News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Long Routes.....

Started by Dutsey, March 27, 2024, 05:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B61 ANDREW

Quote from: Mike K on March 27, 2024, 10:34:03 PMCertainly not the longest distance but must be the route that takes the longest and most convoluted way to go not very far - Kev's 55 takes 1 hour 49 to get from Quinton to Longbridge.
Anyone out there actually done this route from end to end ??   :undecided:

ellspurs

If we're going historic, I remember catching the 192 Hereford - Leominster - Ludlow - Bewdley - Kidderminster - Halesowen - Birmingham in the mid-late 1990s, and that was a three hour trip one-way.

A bit closer to home, there used to be a route 98 that went from Asda at Hay Mills to Sheldon, Wheatsheaf, via most of East Birmingham. It took at least an hour to do the journey, and you ended up 10 minutes further down the road from where you started (both the terminus were on the Coventry Road).

the trainbasher

QuoteIf we're going historic, I remember catching the 192 Hereford - Leominster - Ludlow - Bewdley - Kidderminster - Halesowen - Birmingham in the mid-late 1990s, and that was a three hour trip one-way.

A bit closer to home, there used to be a route 98 that went from Asda at Hay Mills to Sheldon, Wheatsheaf, via most of East Birmingham. It took at least an hour to do the journey, and you ended up 10 minutes further down the road from where you started (both the terminus were on the Coventry Road).
Or in 1983 that would have been the X92 (according to my WMPTE Feb 1983 North Division timetable book)  :smiley:

iirc the 98 was a merger of two individual routes, the 661 Ward End - Pool Way and 662 Shard End - Sheldon

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

busfan2847

Quote from: the trainbasher on March 29, 2024, 07:08:45 PMOr in 1983 that would have been the X92 (according to my WMPTE Feb 1983 North Division timetable book)  :smiley:

Or on Sundays in 1988 the 92 operated by Birmingham Central. I have a photo of Metrobus 2359 climbing to the top of Clee Hill, heading to Hereford!

Stu

Quote from: ellspurs on March 29, 2024, 06:28:33 PMA bit closer to home, there used to be a route 98 that went from Asda at Hay Mills to Sheldon, Wheatsheaf, via most of East Birmingham. It took at least an hour to do the journey, and you ended up 10 minutes further down the road from where you started (both the terminus were on the Coventry Road).
Reminds me of the old 41 service, from memory it ran from Springfield to Hall Green Church, which were practically ten minutes apart if that, but went via much of east Birmingham and Solihull in a big loop, I believe the route actually crossed itself somewhere near Fox Hollies Road.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

karl724223

Old 966 airport to wolves 

j789

Made the mistake once of catching the 258 in Brum city centre to Merry Hill. Never again! That route went on for ever. Was even longer still when it went to Wolverhampton.

SO6597

Quote from: Mike K on March 28, 2024, 08:08:58 PMThe predecessor to the current 76, the 69 was a very long route, particularly at the point it ran Weoley Castle to Heartlands Hospital via most of south Birmingham and the moon.
For a brief period in Autumn 1993 it was even longer, running through to Frankley and interworking with a shortened 49 route.

Sandy Lane

Anyone remember De Courcey's 360A & 360C 31 mile circular route around Coventry?
Not sure what the journey time was though but reckon it ran every 30 mins?

Mike K

For one that never left the West Midlands county, the 900 when it ran Hasbury - Birmingham - Coventry was another long route.

Crosville

Quote from: MasterPlan on March 28, 2024, 11:49:29 PMDon't forget the 49 which replaced the 69 by extending to terminate at Weoley Castle. Now that was a long route to Solihull too.

And the version of the 48 which took place after the network review in 2018. Where instead of going straight to Weoley Castle and Northfield after the QE it went round Hawkseley etc to replace the 84.

I do remember getting the 49 Solihull-Northfield end to end a load of times very long route that took 90 minutes.

35 Birmingham-Kings Heath which did a long convoluted loop from Kings Heath via Hawksley & Northfield to Kings Heath think took 90 minutes, may have taken longer, & had to be operated by single deckers because it went under the low bridge at Bournville

Rachvince53

Quote from: Sandy Lane on March 29, 2024, 09:35:15 PMAnyone remember De Courcey's 360A & 360C 31 mile circular route around Coventry?
Not sure what the journey time was though but reckon it ran every 30 mins?
Yep. It didn't last long as it suffered badly from traffic congestion.  

Rachvince53

X64 Birmingham to Corby run by Stagecoach United Counties took over 3 hours. Normally operated by coaches, the odd Leyland Olympian also was used on it.

frostjay974

During peak times a full journey on the 54/54A can take around an hour and 40 minutes 

jasmine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk