 271 has just been cut despite significant requests to save it during public consultation.
Well, how come it was sustainable for Diamond to carry buses full of empty air on the 226 10 years ago with bargain basement return fares when they decided to compete against Hansons then if they can't make it sustainable now?

At least, under a franchise model, the franchising authority have to consult the public when changes are made, and they answer to both councillors and the public. Under the current model operators can cut what they want, when they want (as long as they give the appropriate notice) and only answer to the shareholders.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Trident 4194

I would have the 002 terminate at field lane Bartley green.

Straightlines

Quote from: j789 on February 09, 2023, 10:28:16 PMHow exactly would franchising solve the underlying problem here - less passenger and increasing costs?!?

Anyone who thinks the London model is something to aspire to needs their head looking at.
Simple. It would stop operators (like the aforementioned) dictating what routes operate and instead would take a holistic view on the entire network.

Whilst the London model has some flaws, what model do you want to aspire to?  The dying carcass that is Worcesters bus network!?

hlliwmai

Quote from: Trident 4194 on February 09, 2023, 10:14:29 PMAgain the issue with the 002 is reliability. Unfortunately drivers are incapable of sticking to timetable schedules as of late. The amount of 002s I've seen in 2s or running NIS to get back ontime it's ridiculous.

I know a lot of good drivers have moved onto better things as can expected, but the drivers on routes now really do need some form of monitoring and training. It's not acceptable

It also doesn't help the crap buses Diamond use on the 002 either when most of them on a daily basis break down! When I worked for Diamond in 2018 the ONLY buses that were suppose to be used on the route were the 68 plate Streetlites and I know these were purchased for use but not exclusively on the 002 then all of a sudden those Streetlites one by one started being used on other routes and the crap Volvo's (etc) were then being used on the route instead

Justin Tyme

Quote from: winston on February 09, 2023, 10:51:25 PMWould you really want TfWM being in charge of all WM Bus Services under franchising, given how well they managed & implemented the Jan 1st changes ?

Not on their current performance!  At the moment the notion of a bus network seems to have been lost.  Over five weeks after the changes there are no maps, even online.  And publicity about new services is limited to bus stop departure lists - which isn't going to catch the eye.

sonic84

Quote from: Mike K on February 09, 2023, 10:29:52 PMI'm also shocked by the withdrawal of the 002. A long-standing established service that until recently ran every 15 minutes. They've been very open about the reasons in that press release, but to go from this frequency to withdrawn within a few months....well that's some demise.

I am too shocked about the 002 given that it recently ran at a 15 minute frequency.

Given the 002 is the quickest route between Halesowen and Merry Hill and is a long established service I am surprised by this.  I would have thought a reduction to every 30 mins and cut the Sunday service would have been tried first before being withdrawn all together.

j789

Quote from: Straightlines on February 09, 2023, 11:13:58 PMSimple. It would stop operators (like the aforementioned) dictating what routes operate and instead would take a holistic view on the entire network.

Whilst the London model has some flaws, what model do you want to aspire to?  The dying carcass that is Worcesters bus network!?
How can you compare Worcester and the West Midlands? Worcester has suffered because of many factors, particularly a mostly unsupportive council who clearly don't see buses as a viable transport solution - they got rid of their own operated park and ride for goodness sake!

The West Midlands scene is no where near this level of decay, when was the last time a Birmingham trunk route got withdrawn? NX provide pretty much all of them and the only issues there are lack of drivers not cutting services - franchising won't solve that so there will be no difference.

The services being cut are the peripheral routes not serving Birmingham, it's unfortunate but, like in smaller places like Worcester, if the passenger numbers aren't there any more, unless you are advocating throwing endless money away on unsustainable routes, there is going to be a continued rationalisation of the network on such routes. But it isn't the trunk routes that are affected currently so why franchise these as they operate fine as they are (bar the driver shortages mentioned above)?

Franchising is not the answer to anything bus related, it's a very expensive short term fix that won't solve any of the issues the industry faces. It's also ironic those advocating it are often those also moaning about the profit margins of private bus companies and how they want to return to the days of nationalisation. If anything, the opposite will happen and more tax payer money will be wasted.

Trident 4194

Quote from: hlliwmai on February 09, 2023, 11:15:42 PMIt also doesn't help the crap buses Diamond use on the 002 either when most of them on a daily basis break down! When I worked for Diamond in 2018 the ONLY buses that were suppose to be used on the route were the 68 plate Streetlites and I know these were purchased for use but not exclusively on the 002 then all of a sudden those Streetlites one by one started being used on other routes and the crap Volvo's (etc) were then being used on the route instead

Management must have heard you. Look at all these streetlites on the 002 today!

Rachvince53

Quote from: Straightlines on February 09, 2023, 10:02:48 PMIf there were ever a compelling argument for franchising...
And franchising will be cost effective?  I mean you do realise that franchises are funded from the same pot of money as currently used for subsidised routes. The main difference is that operators are normally forced to operate the services for up to 10 years even if they're losing money. 

Straightlines

Quote from: Rachvince53 on February 10, 2023, 10:47:21 AMAnd franchising will be cost effective?  I mean you do realise that franchises are funded from the same pot of money as currently used for subsidised routes. The main difference is that operators are normally forced to operate the services for up to 10 years even if they're losing money.
Cost effective to whom?

My main concern is that we need a usable bus network in the West Midlands, and not one where we have 2-3 dominant legacy operators that can suddenly decide that large areas or communities no longer have local bus services to access Education or Employment opportunities. (with the subsequent hope then that the local authority will put these routes out to tender).

The commercial local bus model is over.

the trainbasher

QuoteHow can you compare Worcester and the West Midlands? Worcester has suffered because of many factors, particularly a mostly unsupportive council who clearly don't see buses as a viable transport solution - they got rid of their own operated park and ride for goodness sake!

The West Midlands scene is no where near this level of decay, when was the last time a Birmingham trunk route got withdrawn? NX provide pretty much all of them and the only issues there are lack of drivers not cutting services - franchising won't solve that so there will be no difference.

The services being cut are the peripheral routes not serving Birmingham, it's unfortunate but, like in smaller places like Worcester, if the passenger numbers aren't there any more, unless you are advocating throwing endless money away on unsustainable routes, there is going to be a continued rationalisation of the network on such routes. But it isn't the trunk routes that are affected currently so why franchise these as they operate fine as they are (bar the driver shortages mentioned above)?

Franchising is not the answer to anything bus related, it's a very expensive short term fix that won't solve any of the issues the industry faces. It's also ironic those advocating it are often those also moaning about the profit margins of private bus companies and how they want to return to the days of nationalisation. If anything, the opposite will happen and more tax payer money will be wasted.

So effectively what you are saying is that it is alright for Birmingham to have a bus service, but residents of Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall, who come under the same Combined Authority and have a combined population similar than Birmingham, can have cuts?

Franchising in both Manchester and London have attracted more operators bidding for routes than the current commercial/subsidised network in the WM area. I mean, some routes in the last WM tender round had only 1 bidder - whereas in the Franchise round for Manchester, even operators who have no operations there have been bidding for bus services.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Straightlines

Quote from: the trainbasher on February 10, 2023, 12:00:08 PMSo effectively what you are saying is that it is alright for Birmingham to have a bus service, but residents of Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall, who come under the same Combined Authority and have a combined population similar than Birmingham, can have cuts?

Franchising in both Manchester and London have attracted more operators bidding for routes than the current commercial/subsidised network in the WM area. I mean, some routes in the last WM tender round had only 1 bidder - whereas in the Franchise round for Manchester, even operators who have no operations there have been bidding for bus services.
Quote from: the trainbasher on February 10, 2023, 12:00:08 PMSo effectively what you are saying is that it is alright for Birmingham to have a bus service, but residents of Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall, who come under the same Combined Authority and have a combined population similar than Birmingham, can have cuts?

I think to describe the 002, 226 and 45 as 'peripheral routes not serving Birmingham' kind of shows his PLC driven mentality. In fact, I'm not sure what whether they serve or not serve Birmingham has to do with it at all!

Sandy Lane

This looks serious?
https://www.diamondbuses.com/news/45_002_226-services/

09 February 2023
Diamond Bus are currently reviewing the viability of our Commercial Services operating in the West Midlands County.

Commercial Services are the services which we operate without any level of subsidy. They are funded purely on the income through our ticket sales, the income received though accepting network cards (such as nBus and nNetwork) and National Concessionary Passes.

Unfortunately, all our Commercial Services are loss-making in the TfWM area.

Since COVID we have been working in partnership with Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) in the hope that these services would recover. Since the end of August 2022 we have continued to sustain losses. The decline in viability of these routes is linked to the escalation in labour and operating costs and the lack of income growth. In January 2023, service revisions were put in place to try and align the income and expenditure of these routes and improve their viability.     

This alignment has subsequently failed, and Diamond Bus has now reluctantly taken the decision to cancel our 45, 002 and 226 services from 15th April 2023. 

Through our partnership discussions, the long-established position was that 'Low Fare Zone' ticketing would be phased out and all fares would align to a consistent rate across the whole West Midlands region. In simple terms we were advised that the Sandwell & Dudley Low Fare Zone £3 Day Ticket would align to the current West Midlands £4 Day Ticket.

This is now expected not to happen, which means these services will continue to lose money. Diamond Bus, has therefore been left with no choice but to deregister these heavily loss-making services. 

Diamond will continue to work with TfWM, as they assess options to maintain service provision in those areas affected by these withdrawals and we will keep passengers updated with further details over the coming weeks.

the trainbasher

Yeah, it's been posted in the Diamond Tividale thread where there's a discussion about it

Sandy Lane

Sorry - didn't see it.
Best to close this then?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk